Bad DxO experience

Mar 28, 2013
I've been a long-time user of Nik plug-ins (and Topaz, and Imagenomic), and I finally built a new PC and installed Windows 10... which meant upgrading to PS CC, which meant having to buy/install the new Nik plug-ins by DxO.

Given that I had paid hundreds of bucks for the Nik plug-ins before Google bought them and made the collection free, I was OK paying for these amazing plug-ins again. I think the last one I paid for was Silver Efex 2.

So I paid $150 for Collection 2 at the end of April.

Then recently DxO releases Collection 3. The upgrade price is $50, and a fresh/new install costs $100. The cut-off date for getting the upgrade free was 10 days after I made my purchase. I contacted DxO, saying basically, "hey, I'm a long-time user of this great product but a brand-new DxO customer; can you accommodate me for making a purchase 2 weeks too early?" I figured they'd happily help me out--the way Imagenomic and HDRSoft had in the past. Hell, Topaz even gave me a free key to an obsolete plug-in that wouldn't run on 64-bit Photoshop.

But DxO flat refused. They told me the marketing department determined the date for the free upgrade and customer service could do nothing about it. I tried reason; I asked nicely; I pointed out that I'm an enthusiastic user of the product and would certainly give them positive reviews on sites like this one--and they wouldn't be "losing" money on the upgrade, given that I had already paid more than what the current price was.

Nope. The marketing department set the date, and that's that.

Now, before you jump in with the "caveat emptor" stuff and defending the company's right to make their policies--I totally get all that. But this is my recourse. Letting other people know my experience. I'm not suggesting people do anything one way or the other--indeed, I really like the software, enough to have paid for it in multiple iterations. But this experience doesn't inspire confidence in DxO as a company. If they're willing to tell a customer "screw you; we have our policy and you missed the date by 10 days, so pay us more money" and risk that customer never buying from them again--and telling other people about the experience, potentially losing sales--then what else will they do?

That's my experience. My first purchase and interaction with DxO, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 28, 2013
You missed the deadline by 10 days, and that's that. It happens to most of us a lot of the time for a variety of products, and we grin and bear it. That's life,
Yes, and when a company comes out with a new version without letting potential buyers know, and then prices the new version at 2/3 of the old version, that's when I would expect a company to do right by their customers. I don't have to grin at all--hence, this post.

DxO's response was that they weren't making any exceptions to the upgrade timeline. So had I pulled the trigger the day before the upgrade deadline, they'd still tell me to pound sand. Again, that's not good customer service. Especially when other companies have been very gracious. Nik gave me a discount on the Viveza 2 upgrade when I had bought the original Viveza a short time before; HDRSoft gave me a discount on a Photomatix upgrade when I skipped a version. This is what a company does when it wants to cultivate customers, rather than just take their money. DxO acquired the Nik collection after Nik did a lot of hard work making it good, and Google's acquisition increased the userbase tremendously. DxO has done nothing to make me want to send any more money their way.

Economics isn't just about an exchange of money for a good or service; it's about establishing and maintaining a relationship. I can exercise power by withholding giving the company any more of my money, and by letting other people know of my experience. It's not a lot of power, but it's what I can do.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2012
What about the person that bought 11 days too soon or the their friend that bought 12 days too early. Where should a company draw the line? Should they just give the bonus to you because you're special? Because you called in? Would that be fair to those that accept the rules and don't call in? Be thankful you didn't buy the day before the cut-off.

It's happened to everyone at sometime in some form. My grand-niece was born a day after the cutoff to get into school. School wouldn't budge and she will forever be the oldest kid in her class.

You called and gave it a try, good for you. They said no, policy is policy, nothing wrong with that. Time to move on.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What about the person that bought 11 days too soon or the their friend that bought 12 days too early. Where should a company draw the line? Should they just give the bonus to you because you're special? Because you called in? Would that be fair to those that accept the rules and don't call in? Be thankful you didn't buy the day before the cut-off.

It's happened to everyone at sometime in some form. My grand-niece was born a day after the cutoff to get into school. School wouldn't budge and she will forever be the oldest kid in her class.

You called and gave it a try, good for you. They said no, policy is policy, nothing wrong with that. Time to move on.
I know it's off the point, but being the oldest in the class is a real advantage because the physical and mental development advantages help in sports, learning and social skills. Here's the first google that comes up on it. https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-kids-in-class-do-better-even-through-college Your grandniece lucked out!

