Aurora Aperture introduces a next generation rear mount filter system

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Irvine, California, May 15th, 2020 – Aurora Aperture Inc. today has introduced a next-generation rear mount filter system.
The new next-generation rear mount filter system supports the Canon 11-24mm F4L USM and other select Canon wide-angle lenses, Nikon AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G, Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art EF mount and Sigma 14mm F1.8 DG HSM Art EF mount, Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Art E and L mount, and Sony 12-24mm F4 G.
Now available on Kickstarter
“In 2017 we introduced a rear mount filter system for the Canon EF 11-24mm F4L USM: The Aurora Aperture CR format, an industry-first rear mount glass filter,” said Jeff Chen, founder, and CEO of Aurora Aperture Inc. “The next generation rear mount filter system is a major upgrade from the CR format filter system. It expands supported lenses to several other popular ultra-wide-angle lenses, at the same time adds more filter choices. More importantly, the new...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
May 16, 2014
Hi!

Why not Canon ES 16-35/4? That lens already has a 77mm filter thread and most users already have a set of 77mm filters. So I assume that the market for that lens is simply too small.

Light pollution filter? That will be a Neodymium/Redhancer/Clear night/... filter in this case. They only work against sodium vapour light (which are more and more replaced by LED), they also reduce some other parts of the spectrum without light pollution and they double the exposure time. Removal of light pollution for astro is best done in post processing and the effect of this filter for normal night photography can also be emulated in post processing. Keep your money for something useful!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Considering how sensitive my 11-24 is to rear element dust showing up in images I am not enthusiastic about adding two more surfaces to increase my misery.
The risk of dust on the rear lens was the reason why Hasselblad produced their SWC (super wide) with a fixed Zeiss 38 mm 6 x 6. wide angle lens.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
This is interesting. I wonder how much this degrades the IQ? When the lens manufacturer does this, as Canon does with several long lenses, and their EF to R adapter, they take optics into account, and rarely use glass filters because of the degradation. Unless, that is, they include a clear, coated glass for when there is no filter being used (preferably fron the lens manufacturer) so that it”s part of the calculated optical system.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Not a product for my kit.

I can understand the idea behind it, but when I want to make serious nature photog with WA/UWA lenses my most important filter would be a graduated ND where I can decide the level of the horizon by shifting it in my filter holder. Try to do so with a rear mount filter system :rolleyes:

Luckily they don't offer a CPL for it. That would have made it bonkers :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0