After the EOS R3, Canon will introduce new “affordable” RF mount cameras [CR1]

Tronhard

Tronhard
Jan 7, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
I've been shooting a lot with the R5 at 1.6 crop and actually, it is quite brilliant.

It seems kind of ironic that you posted an image from a 3mp sensor and simultaneously seemed to imply that an image from a 17 mp sensor is unusable.

I understand that many people want something closer to the 90D for a crop sensor R body. But, I wouldn't dismiss the versatility of the R5, which gives you a full frame body when you want it and a very nice crop body when you want that. Plus, it is available today.
As regards to your last paragraph. I clearly stated that this related to my own preferences in shooting. The R5 is not for me - I would be paying for video capability and a Express CF card that I neither want nor need. Personally, I would like to see a R7, and a replacement for the EOS 5DsR with a very large capacity sensor for landscape and cropping, and without all the video stuff, which I don't use. That may not be your position and that's fine.

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Personally, I would like to see a R7, and a replacement for the EOS 5DsR with a very large capacity sensor for landscape and cropping, and without all the video stuff, which I don't use. That may not be your position and that's fine.
Since video became a feature of mainstream ILCs, there has been exactly one that launched without video, and while Nikon’s Df was advertised as ‘pure photography’, in reality it was a pure flop.

So your position is that you wish for a rainbow-farting unicorn and that’s fine.

• Haha
Reactions: SteveC and Dragon

Tronhard

Tronhard
Jan 7, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
Since video became a feature of mainstream ILCs, there has been exactly one that launched without video, and while Nikon’s Df was advertised as ‘pure photography’, in reality it was a pure flop.

So your position is that you wish for a rainbow-farting unicorn and that’s fine.
I am not sure why you felt compelled to write what was more of a trolling post than something constructive, but I would suggest it says more about you than me. I simply expressed my own preference, which is perfectly valid and I did so with respect, something your post certainly lacks.

As regards the desire for a photographer-centric camera, there are a LOT of photographers out there who don't shoot video, and while the inclusion of video features that were not used may not have been a matter for concern previously, for that constituency the use of expensive Express CF cards to accommodate high-end video adds a completely unnecessary and expensive aspect to the purchase price and associated costs without any benefit to them.

I have used the Nikon Df and it is a great camera for its specific purpose. It was rubbished when it came out by people who had no tolerance for a different type of camera and who usually had not even tried to use it. Since then, those who have used it have rated it as an excellent still photographers' camera, with the excellent D4 processor tweaked for low light work - it had had a specific market and there is nothing wrong with that. I recommend looking at the user reviews on the web. I have used it in low light shooting with excellent results.

I have no desire to undermine or denigrate your desires for particular characteristics in a camera, please offer me the respect of allowing me to express my own.

Last edited:

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Attempts at humor often often fail on the internet, my apologies.

Anyone is free to express their desire for a particular feature (or omission thereof), or product. Such desires should be tempered with reality. For example, I may say that I want a 70-400mm f/2 lens with excellent IQ and with the approximate size and weight of my 24-70/2.8. Given that such a desire isn’t realistic, I might reasonably expect the expression of such a desire to be met with some humorous replies.

Also, to be clear, I meant the Df was a commercial/sales flop. Seemed like a perfectly good camera, though.

FWIW, I’ve shot a total of about 3 seconds of video footage on my DSLRs, and that was accidentally on my 1D X while I was fiddling with button customization.

Tronhard

Tronhard
Jan 7, 2021
Auckland, New Zealand
Attempts at humor often often fail on the internet, my apologies.

Anyone is free to express their desire for a particular feature (or omission thereof), or product. Such desires should be tempered with reality. For example, I may say that I want a 70-400mm f/2 lens with excellent IQ and with the approximate size and weight of my 24-70/2.8. Given that such a desire isn’t realistic, I might reasonably expect the expression of such a desire to be met with some humorous replies.

Also, to be clear, I meant the Df was a commercial/sales flop. Seemed like a perfectly good camera, though.

FWIW, I’ve shot a total of about 3 seconds of video footage on my DSLRs, and that was accidentally on my 1D X while I was fiddling with button customization.
Thank you for clarifying your intent. Perhaps the odd smiley imogy might be apropos - written language is hamstrung by the lack of body language and vocal tones that tell everyone the actual context of a statement. :)

I suspect you are right about the Df in commercial terms, but is IS an awesome camera and as one reviewer commented, it is bought with the heart rather than the head. I have a LOT of Canon gear but I broke ranks to get the Df because it felt like the Nikon and Canon bodies I used when I first started my career back in the early 1980's. I shot with both systems until I went digital and chose Canon for the glass. I was saddened by the torrent of vitriol aimed at it by those who never used it or understood the specific intent of the camera. It seems the new Nikon Zfc is likely to be more popular, although I am disappointed it has a crop sensor - perhaps a Zf will appear at some stage, in keeping with the cameras it would honour.

As to a photographer-focused body... Canon have made the effort to cater for the videographers with the newly released Canon EOS5c, and I have seen rumours of the potential existence of a replacement for the EOS 5DsR, a body I own and use on occasion and which could well be biased in favour of stills photographers rather than video - pushing 100+MP of high-resolution video through the system would make the current heating issues look insignificant.

For the crop sensor body, I and many others have expressed a desire for a crop sensor for those of us shooting at the super-tele end. The benefits of pixel-density with the narrow FoV are specific to tele users, and an R7 would not be aimed at the low end.

Really, I can express what I want and, like everyone else, I shall await the 'manna from heaven'! :)

Reactions: neuroanatomist