Any thing Shot with a 5ds/r

As some of you know, I always start with a number of shots of The Local Lion. No new camera or lens without a series of good cat images ;)

The camera is over exposing, so I have to under expose a bit. On this first one I have only lower highlight a bit, to get some structure in his white fur. Look at the shadows. They look good to me.

Attachments

• _23A0004.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 846
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Eldar said:
This is the same image. Just for the example, since we have a couple of thousand posts about shadow noise, I have lifted shadows +100 in LR. (Highlights still a bit down). Everything else is default LR settings. Judge for yourselves.

I think we have the answer to the questions posed

Indeed the identical wording was used on two continents with one specifically saying "Canon are telling us". The other enlarged his "equivalent to the 5D MkIII in traditional measuring terms" comment and specifically said "but there's a much lower noise floor, so therefore more ability to pull out detail in the shadows and highlights". There is no contradiction in these comments.

What they mean by equivalent when used in a sentence with 'in traditional measuring terms' is the only bit open to interpretation, and I am not interested in the forums pontifications only the fact that Canon have said there is a difference. How much and how useful that difference might be to me will have to wait until I get a challenging RAW file to play with.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=25033.msg494627#msg494627

Maybe some of the doubters will now back off a bit? No chance, but those lucky new owners certainly have what looks to be a very good performing camera.

For a good time there I was the only one paying attention to the very carefully worded comments by Canon, and it does mean we can have a more structured debate on what "traditionally measured" actually means because when I measured film DR years ago we actually had truly different DR capacities depending on the emulsion density and the density of the recording media (dye or silver etc), not just the same number range in a 16 bit file with more or less noise.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Eldar said:
This is the same image. Just for the example, since we have a couple of thousand posts about shadow noise, I have lifted shadows +100 in LR. (Highlights still a bit down). Everything else is default LR settings. Judge for yourselves.

Those shadows boosted look fine to me. This DR crap has been going on for far too long, and this camera shows that it performs perfectly well with such a huge megapixel count.

Nice cat, BTW.

Upvote 0
R1-7D said:
Eldar said:

Those shadows boosted look fine to me. This DR crap has been going on for far too long, and this camera shows that it performs perfectly well with such a huge megapixel count.

Nice cat, BTW.
me to I'm very happy wonderful shots

Upvote 0
For the most part, I'm pretty impressed with my 5Ds R. The improvement in detail is as dramatic as you'd expect. I can't post a 100% crop at the moment, but in this image, I can see the expiration date on the sailboat's license tag:
http://livingwilderness.photoshelter.com/image/I0000ELYlqPYMQIo

I also really like the color rendition. Here's a one-second (+/-) exposure:
http://livingwilderness.photoshelter.com/image/I0000a67hYxmzX.M

I briefly had a chance to experiment with shadow recovery. I shot a frame that included the sun. A ferry that was crossing the sound was nearly in silhouette in the JPEG. When I boosted the shadows +100 in Photoshop, I could actually read the name of the ferry. It lost a bit of the color, but the noise level in those extremely boosted shadows was surprisingly low. I'll post it when I have a bit more time.

Upvote 0