B+W's 'new' filter mounts and packaging

Jul 21, 2010
The topic of 'best CPL filter' recently came up. Personally, I prefer B+W filters for most applications (or their parent company, Schneider-Kreuznach, in some cases such as when they had an 82mm 10-stop ND unavailable in the B+W line).

In addition to CPLs and NDs, I use B+W filters to protect the front element of most of my lenses (not the M22/2, M15-45 or 600/4 II). I recently noticed that that B+W has changed their mount designations/lineup – it was actually 2-3 years ago, but I just noticed recently because although I’ve bought several new RF lenses over the past three years, I’ve had clear filters to transfer from other lenses, with the exception of the 95mm clear filter I bought for the RF 28-70/2, a B+W XS-Pro before the mounts changed.

Three years ago they introduced the T-Pro mount. T could be for either thin or titanium, but the latter just a finish color applied over the usual brass. They’re very slightly thinner and thus lighter than the XS-Pro mounts, but still have front threads (important for putting a lens cap on the filter). Two years ago they introduced the Basic and Master mounts. Those replace and are roughly equivalent to the F-Pro and XS-Pro, respectively. Both add knurling to the outside edge, which is useful.

The previous mounts and thicknesses were:
Slim mount - 3 mm (lack front threads, were dropped in favor of the XS-Pro that has them)​
XS-Pro mount - 3.4 mm​
F-Pro mount - 5 mm​
Slim CPL - 5 mm​
Standard CPL - 7 mm​

The current mount thicknesses are:
T-Pro mount - 2.9 mm​
Master mount - 3.4 mm​
Basic mount - 4.4 mm​
Master CPL - 5.2 mm​
Basic CPL - 8.2 mm​

Note that for the new mounts, the thicknesses vary based on the thickness of the glass. The values above are for 0.75 mm thick filters, used in diameters ranging from 43-82 mm. The 86 mm and 95 mm use 1 mm thick filters and have correspondingly thicker mounts in all types. The 112 mm filter has a 1.5 mm thick piece of glass and the Master mount is 6.1 mm thick (that diameter is only available in Master). Also, they do plan on releasing a T-Pro CPL, but 'coming soon' is wearing a little thin since the line is now 3 years old.

The coatings are unchanged in recent years, although B+W no longer sells uncoated or single-coated filters like they used to for many styles (though the IR and Soft filters don't have the multi-resistant coating, MRC). The options are MRC for the Basic and MRC Nano for the T-Pro and Master, they have the same transmission properties but the Nano coating offers more scratch resistance and easier cleaning.

So which one is best? B+W suggests that T-Pro is better for wide angle lenses and for pretty much every type of camera from DSLR/MILC to bridge and compact cameras. IMO, that's solely because those filters are also the most expensive and likely the most profitable for them (same glass as the Master line, less brass, and the 'T' means titanium colored, not that there's titanium used in the construction). Lens designs over the past couple of decades are very tolerant of filters, often with no increase in optical vignetting until two or even three filters are stacked. Thus, the 0.5 mm shorter T-Pro makes no difference optically even for wide angle lenses. Yes, they're lighter (less brass), but a 77mm XS-Pro/Master filter weighs only 37 g so 'lighter' is a dubious benefit (FWIW, the 112mm Master is the heaviest single filter in the current lineup and it weighs 90 g). They do offer a 5 year warranty on the T-Pro filters, again of dubious benefit since the regular filters are plenty durable.

Personally, I went with the Master mount for the two filters I just bought, 52mm for the RF 24/1.8 and 112mm for the 100-300/2.8 I have on preorder. As above, I don't see that the T-Pro offers any meaningful benefit. The T-Pro filters cost ~35% more than the Master ($63 vs. $47 for 52mm clear, $136 vs. $104 for 82mm clear). Is the titanium color an advantage? B+W says, "The titanium-colored finish gives the T-Pro filters a unique appearance." Reminds me of something Canon said about the el-cheapo 75-300mm III, "The front part of the zoom ring now sports a silver ring for a luxury touch." Pass.