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
You are not missing much with version 3 of the collection. More of a rip-off really. It's really the same software as version 2 except for the perspective program (which is nothing special and a niche program) and a new slightly annoying Nik control panel - if that is the word for it. Nothing as far as I can see was done to the other software from version 2. Still slow to process, same functionality. A waste of money to upgrade in my personal opinion. A bit disappointed with DXO in that regard.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Off topic I know, but in the spirit of the thread title, and seeing we're having a pop at DxO.....one of my favourite lenses is the Tamron 45. It produces beautiful bright images with a clarity not always found. So I was surprised that Dxo rates it's transmission as only 2.3 T stop when it's a f/1.8 lens. Now that's not uncommon, but they rate the Canon EF 35/2 IS lens at 2 T stop.

Anyway I thought this would be easily to compare, using the same camera body and identical exposure to see how much darker the Tamron was against the Canon, at various apertures and at various different light levels.

In every case, if there was any difference at all, the Tamron generated images were slightly brighter both in viewing and the histogram. I know that DxO come in for a lot of criticism for their lens 'scores', but in this case it looks like even one of the metrics is wrong.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Off topic I know, but in the spirit of the thread title, and seeing we're having a pop at DxO.....one of my favourite lenses is the Tamron 45. It produces beautiful bright images with a clarity not always found. So I was surprised that Dxo rates it's transmission as only 2.3 T stop when it's a f/1.8 lens. Now that's not uncommon, but they rate the Canon EF 35/2 IS lens at 2 T stop.

Anyway I thought this would be easily to compare, using the same camera body and identical exposure to see how much darker the Tamron was against the Canon, at various apertures and at various different light levels.

In every case, if there was any difference at all, the Tamron generated images were slightly brighter both in viewing and the histogram. I know that DxO come in for a lot of criticism for their lens 'scores', but in this case it looks like even one of the metrics is wrong.
DxOmark.com which does hardware measurements on sensors and lenses is a different company from DxO.com which produces the PL software.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I've been a long-time user of Nik plug-ins (and Topaz, and Imagenomic), and I finally built a new PC and installed Windows 10... which meant upgrading to PS CC, which meant having to buy/install the new Nik plug-ins by DxO.

Given that I had paid hundreds of bucks for the Nik plug-ins before Google bought them and made the collection free, I was OK paying for these amazing plug-ins again. I think the last one I paid for was Silver Efex 2.

So I paid $150 for Collection 2 at the end of April.

Then recently DxO releases Collection 3. The upgrade price is $50, and a fresh/new install costs $100. The cut-off date for getting the upgrade free was 10 days after I made my purchase. I contacted DxO, saying basically, "hey, I'm a long-time user of this great product but a brand-new DxO customer; can you accommodate me for making a purchase 2 weeks too early?" I figured they'd happily help me out--the way Imagenomic and HDRSoft had in the past. Hell, Topaz even gave me a free key to an obsolete plug-in that wouldn't run on 64-bit Photoshop.

But DxO flat refused. They told me the marketing department determined the date for the free upgrade and customer service could do nothing about it. I tried reason; I asked nicely; I pointed out that I'm an enthusiastic user of the product and would certainly give them positive reviews on sites like this one--and they wouldn't be "losing" money on the upgrade, given that I had already paid more than what the current price was.

Nope. The marketing department set the date, and that's that.

Now, before you jump in with the "caveat emptor" stuff and defending the company's right to make their policies--I totally get all that. But this is my recourse. Letting other people know my experience. I'm not suggesting people do anything one way or the other--indeed, I really like the software, enough to have paid for it in multiple iterations. But this experience doesn't inspire confidence in DxO as a company. If they're willing to tell a customer "screw you; we have our policy and you missed the date by 10 days, so pay us more money" and risk that customer never buying from them again--and telling other people about the experience, potentially losing sales--then what else will they do?

That's my experience. My first purchase and interaction with DxO, and it left a bad taste in my mouth.
10 days more time, and someone else would have written that they were caught 10 days out...

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Alan.
They are now, they were the same company a couple of years (or so) ago, I remember all the hand wringing about the separation! ‍

Cheers, Graham.

DxOmark.com which does hardware measurements on sensors and lenses is a different company from DxO.com which produces the PL software.

Upvote 0