Anyone using the EVF-DC1 Electronic Viewfinder on M3???

Jul 21, 2010
koenkooi said:
Random Orbits said:
koenkooi said:
Random Orbits said:
On a separate note, have others noticed that pics played back on the LCD are not sharp when magnified? I shoot RAW only, and all my pics were blurry at the pixel level.

All the EOS cameras I've worked with so far seem to have that problem when shooting exclusively in RAW.

Interesting. I never noticed it as much on the 5DIII. The effect is a lot less at lower ISOs, but it's still more than the 5DIII.

I suspect it's not doing any sharpening or denoise on the RAW data during playback. But that's just a suspicion, I haven't bothered to verify that :)

Nope. You never see the RAW image on your camera. For every RAW shot, the camera also creates a small JPG image using whatever settings you have applied (picture style, ALO, NR, etc.), and stores that JPG preview inside the .CR2 file container. The JPG image is what you see on the camera LCD; it's also used to generate the histogram(s) and highlight warnings ('blinkies'), meaning you may have more latitude than you think.

That JPG preview is also why many RAW converters show an image first as 'low res' then a clean image – the initial view is the JPG scaled up and shown while the RAW image loads.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Ivan Muller said:
I am old school and one of the main reasons I bought the M3 was the possibility of adding the EVF. In fact if it didn't have that capability I would not have bought it.

Having said that I used the M3 extensively as a travel camera in Europe over three weeks without the EVF because I couldn't get one before my trip and it worked well especially as a'street' camera where I used it hanging at my waist and using the tilt screen at horizontal position. People didn't actually realize that I was taking a pic because I was looking down instead of at them...

But I think the EVF transforms the slightly disappointing M3 into something much better. I have found that my EF tele lenses are just so much easier to use with the EVF, especially when using MF which I surprisingly use a lot because the AF is so iffy. There is just something very 'wrong' in using a tele lens at arms length imo!

This is my first experience in using a EVF and visually it was a seamless transition and I am actually quite impressed at how clear and 'optical' it looks. And personally the EVF on top looks kind of cool to me and I carry it with me everyday and it just works well. It is very light yet feels well build with a lock mechanism so it cant fall of...it would have been nice if the tilt mechanism was a bit stiffer but I cant say it has been a bother so far...

so yes I feel it is a must have, I use it all the time even with wider lenses and with my tele lenses it is just perfect!

Enclosed a shot from my kitchen window of a Grey go away bird eating a plum blossom using the EVF. Manual focus on my 70-300L at Iso 800 and about a 50% crop....now I am not a birder at all but I was quite impressed how easy it was to get this shot with the M3 and how good the quality of the sensor is...makes it easier to forget the negatives of the camera...

http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.co.za/2015/09/canon-eos-m3-review-third-time-lucky.html

This is what i thought at first, and i still like the evf- but i think its a negative more than a positive. its great that it can tilt upward, but then when handling it, it becomes a problem that i can tilt upward unintentionally.

ill keep the evf, get rid of the body.

I am also totally not impressed with this sensor. And for some reason, it makes the 22f2 create large amount of chromatic aberration and green fringing. Not so on the M1.

I want to love it..but it think i just cant.

Upvote 0
yes the M3 was not Canon's best moment...but I am keeping mine as a backup because it can use all my EF lenses and because I am, contrary to your experience, actually quite impressed with the image quality and because I can carry it with me all day long because of its small size...and at the moment in my valley its the cheapest mirrorless around....and I shoot a lot of B&W and I sort of quite like the files I am getting from it...

But this new fuji XPro 2 sure looks like a nice camera and I just cant understand how Fuji can do it and Canon cant (or wont)...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Mr_Canuck said:
I'm looking for the ideal hiking setup, and the M3 with 11-22mm seems like the jig. But I'm a viewfinder kinda guy and wondering how the DC1 works in real life. Sounds like the quality is there, but having that appendage on top of the camera seems dodgy. Any personal experience you can tell me about?

I don't notice it when it's on. having the ability to tilt the EVF and look down into it, is amazing.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Ivan Muller said:
yes the M3 was not Canon's best moment...but I am keeping mine as a backup because it can use all my EF lenses and because I am, contrary to your experience, actually quite impressed with the image quality and because I can carry it with me all day long because of its small size...and at the moment in my valley its the cheapest mirrorless around....and I shoot a lot of B&W and I sort of quite like the files I am getting from it...

But this new fuji XPro 2 sure looks like a nice camera and I just cant understand how Fuji can do it and Canon cant (or wont)...

the Xpro2 is $1600 .. the M3 was what? under $500?

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
I keep my evf in my M3 gear bag at all times. I'm in Florida and I do find myself using it often, when I'm outside. Never use it inside or in shade... That said, I feel like it works very, very well when I do use it. I bought mine with my 3-ef-m lenses on Amazon Japan and only paid around $650 US at the time for the M3, M11-22m, M55-200, M18-55 and the EF adapter and the evf. It was a great deal but I don't use it often, as it doesn't often work for some of the low light situations I find myself in. I will say that I love the flash as well. I slip my finger under it and use it as bounce flash off the ceiling. For what it is, it's pretty capable but shooting more often with my 5D3, it's hard sometimes looking at the IQ and the noise.. But I like it okay. Hoping Canon comes out with that landmark full frame mirrorless! ::)

Upvote 0
Krob78 said:
I keep my evf in my M3 gear bag at all times. I'm in Florida and I do find myself using it often, when I'm outside. Never use it inside or in shade... That said, I feel like it works very, very well when I do use it. I bought mine with my 3-ef-m lenses on Amazon Japan and only paid around $650 US at the time for the M3, M11-22m, M55-200, M18-55 and the EF adapter and the evf. It was a great deal but I don't use it often, as it doesn't often work for some of the low light situations I find myself in. I will say that I love the flash as well. I slip my finger under it and use it as bounce flash off the ceiling. For what it is, it's pretty capable but shooting more often with my 5D3, it's hard sometimes looking at the IQ and the noise.. But I like it okay. Hoping Canon comes out with that landmark full frame mirrorless! ::)

Could you share how to order on Amazon japan and get it shipped to outside of Japan? Don't you need a Japan address? I couldn't find a way to do that.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Ivan Muller said:
I look forward to your review!

The one major advantage of mirrorless so far has been the ease of using MF lenses.

I'm rather fond of the size and weight as well...

The Rokinons look interesting, but MF lenses just can't keep up with the speed of the mighty M. Eventually, Canon has to release some fast primes to go with the surprise mirrorless that's going to be released someday, right? I also like the articulating and detachable EVF.

Upvote 0