Backuping strategy

What backup strategy do you use?

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I always use camera with two card slot options and write data to cards simultaneously

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • I keep photos on card(s) after importing

Votes: 27 41.5%
  • I backup my catalogue

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • I use 2 or more hard drives to backup my photos

Votes: 56 86.2%
  • I use cloud storage for all my photos

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I use cloud storage for my pick photos

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • I have dedicated server (NAS) for storing my photos

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • I backup my photos on the go while travelling

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • I backup my photos after I return home

Votes: 40 61.5%
  • I use off site backup

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters

cid

"light is defining shape"
Nov 27, 2012
500px.com
East Wind Photography said:
...One stays local, one is offsite. ....

I have noticed that many people do store photos offsite, but not on cloud services. Where do you keep your offsite backups? Is combination home+office fine, or do you prefer to have some services where you can keep your stuff?

Upvote 0

CSD

Photographer, WP Developer, and IT Geek.
Sep 3, 2015
Scotland
cid said:
I have noticed that many people do store photos offsite, but not on cloud services. Where do you keep your offsite backups? Is combination home+office fine, or do you prefer to have some services where you can keep your stuff?

Since the data is encrypted on the drive and I don't have an office I leave it at a friends house in a lock box, alternatively you could leave it at a relations house or a safe deposit box. Essentially anywhere you know it's safe, relatively secure and you can access in an emergency.

Upvote 0
cid said:
East Wind Photography said:
...One stays local, one is offsite. ....

Home or office is fine as long as they are not together for too long. Risk is theft or fire. Certainly its harder to keep them in sync that way.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Any backup strategy needs to be created to deal with (identified) risks.

When traveling I keep the images on my cards until i get home.
I also download on my computer and occasionally an external HDD (depending upon the length of the trip). On extended trips I use multiple HDD and keep them separate.

I am protecting against loss, hardware failure, and my own stupidity when I accidentally format a card in the field.

At home I have multiple copies of all images, and a copy in the vault (though any off site would work). Protecting against hardware failure and accidentally deleted images by multiple backups and the offsite copy protects me in case we lose the house (fire).

As a last resort I have a copy in the cloud (mostly because I got a good deal).

As a final note, I look at my backup strategy and feel good about it. I can sleep at night, I don't worry about my images. Yes it takes me a bit of time but not much extra to manage this. In the unfortunate event I loose all copies of my images, I know I have done everything reasonable to protect to them. Could I do more? YES, there is always more but at some point the added safety of another layer of backups is simply not worth it (to me).

Upvote 0