They also changed their packaging recently, in association with their 75th anniversary. In the 'good old days', B+W filters came in a plastic case (enclosed in a thin cardboard box, which has changed over time), with a hard foam insert sized for the filter if it was smaller than the box itself. Going forward, they are in the process of switching over to a leather case for all filters (enclosed in a thicker cardboard box). They mention a gradual rollout for that, to which I can attest. The Master 52mm clear filter I bought came in the same thick cardboard box as the Master 112mm Clear, but the former was in a cloth bag while the latter was in the leather pouch.

Here are the old (plastic case, one with insert, 2 box designs with the older one on the left), intermediate (Master 52mm with cloth bag) and new (Master 112mm with leather pouch) packages:

Filter cases 1.jpg

In the box on the left is an extra 82mm XS-Pro clear filter just waiting for some future RF lens to protect. ;)

I wonder if people will prefer the leather case to the plastic one. For the clear (and UV) filters, IMO the case doesn't really matter because the filter goes on the lens and stays there. For CPL/ND filters that I carry with me, I still don't use the plastic cases. Instead, I use nylon single-filter pouches that enable me to take just one or several filters and tuck them in various places in the camera bag. They changed from B+W branding to Schneider-Kreuznach branding some time back, but they are still available at Adorama (in black now, not blue). To me, the padded nylon pouches feel more protective than the new leather one (although those come pre-labeled with an insert in the window on the back).

Filter cases 2.jpg

Hope this info is useful to anyone who hasn't bought a B+W filter recently.

Reactions: 15 users
Mar 10, 2021
Thanks for posting.
What do you think of new high transmission polarizing films?
While I do not use protective filters and carry only the older regular and slim polarizers (Heliopan SH-PMC CPL and LinPL), I might replace a 77 mm one with a new high transmission filter. Not sure yet if this makes sense though.
I also carry filters in a pouch (ThinkTank). Keep original plastic cases for the occasion when I put the filters for sale.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What do you think of new high transmission polarizing films?
I’ve never used anything else, but I’m quite happy with my CPLs. FWIW, they’re not ‘new’, only the designation is new. Years ago (my 77mm and 82mm ones are over a decade old), they had regular CPLs and Käsemann CPLs. The latter are now sold as High Transmission but it’s the same film.

Looking at B&H or Adorama, they are listed as just High Transmission, but the B+W catalog still uses the Käsemann moniker.

IMG_8921.jpeg

Upvote 0
Minor point to add: The B+W "Master 803 ND Pro 0.9 +3' MRC nano" filter in 52mm fits the 52mm screw-in drop-in filter holder, as it's 54.0(0)mm in outer diameter, and the slot is 54.04mm*.

The outer ring of many/most 52mm filters are bigger than the 54.0mm and will not fit (I tried a Benro filter first, but that's 55.0mm in OD :( )

*) measured with a caliper with 0.02mm precision, but there's likely more measurement error from my side than the actual caliper. Let's not jump down a metrology (rabbit) hole!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Minor point to add: The B+W "Master 803 ND Pro 0.9 +3' MRC nano" filter in 52mm fits the 52mm screw-in drop-in filter holder, as it's 54.0(0)mm in outer diameter, and the slot is 54.04mm*.
I’ll keep that n mind should I ever come across a need to reduce light from my 600/4. Hasn’t happened yet, but maybe I’ll want to shoot a distant waterfall someday…

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’ll keep that n mind should I ever come across a need to reduce light from my 600/4. Hasn’t happened yet, but maybe I’ll want to shoot a distant waterfall someday…
You may not be the prime user of such an ND filter, but others might search around for filters and stumble into this post.

Kudos to @Roo who suggested using an ND3 filter to get the aperture and shutter speed into the range needed for getting motion/panning blur into motorcycle racing images,when shooting under highly sunlit conditions. Works like a charm

The CPOL filter takes about 1,5 stop of light, btw.

