Any idea when the 24-70 f/4 L is going to be cheaper?

A bit of a ramble, but just looking for some feedback.

I shoot on a 6D, I recently damaged the focus ring on my 24-105L, and repair for it was quoted at $300. The ring is very stiff to rotate, which basically makes me unable to smoothly focus while shooting video. The autofocus still works fine though, so I continue to use it for still photography, which is about 85% of the work I do anyway. The lens is less than a year old, but even that with what it is worth, I'm a bit hesitant to spend that money on a repair that isn't critical.

I have an idea to try to sell the lens for a low-ball amount as-is (maybe $400), thinking someone who only shoots stills may find use for it. I also have a 17-55 f/2.8 that I was using before I got the 6D, and it pretty much useless to me now since I can't mount it on a full-frame. My reasoning is that if I sell both lenses, I can put the money towards the new 24-70 f/4.

Being that it is still so new though, the price is a bit high for my tastes. It is no doubt an excellent lens, but for the compromises it makes (35mm shorter, while still being f/4) I'd rather not dump $1500 on it. Anyone that tracks prices know when it may come down a little in price? Or should I just bite the bullet and spend $300 repairing my 24-105, pretty much hold onto that one forever? I also regularly shoot with a 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8, so I'm not sunk at the moment, it's just a bit of a bummer.

Xarathion said:

I shoot on a 6D, I recently damaged the focus ring on my 24-105L, and repair for it was quoted at $300. The ring is very stiff to rotate, which basically makes me unable to smoothly focus while shooting video. The autofocus still works fine though, so I continue to use it for still photography, which is about 85% of the work I do anyway. The lens is less than a year old, but even that with what it is worth, I'm a bit hesitant to spend that money on a repair that isn't critical.

I have an idea to try to sell the lens for a low-ball amount as-is (maybe $400), thinking someone who only shoots stills may find use for it. I also have a 17-55 f/2.8 that I was using before I got the 6D, and it pretty much useless to me now since I can't mount it on a full-frame. My reasoning is that if I sell both lenses, I can put the money towards the new 24-70 f/4.

Being that it is still so new though, the price is a bit high for my tastes. It is no doubt an excellent lens, but for the compromises it makes (35mm shorter, while still being f/4) I'd rather not dump $1500 on it. Anyone that tracks prices know when it may come down a little in price? Or should I just bite the bullet and spend $300 repairing my 24-105, pretty much hold onto that one forever? I also regularly shoot with a 50 f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8, so I'm not sunk at the moment, it's just a bit of a bummer.

Just an idea, why not look at the Tamron 24-70 VC or the Canon 24-70 F2.8 Mark I (2nd hand)? They might be also within range of your money (from the 24-105 + 17-55). Anyway, good luck hunting.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
verysimplejason said:
Just an idea, why not look at the Tamron 24-70 VC or the Canon 24-70 F2.8 Mark I (2nd hand)? They might be also within range of your money (from the 24-105 + 17-55). Anyway, good luck hunting.
Tamron is a good idea. Im betting that the VC/IS is important for shooting video, thus why the Mark 1 might not work.

That said, prices usually drop in the fall as we approach the holiday season. Oct and Nov usually bring good deals. Id wait for a new round of rebates; if the 24-70 hasnt been selling well, it'll get a big instant rebate

Upvote 0
Xarathion said:

It's dropped to $1025 a few times at Adorama and other places. Some new copies on ebay also went $1050-1100.

Upvote 0