Any problems with your 60D? What are things you don't like about 60D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paeataa

Hi all,

I still don't own my first DSLR yet. I was about to get a Nikon D7000, but have heard a lot of complaints about dead pixels in video shooting. That makes me hesitate about getting one right now. Other than that, people are talking about how great the photos produced by the D7000 are.

Turning back to the Canon side, I have not seen/heard any major issues so far. So I wondered if anyone have concerns about their 60Ds or don't like anything about the 60D.

I am still in love with the rotating screen. This is a big plus for the 60D. But most of my friends are using Nikon, and they keep saying good things about their cameras. I just wanted to make sure that I do not go wrong with my decision. It'll be my first DSLR ever!

I'll get either 60D or D7000 by Thanksgiving (kinda wait for black Friday) :)

Thanks a lot! I'd appreciate your suggestion.

paeataa said:
I was about to get a Nikon D7000, but have heard a lot of complaints about dead pixels in video shooting.

Can't you return it if it has bad pixels? Or try it when you before you commit? I agree that the swivel screen is a great feature on the 60D, but if most of your friends have Nikon, I'd still go for the D7000 (so you can trade lenses with them :) ). Currently the D7000 also seems to be the better deal, feature wise (compared to 60D).

Upvote 0
There's a lot of factors that could influence which brand of DSLR you end up with. In my case, I picked Canon because I have friends around me who have healthy collections of EF lens (i.e. easier to get my hands on and try out different lenses).

If your friends are generous enough to let you borrow their Nikkor lenses, by all means get a Nikon body. However, if you have to rely on your own collection, then both would be valid options since you won't have the burden of existing lenses.

As for picking bodies, I would suggest waiting for three-to-six months before you invest on a newly released body. For one thing, the verdict would be pretty much set by that time - whether it's a classic or a bomb. Furthermore, the supply should be adequate and the price would have gone down a bit too. Unless you really have important events that you'd absolutely need a camera (you can also considering renting one if you don't want to make the choice yet), waiting for the dust to settle a bit would be a better choice.

PS: regarding so little heard about 60D, my guess would be either that not many people are buying the camera or that there's not much problems with it.

Upvote 0
J

jtp680

Canon 60D has an excellent picture quality. I like its ergonomy, swivel screen is simply something very useful. I wish they had left the old exposure compensation "shortcut" in place. Now accessing it is slightly slower than it used to be with e.g. 350D.

However, video quality might be an issue. I sent my 60D body to warranty inspection/repair/replacement for excessive noise and overall lack of quality, when compared what the sensor can deliver.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

epsiloneri said:
but if most of your friends have Nikon, I'd still go for the D7000 (so you can trade lenses with them :) ).
Ha, ha...worst suggestion ever. Lenses lost, friends lost. I wouldn't loan out any of my lenses, except maybe for the film-era EF 24-90mm III which I wouldn't care about losing.
jtp680 said:
However, video quality might be an issue. I sent my 60D body to warranty inspection/repair/replacement for excessive noise and overall lack of quality, when compared what the sensor can deliver.
Any video samples to share with us? This is really very vague. Either you came to be an expert on what the sensor is capable of overnight, or you think it fares poorly to video from other 60D cameras; not sure what you mean. And I bet that it's better than my T1i still.

Upvote 0
S

Strike179

Dude, i was just in your position. It was either the D7000 or the 60D and I chose the 60D. It is my very first DSLR. I simply chose it because of the screen. I figured i'd be more comfortable with that screen. Also, knowing people who prefer Canon all the way may have caused me to think the same.

If your friends got Nikons, perhaps you can borrow their lenses, which would be great.

I'm loving my cam so far. Just gotta find out what kind of accessories i should get.

Oh, and thanks to this website, i have made the 60D my choice. I've been visiting this site for a year now, just waiting and waiting for this cam to come out.

Upvote 0
Edwin Herdman said:
epsiloneri said:
but if most of your friends have Nikon, I'd still go for the D7000 (so you can trade lenses with them :) ).
Ha, ha...worst suggestion ever. Lenses lost, friends lost. I wouldn't loan out any of my lenses, except maybe for the film-era EF 24-90mm III which I wouldn't care about losing.

Well... I guess it depends on your friends. I have no problems in trading lenses with my friends. Of course I would fully expect a lost lens to be replaced, that goes without saying, it's part of the deal. I'd do the same. I think lens-sharing is perfect for specialty lenses you don't use/need that often, like fish eye, macro, tip-tilt, super tele.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

epsiloneri said:
I think lens-sharing is perfect for specialty lenses you don't use/need that often, like fish eye, macro, tip-tilt, super tele.
Recently my "tip-tilt" has been used in almost every picture I've shot the last few months (not doing a lot of people photos or distant landscapes so the 50mm stays in the bag), but even if it wasn't, the waves of horror that wash through my system when I imagine somebody carelessly tagging something with the protruding front element or dropping it straight down have me convinced that's a sad story in the making.

If it were the 24mm, and there were a prophylactic filter on front, I wouldn't mind quite so much, I'm sure. But I think that the special handling and skills needed to use those particular specialty lenses would give me pause. They might leave the tilts or shifts unlocked, there are lots of inadvertent boneheaded things people can do with that particular lens. I haven't done any of them, but like I said it's my baby.

Obviously a pro pool is another story.

Upvote 0
Well, as I said, I guess it depends on your friends. I assume you wouldn't lend them your car either then, since a lens usually isn't more expensive than a car (or even the service costs to a repair a damaged car).

But I think I start to see your point: it's the loss of control that worries you. Even if you got the lens back in apparent perfect condition, how do you know it had been handled with perfect care?

Regarding a pro pool, I have a feeling amateurs are much more touchy about their gear than pros. A minute scratch on the front lens of no consequence for the IQ would in general not bother a pro while an amateur with a personal attachment to the lens would be devastated. In general, I say, but I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions on both sides.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
epsiloneri said:
Regarding a pro pool, I have a feeling amateurs are much more touchy about their gear than pros. A minute scratch on the front lens of no consequence for the IQ would in general not bother a pro while an amateur with a personal attachment to the lens would be devastated. In general, I say, but I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions on both sides.
Totally agree, Pros treat their camera and lens as tools. They do not baby their tools. Amateur treat their gears as toys. They are a lot more sensitive about their toys.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.