Upvote 0
An alternative is to use a gel filter, since the lenses come with a gel holder in the slot.
Yes, but (A) good luck in finding ND3 gels (there might be some on your side of the pond), and (B) gels are less uniform giving a cast and affects the sharpness more, so using gel ND filters usually not done or not recommended. See Dan Carr's shuttermuse website for example.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My 200-400 came with the gel holder but I understand that Canon switched to providing screw-in holders from the MkIII versions. My 400 2.8 and my friends RF 400 and 600 came with screw-ins.
Thanks, I wasn’t aware. I have the MkII 600/4, and of course the RF 100-300/2.8 does not have a slot.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
The topic of 'best CPL filter' recently came up. Personally, I prefer B+W filters for most applications (or their parent company, Schneider-Kreuznach, in some cases such as when they had an 82mm 10-stop ND unavailable in the B+W line).

In addition to CPLs and NDs, I use B+W filters to protect the front element of most of my lenses (not the M22/2, M15-45 or 600/4 II). I recently noticed that that B+W has changed their mount designations/lineup – it was actually 2-3 years ago, but I just noticed recently because although I’ve bought several new RF lenses over the past three years, I’ve had clear filters to transfer from other lenses, with the exception of the 95mm clear filter I bought for the RF 28-70/2, a B+W XS-Pro before the mounts changed.

Three years ago they introduced the T-Pro mount. T could be for either thin or titanium, but the latter just a finish color applied over the usual brass. They’re very slightly thinner and thus lighter than the XS-Pro mounts, but still have front threads (important for putting a lens cap on the filter). Two years ago they introduced the Basic and Master mounts. Those replace and are roughly equivalent to the F-Pro and XS-Pro, respectively. Both add knurling to the outside edge, which is useful.

The previous mounts and thicknesses were:
Slim mount - 3 mm (lack front threads, were dropped in favor of the XS-Pro that has them)​
XS-Pro mount - 3.4 mm​
F-Pro mount - 5 mm​
Slim CPL - 5 mm​
Standard CPL - 7 mm​

The current mount thicknesses are:
T-Pro mount - 2.9 mm​
Master mount - 3.4 mm​
Basic mount - 4.4 mm​
Master CPL - 5.2 mm​
Basic CPL - 8.2 mm​

Note that for the new mounts, the thicknesses vary based on the thickness of the glass. The values above are for 0.75 mm thick filters, used in diameters ranging from 43-82 mm. The 86 mm and 95 mm use 1 mm thick filters and have correspondingly thicker mounts in all types. The 112 mm filter has a 1.5 mm thick piece of glass and the Master mount is 6.1 mm thick (that diameter is only available in Master). Also, they do plan on releasing a T-Pro CPL, but 'coming soon' is wearing a little thin since the line is now 3 years old.

The coatings are unchanged in recent years, although B+W no longer sells uncoated or single-coated filters like they used to for many styles (though the IR and Soft filters don't have the multi-resistant coating, MRC). The options are MRC for the Basic and MRC Nano for the T-Pro and Master, they have the same transmission properties but the Nano coating offers more scratch resistance and easier cleaning.

So which one is best? B+W suggests that T-Pro is better for wide angle lenses and for pretty much every type of camera from DSLR/MILC to bridge and compact cameras. IMO, that's solely because those filters are also the most expensive and likely the most profitable for them (same glass as the Master line, less brass, and the 'T' means titanium colored, not that there's titanium used in the construction). Lens designs over the past couple of decades are very tolerant of filters, often with no increase in optical vignetting until two or even three filters are stacked. Thus, the 0.5 mm shorter T-Pro makes no difference optically even for wide angle lenses. Yes, they're lighter (less brass), but a 77mm XS-Pro/Master filter weighs only 37 g so 'lighter' is a dubious benefit (FWIW, the 112mm Master is the heaviest single filter in the current lineup and it weighs 90 g). They do offer a 5 year warranty on the T-Pro filters, again of dubious benefit since the regular filters are plenty durable.

