Archival video recording questions

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Hello,

I am a stills guy (and audio), but I am taking on a project to record some upcoming events and interviews with older family members whom I want to preserve to video before they pass. To that end, I got a Ninja V+ to add to my R5, but wanted to see what the general consensus was on the following:

1. I know 8k pro res raw only records at 10-bit color, and 5k pro res raw records at 12-bit, plus has the benefits of being downsampled, and allowing for 60p. Would it be better to record at 8k with the assumption that I will be able to produce better videos as software/technology evolve, or shoot the downsampled 5k, which (I would think?) would allow for better 4k videos with today's technology, if less room for improvement in the future?

2. I need to build a PC to work with all this video; I have a pretty powerful gaming laptop (discrete video + 32 GB system RAM + i9 proc) and I can't even PLAY smooth 4k 30p ALL-I video captured on my R5, let alone edit it. Maybe the pro res format will be better, but what kind of specs should I be looking at to work with this type of video? And should I go Mac or PC, I have both and don't (yet) have a preference for any particular video software.

3. Any other factors I should be considering? I do have ample file storage space on my home NAS.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.