Anything Shot with a G1X Mark II

Mar 25, 2011
I've looked at them 4 times now, the 4th time was this morning. I have the MK I. The images are said to be slightly noiser on the MK II, due to the smaller area of the sensor in use. (Its the same sensor). I like the touch screen, the improved lens, the flip up screen is a wash compared to the swivel screen on the MK I. It dies have WiFi, but its said to be klutzy. $800 for a camera with no viewfinder seems silly, and I would not add $300 more to get the viewfinder. I can get a 70D for less.

Looking at the price, I decided that upgrading wasn't worth the $$$, so I'm waiting for the price drop this fall..

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I've looked at them 4 times now, the 4th time was this morning. I have the MK I. The images are said to be slightly noiser on the MK II, due to the smaller area of the sensor in use. (Its the same sensor). I like the touch screen, the improved lens, the flip up screen is a wash compared to the swivel screen on the MK I. It dies have WiFi, but its said to be klutzy. $800 for a camera with no viewfinder seems silly, and I would not add $300 more to get the viewfinder. I can get a 70D for less.

Looking at the price, I decided that upgrading wasn't worth the $$$, so I'm waiting for the price drop this fall..

Well, I finally decided to sell my MK I and get the MK II.

There were a lot of things that were improvements.
1. The wider, faster, and longer lens
2. The much faster autofocus, its heads and shoulders faster.
3. I can finally focus closely, almost macro.
4. The 3:2 LCD rather that the 4:3 one.
5. The lens finally has a shutter.
6. Just as in the MK I, the large sensor was the deciding factor over the 1" sensor bodies with better WI-FI.
7. The touch screen is also a bit strange, it seems to hang up occasionally, or at least it does not respond reliably to my touch. I have a touch screen stylus for my tablet, and it works great.

Not so good things: (I admit I'm spoiled by my 5D MK III and all the 1 series bodies I've owned) Its interesting to note that the Wi-Fi issue was also noted in the DPR review, its worse than they noted, IMHO.

1. I'd list Wi-Fi as a pro, but it is truly klutzy, it works, sort of, but what were they thinking?
2. I also found my first try at autofocusing in dim shadows indoors was difficult. The AF assist light did come on, and that worked, but for some reason, it did not come on at first.

3. 12MP is enough, as long as you do not crop a lot. I'd like 16MP.

I'll likely post some photos later, I spent half the day fooling with Wi-Fi and learning how it works. I never could hook it up to my wife's Flickr Account, and it disconnects after 10 sec when linking to my computer. It uploads to Facebook and the Canon Image site just fine. Then, the images download back to my computer from the Canon site. I think someone who figured that out was hitting the Sake too hard.

Upvote 0

troppobash

CR Pro
May 29, 2014
I also found the wifi basic like Mt Spokane Photography. I have managed to connect to my iphone but did not pursue other options. With the iphone all basic camera window functions worked for me except Remote Shooting and I can use the iphone GPS when I want to geotag via the camerawindow when I need to.

Why was remote shooting not working??!!! I contacted Canon and after numerous inquiries and persistent questioning they finally specified settings to be able to take photos remotely (what I could not find in the manual). (They even wanted me to send my camera to them as they thought it might be faulty...no way was I going to send my camera ~2000kms away until I had further information from them).

Here is the what they finally responded with:

My question:
How the camera exactly operates when using CameraWindow Option 'Perform Remote Shooting'

Canon Response:
- Functions available on CameraWindow (smartphone/tablet) are:
* Shutter button
* Optical Zoom
* Self-timer
* Flash On/off
- Exposure is equivalent to P mode. Settings are fixed as below. This applied to all compact cameras that are compatible with Remote Shooting.
* Exposure compensation: None
* ISO: Auto
* White Balance: Auto
* Drive Mode: Single
* Metering: Evaluative
* Resolution: Large
* Compression: Fine
* Aspect Ratio: 3:2 for G1X Mark II
* AE/FE Lock: None
* AF Lock: None
* AF Frame size; Normal
* AF is FaceAiAF around the centre
* AF is fixed to Continuous AF

Now the last two items FaceAiAF around the centre and Continuous AF was what caught me out. As I had set as many settings on my G1X MII as similar to my DLSR I had turned these off as I do not want the camera to choose my target or to keep focusing continuously. So once I enabled these two options it worked.

I just wish they had back button focusing... and since they do not I am trying to make do with AFL (Auto Focus Lock) set to the video button.

I am enjoying the touch screen very much in being able to shift the focusing point very quickly and do not need to do centre focusing and then re-compose at all. I do not use the touch shutter at all.

It is a great camera and yes there are lots of talk about its low MP compared to the Sony RX100III - when I bought mine only the RX100II was out. The RX100II was too small for me and though I know that I only used it in the store for 10 minutes - it just was not me. If I need higher MP I use my 5DMII and when travelling and I only have my G1X MII - as one of the fellow canon rumourites states and fine-tuned by me...

"the best camera is the one in your hand...and taking pictures with"

Upvote 0

troppobash

CR Pro
May 29, 2014
Hi Recently i was in Sydney and was able to purchase the EVF for the G1X Mark II. First time I have used an EVF - and it is certainly different to an OVF.

As I photo mainly landscape and portraiture I have not found the lag a problem and it appears to be the same as the LCD panel on the back of the camera.

Here are two shots:

The first is of buildings: Tv=1/2000, F=3.9, ISO 400 and focul length 75mm (ff equivalent)
The is the Sydney City skyline from the Manly ferry: Tv=1/60, F=13, ISO=400, focal length 35 mm (ff equivalent)

Attachments

• IMG_1237 Syd.JPG
    IMG_1237 Syd.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 525
  • IMG_1230 Syd.JPG
    IMG_1230 Syd.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 463
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Here are a few from my G1X MK II

Radio Flyer - Spokane

IMG_0160-XL.jpg

EMP Museum - Seattle

IMG_0344-XL.jpg

Grain Combine pulled by 33 Mules - Walla Walla Museum

untitled-0643-XL.jpg

Upvote 0
Here are a few examples from me. I have been on a world trip for 10 months and shot over 15,000 frames with the G1X Mark II. I love this camera and how functional it is. It is quick and easy to adjust on the fly and produces high quality shots. I have used it in all conditions and have found it very capable. Partner it with a Manfrotto Befree tripod and nothing can stop you :) The shots have been enhanced via Lightroom and one panoramic stitched together but don't let that detract from the capabilities of the camera.

Cheers

Tim

Attachments

• highway one valley.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 407
  • 1-2.jpg
    1-2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 372
  • 1-3.jpg
    1-3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 362
  • 1-4.jpg