Personally, I went with the Master mount for the two filters I just bought, 52mm for the RF 24/1.8 and 112mm for the 100-300/2.8 I have on preorder. As above, I don't see that the T-Pro offers any meaningful benefit. The T-Pro filters cost ~35% more than the Master ($63 vs. $47 for 52mm clear, $136 vs. $104 for 82mm clear). Is the titanium color an advantage? B+W says, "The titanium-colored finish gives the T-Pro filters a unique appearance." Reminds me of something Canon said about the el-cheapo 75-300mm III, "The front part of the zoom ring now sports a silver ring for a luxury touch." Pass.

They also changed their packaging recently, in association with their 75th anniversary. In the 'good old days', B+W filters came in a plastic case (enclosed in a thin cardboard box, which has changed over time), with a hard foam insert sized for the filter if it was smaller than the box itself. Going forward, they are in the process of switching over to a leather case for all filters (enclosed in a thicker cardboard box). They mention a gradual rollout for that, to which I can attest. The Master 52mm clear filter I bought came in the same thick cardboard box as the Master 112mm Clear, but the former was in a cloth bag while the latter was in the leather pouch.

Here are the old (plastic case, one with insert, 2 box designs with the older one on the left), intermediate (Master 52mm with cloth bag) and new (Master 112mm with leather pouch) packages:

View attachment 208840

In the box on the left is an extra 82mm XS-Pro clear filter just waiting for some future RF lens to protect. ;)

I wonder if people will prefer the leather case to the plastic one. For the clear (and UV) filters, IMO the case doesn't really matter because the filter goes on the lens and stays there. For CPL/ND filters that I carry with me, I still don't use the plastic cases. Instead, I use nylon single-filter pouches that enable me to take just one or several filters and tuck them in various places in the camera bag. They changed from B+W branding to Schneider-Kreuznach branding some time back, but they are still available at Adorama (in black now, not blue). To me, the padded nylon pouches feel more protective than the new leather one (although those come pre-labeled with an insert in the window on the back).

View attachment 208841

Hope this info is useful to anyone who hasn't bought a B+W filter recently.
I’ve used B+W for years. Love their filters. I do NOT like what they have done for packaging. For what it’s worth, you can purchase the plastic snap boxes with foam from B&H. There are a couple of B+W models but Sensei also have them. I have purchased them for newer filters as well as replacement.

For newer manufacturers, check out Breakthrough Photography filters. I switched to their GND and ND FILTERS a few years ago. I’ve recently tried a couple of CPL and the quality, as well as neutral color is on par or better than B+W.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
For newer manufacturers, check out Breakthrough Photography filters. I switched to their GND and ND FILTERS a few years ago. I’ve recently tried a couple of CPL and the quality, as well as neutral color is on par or better than B+W.
Pass. Their founder came on here a few years ago, was rude and a liar (of the pants on fire variety). Even if they’ve finally moved beyond their inability to supply products in a timely manner (people were waiting 1-2 years early on, and being strung along), they won’t get my business.

Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Pass. Their founder came on here a few years ago, was rude and a liar (of the pants on fire variety). Even if they’ve finally moved beyond their inability to supply products in a timely manner (people were waiting 1-2 years early on, and being strung along), they won’t get my business.
Oh wow. I remember the first series of GND filters were hard to get but beyond that I didn’t have issues. I got an email from the guy at one point. Name was Grant or something similar that started with a G…been a while.

I’m at a point where I rarely need to purchase a filter anymore anyway. I’ve collected most sizes I would run into over the years.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’m at a point where I rarely need to purchase a filter anymore anyway. I’ve collected most sizes I would run into over the years.
Same here. My most-used filters are CPL and 10-stop ND, which I have in 77mm and 82mm. I also have 6- and 3-stop NDs in 77mm (I like that the RF 14-35, 24-105 and 100-500 all take that size, it’s a great travel setup).

