APS-C DSLR

Just asking as I noticed that nearly all EF-S glass has been discontinued, is it then likely that Canon will produce any more new as in new models Rebels/ aps-c dslrs. Is it possible that they will but sell them as a kit with EF-S lenses but they discontinued the retail of individual lenses. Another scenario would be body only as there is a huge amount of lenses out there plus third party lenses. I am guessing here but as Canon was the largest producer of aps-c dslrs there is still significant demand even in a shrinking market.

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Not sure if you saw the other thread on this topic: Canon confirms discontinuation of EF and EF-S lenses

There are still 6 EF-S lenses in production, including the popular 1 and 2x kit lenses, so I think the general consensus is that those kits will continue being available for some time yet. There is no indication that Canon will stop individual sales of these lenses, but I guess if they continue to have general issues with stock, they would tend to prioritise the (likely higher margin) kits over individual lenses. This is all likely to continue until there are viable alternatives to APS-C DSLRs, eg in the rumoured upcoming lower-$ R series bodies.

It's quite possible there could be minimally updated versions of the APS-C DSLRs released, to give the impression of a 'refresh' (Marketing does love a relaunch), but highly unlikely these will be anything to look forward to in terms of new features etc. Similar probably applies to the M series bodies and lenses.

Upvote 0
Personally, I seriously doubt we'll ever see another M series camera, especially if they release an APS-C R body. I also doubt we'll se any new DSLRs from Canon or Nikon, with the possible exception of one last apex camera from either/both... Of course, I've been wrong before ;)

Roscoe
I think that Canon may still produce APS-C dslrs but only basic ones, if it wasn’t for the parts shortages we might have had another round of DSLRs as for the M series it’s a bit of enigma as to what Canon is doing with it.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Personally, I seriously doubt we'll ever see another M series camera, especially if they release an APS-C R body. I also doubt we'll se any new DSLRs from Canon or Nikon, with the possible exception of one last apex camera from either/both... Of course, I've been wrong before ;)

Roscoe
The M series sells more cameras than an apsc ever could or would. The consumers that purchase the M series cameras dont give a hoot about the EOS R camera ecosystem and would simply purchase what already exist. Canon knows this and will continue to sell its new M series cameras that are only but a couple of years old.

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
This depresses me.

I was ready to buy the entire system. . . .the M6 to me sounds like this bee's knees. . . .but aside from one or two good primes. .. . the zooms are slow consumer stuff. If they released a few quality F4's . . . .I would be there. Credit card waiting. But . . .when was the last "M" lens released? Dead system. staying away.

(Last Canon product I bought was a G5-II. Really happy with it. . .. . now spending lots' of time on DJI website.)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The M series sells more cameras than an apsc ever could or would. The consumers that purchase the M series cameras dont give a hoot about the EOS R camera ecosystem and would simply purchase what already exist. Canon knows this and will continue to sell its new M series cameras that are only but a couple of years old.

The EOS M system is APS-C.

Upvote 0

I wasn’t saying that I thought they would discontinue the current EOS-M cameras, I was predicting that we wouldn’t see any new models….

Upvote 0