Any new word on the R1?

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I saw a YouTube video the other day that was talking a bit about the coming Canon R1.
It mentioned that Canon might be announcing it in October.

It has grown fairly silent here on the R1...and new news? The projected price on that video was between $5999-$6999.

If that's the case, I'm not doing too bad in my savings for a new Canon.....

Anyway, anyone know or heard anything?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I have yet to see a YouTube video that had any actual information that hasn't appeared here first. They need content, so they just repeat what this and other rumor sites have reported up to now. In other words, absolutely no actual information. So my guess is what you saw was totally fabricated.
They did quote a bit from CR.....so, you may be right.

Upvote 0
Good Catch...I missed that.

Even so with that price...I could swing it by the time it is released.
Agree with neuro. On top of the R3's $5999, the 1DX Mk III is $6499, so my guess would be at least $6999, and more likely higher than that. Canon would want differentiate between the R3 and the R1 also in pricing, as not to cut off the R3 sales. That is, unless the feature sets of the two are sufficiently different that they would appeal to very different user groups. Say R1 is super high resolution but relatively low fps (say, 100Mpix & 6-8 fps) , vs the R3's 24Mpix and 30fps.

A pricing differential brings me to neuros bracket of $7499-$7999, if not even more.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...Canon would want differentiate between the R3 and the R1 also in pricing, as not to cut off the R3 sales....
Why would Canon be concerned that a higher-priced camera would cut into sales of a lower-priced camera?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Why would Canon be concerned that a higher-priced camera would cut into sales of a lower-priced camera?
Presumably the idea would be to keep people from buying the R3 instead of the R1. But I’m sure Canon will price both of them to yield ROI, and in the end they are fine if people buy either model.

Upvote 0