If needed, I have step-up rings (not ideal since they often preclude using a hood). That might be my solution if I travel with the RF 100-400 instead of the 100-500, since the former takes 67mm filters and I only rarely need to filter a long zoom.

The only screw-in filters I’ve bought in the past ~10 years have been clear ones for lens protection. I’ve needed some small ones (52mm and 55mm) for EF-M lenses, and more recently a 58mm for the Vixia HF G60 camcorder. Also a couple of big ones for RF lenses, 95mm for the 28-70/2 and 112mm for the 100-300/2.8.

There’s only one filter I no longer have a need for, a 72mm 3-stop ND. I used mainly for daytime outdoor portraits with the EF 85/1.2L II, because 1/8000 s wasn’t fast enough to allow wide open shooting. The RF fast primes all use bigger filters, but they’re not even needed with the R3 since that has a 3-stop faster shutter (1/64000). Not that I have any of the fast RF L primes anyway…

Upvote 0
Also a couple of big ones for RF lenses, 95mm for the 28-70/2 and 112mm for the 100-300/2.8.

I'm looking for a protective filter for my RF 100-300 f/2.8, and I'm seeing some pretty different prices.

Clear Filters
Ice 112mm Slim Clear Protection Filter (Uncoated)$36.95
Haida NanoPro MC Clear Filter (112mm)$100.00
B+W MRC MASTER 007 Clear Filter (112mm)$252.00
Nikon Neutral Clear Filter (112mm)$419.95

UV Filters
Kase 112mm KW Revolution R-MCUV Multicoated UV Filter$199.00
B+W UV-Haze #010 MRC MASTER Filter (112mm)$283.00
Hoya 112mm EVO Antistatic UV Filter$349.90

I understand that different coatings make a difference for ND, CPL, and even UV filters. I have UV and CPL filters for both 77mm and 95mm, as well as a 82mm clear filter. All are from B+W's XS-Pro or Master line.

But for clear filters, what do the higher prices justify (aside from thickness)?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm looking for a protective filter for my RF 100-300 f/2.8, and I'm seeing some pretty different prices.

Clear Filters
Ice 112mm Slim Clear Protection Filter (Uncoated)$36.95
Haida NanoPro MC Clear Filter (112mm)$100.00
B+W MRC MASTER 007 Clear Filter (112mm)$252.00
Nikon Neutral Clear Filter (112mm)$419.95

UV Filters
Kase 112mm KW Revolution R-MCUV Multicoated UV Filter$199.00
B+W UV-Haze #010 MRC MASTER Filter (112mm)$283.00
Hoya 112mm EVO Antistatic UV Filter$349.90

I understand that different coatings make a difference for ND, CPL, and even UV filters. I have UV and CPL filters for both 77mm and 95mm, as well as a 82mm clear filter. All are from B+W's XS-Pro or Master line.

But for clear filters, what do the higher prices justify (aside from thickness)?
Probably a combination of the thickness and the fact that they don't sell many filters of that size. I use the B+W Master 007 Clear 112mm on my 100-300/2.8.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Clear filters have coatings to avoid reflections, flare and ghosting, too.
It's not just a piece of plain clear glass.
Thickness, transmission and everything else - in combination with the coatings - define the price.
Plus brand name pricing, e.g. for the B+W.
But there is a reason why these brands have made a name of themselves, too.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Going forward, they are in the process of switching over to a leather case for all filters (enclosed in a thicker cardboard box). They mention a gradual rollout for that, to which I can attest. The Master 52mm clear filter I bought came in the same thick cardboard box as the Master 112mm Clear, but the former was in a cloth bag while the latter was in the leather pouch.
The gradual rollout continued, perhaps it's now complete? The Master 52mm clear filter I bought for my RF 24/1.8 in April 2023 came in the cloth bag, the pair of Master 52mm clear filters I bought for my 10x42L binoculars in July 2023 came in the leather pouches.

Upvote 0