Anyone have experience with EF-S 24mm STM and a gear overhaul

So I'm considering a change in my gear and would appreciate others thoughts on the matter.

I currently own a t4i and the 17-55 2.8. I've had this combo for about a year and a half. Prior to that I had the old 35mm 2.0, 50mm 1.8, and 85 1.8 (and the kit lens).

I was never impressed with the 35 and found the 50mm equivalent focal length uninspiring. I enjoyed the 50mm 1.8, but found the bokeh... blahhh. LOVED the 85 when that focal length fit with what I was shooting, but found it too tight most of the time or not long enough the rest of the time.

The problem with all of it was I have small kids, who move about... and I found the primes too restrictive as they were coming closer and farther away all the time. So, I sold the three lenses to finance my purchase of the 17-55 2.8.

I've found it to be a good lens, though not as impressed with it at 2.8 (at least my copy. could be focal calibration issues which I haven't tested because it wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyways with the t4i).

Here's the rub. As an every day combo, I find myself taking it out less and less because it is an unwieldy combo with the battery grip on, which I find I need for balance and to prevent my pinky from cramping as it falls below the base of the camera. Also, one of my daughters is now in various sports activities and I would like a longer lens for those.

I have NO money to spend. NOT ONE DIME. So if I'm to change things up, I need to do it within the budjet of what I could get for my 17-55 (including a polariser and ND filter). I figure I could definitely get $650 (I live near Vancouver BC) which is what I paid for it.

I'm contemplating ditching the battery grip and going for a minimalist approach. Get the 24mm 2.8 stm pancake which I would keep on all the time. Get the new 50mm 1.8 STM (I'm assuming better bokeh with the 7 blade apateur, I never like the old pentagram, we'll see) for portraiture, and I could also pick up a 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM for $300 on craigslist for the tele end. I would still have the kit lens if I need to go wider.

I would only pull out the other lenses when I think I would need them and essentially keep my t4i and 24mm as a small, light, camera to take everywhere. I'm well aware of the saying the best camera is the one you have on you, and I anticipate I would have this camera combo on me far more often.

After taxes on the 24 and 50mm (they would be new) and the used 70 - 300, it would all come out to be under my $650 budget.

Thoughts from the community? Especially those with experience using the 24mm 2.8. Alternative recommendations? I really do miss the pop my primes had compared to the 17-55mm. Not to mention f1.8. I wish could have it all, especially the 85 1.8. But due to budgetary constraints I can't and I really need the longer focal lengths as my daughter is playing outdoor soccer and getting closer is often not an option.

Ideally I would get the 70-200 f4 (non-IS). But that would eat up all my money and I would have none leftover.

Thanks in advance for any reply's and suggestions.

Hi, I have the 24 stm. It's a great lens I think, quite sharp. Focus speed is not the swiftest, it vignettes wide open and focus accuracy is sometimes inconsistent (however this could be user error from not enough practice). But the size and weight are great, the build quality is good and the focal length is handy. I really like this lens and the more I use it the more I'm liking it and I'm sure once I learn its quirks the negatives will disappear. I use it on a 100d and occasionally a 7d.

Upvote 0
I understand your desire for a smaller and lighter lens, but personally I would miss not having a zoom lens for kids playing. We have a 3-year old son and I have tried taking my 6D and 35mm f/2 IS to the playground (equivalent focal length to your T4i and 24mm STM). I've taken some great shots, but feel like I miss quite a few as well. I had to crop heavily at times as the focal length was too short. For me, my standard zoom (24-70) works much better, YMMV. I understand the 24mm STM is an excellent lens.

I second the recommendation for the 55-250 STM instead of a 70-300 (non L) if you decide to sell your 17-55. I have a friend who sold his 70-300 and bought the newer 55-250 and he is very happy with the new lens. Its better optically and smaller (13 ounces vs 22 ounces) for less money. You give up a little reach, but otherwise is better all around. Here are image crops from both lenses:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=856&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=0&LensComp=358&CameraComp=736&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=3&APIComp=2

Upvote 0

Eagle Eye

Recovering Full-Framer
CR Pro
Jul 5, 2011
Virginia
Third for the EF-S 55-250mm. I used version II professionally (how can you shoot professionally on non-L lenses??) for several years because the 70-300 was too big (low profile was important, hence exclusion of any L). I felt like the 55-250 II was just as good as the 70-300. STM version supposedly has better optics than version II. 24mm pancake, 50mm 1.8 STM, and 55-250mm STM sounds like a solid setup to me. You'll lose the 17mm focal length, but if you really miss it you can always add a 10-18mm for $250 down the road.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think you hit on the issue in your comments. The T4i does not have the capability to fine tune lens AF. This becomes a issue with f/2.8 and wider lenses, since a little misadjustment shows up in the images. Every lens is a little different, and consumer lenses tend to have more issues that only are visible at full aperture.

You may be wasting money to buy more lenses to fix the issue. In your case, I'd upgrade to a 70D and sell the T4i.

This is a case whereby you cane fine tune all of your Canon lenses for accurate AF at a cost that is far less than sending them plus your camera to Canon for minor adjustments.

A Refurb 70D is $700, and will likely go on sale over Memorial Day. Sell your T4i to help pay for it. Then use your excellent 17-55. If its still not excellent, and under warranty, send it in for repair. Always test a new lens when you receive it. Be ruthless and return it if its not as expected.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-70d-body-refurbished

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Gnocchi said:
Also, have you considered the 55-250 stm for your Tele lens? It is suppose to be a very good lens and very cheap to! I have no experience with this lens by the way, just putting it out there.

+1

The 70-300 always feels like a compromise. I say either go budget, or go big. Aka, the 70-200 is want you ideally want, the 70-300 will be the "I should have just spent the extra few bucks" where as the new 55-250 stm is the "good value" route. Plus, it is, in comparison, small and light and will fit into your minimalist kit concept.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
bholliman said:
I understand your desire for a smaller and lighter lens, but personally I would miss not having a zoom lens for kids playing.

I respectively disagree. I've been chasing the kids around for years with primes only and prefer it to zooms. For me the zoom range is just one more thing I don't have to think about during all the "action". Just requires a little foresight to pick the right FL (lens) in advance for the situation. But hey, it's obviously personal preference. My good photo buddy would probably lean your way. Loves the new 24-70 f/4L. Of course he's added a Fuji kit with only primes and that is causing him to think differently.

Lot of good advice in here. As a T2i owner and a 70D owner I can definitely vouch for the body upgrade. I've never used the 17-55 f/2.8, but I'd think it would be a great match with the 70D, especially ergonomically. I'm guessing that lens feels a little big on a Rebel sized body.

Back to the original question/plan. I actually really like it. That new nifty fifty should really fix the bokeh quality and that price is just a no brainer. As to the 24mm pancake, I love it. I preordered it not long after it was announced. The STM pancakes are not the fastest focusing lenses, however, as long as you are not trying to pull from MFD to infinity or vice versa, it's plenty fast enough, even to capture running kids. You might miss a shot here or there, but generally speaking 24mm at f/2.8 on crop gives a pretty good DOF to begin with. I don't have many shots on flickr, but I have a few more on google+, let me see if I can grab one or two.

couple from last Thanksgiving, sledding.

Grandma and my daughter. I liked the breath in the air, it was 10 degrees F out I believe.
https://plus.google.com/photos/103732846550292449582/albums/6091061200681005681/6091061227052421906?banner=pwa&authkey=CKS8p-Txj-be3AE&pid=6091061227052421906&oid=103732846550292449582

https://plus.google.com/photos/103732846550292449582/albums/6091061200681005681/6091061260786048978?banner=pwa&authkey=CKS8p-Txj-be3AE&pid=6091061260786048978&oid=103732846550292449582

It's a sharp lens. I've been happy with it. I like to pop it on the Rebel or 70D and just carry it around in a little mirrorless mover 10.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Upvote 0
Thank you all for your advice. It's been really helpful.

Unfortunately, a body upgrade is out of the picture. Otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the 70D. One of these days I'll get around to testing my focus to see if that is in fact the issue. I bought my 17-55 used, so no return policy there. But I figure I could sell it for what I paid for it.

As for switching from the zoom to primes... that is my biggest concern. That is why I sold my primes and went to the zoom... and now I want to go back!! lol. So I'm not really sure what I want anymore, other than a tele lens. Which is out of the question unless I sell my 17-55... which I don't want to do unless I have to. So many decisions, so little money.

I used the body grip on my t4i because the 17-55 is WAY too big for the body. Very front heavy and the grip balances it out more and gives me a better hold.

Not yet sure where I'll land on this. But again, ty for your opinions.

Upvote 0