Bag Recommendation

gbchriste

EOS RP
Jan 19, 2012
If the stars align I will soon be acquiring a second 5D III. As an outdoor portrait shooter I normally work with the 5D III/70-200 2.8L II combination, which I carry to the field with lens attached in a LowePro Pro Runner 200 AW, along with a detached 24-70 2.8L II for when I want to go for an occasional wide angle shot.

http://store.lowepro.com/pro-runner-200-aw

But recently I've been doing more landscape stuff with the 24-70, and incorporating more wide angle work in my portrait sessions, and really feeling the pain of doing lens swaps out in the field. I also recently got my first occurrence of an Err 80 during a session. A battery swap cleared it but my change in shooting approach coupled with the possibility of a pending gear malfunction got me thinking about acquiring a second body.

B&H has a great 5DIII/PIXMA PRO-100 rebate deal going on right now so thought this might be a great opportunity to add a second body to my kit and just keep the 24-70 and 70-200 each permanently mounted for ease of changeup during the session, plus have a hot spare should the need arise.

Canon 5DIII, PIXMA PRO-100 printer, 32GB card, battery (3rd party), small shoulder bag - $3099 but with a $550 rebate, so $2549 after rebate. Fold in the retail value of the printer, card and battery and that's close to $2000 for the body.

I really need a good recommendation for a bag that can hold 2 5D III's each with a lens attached (24-70 and 70-200, respectively), with the goal to be able to switch from one to the other without having to go through any kind of lens detach/attach process.

I prefer a backpack style.

Any help is appreciated.

gbchriste

EOS RP
Jan 19, 2012
DJP said:
Have a look at the lowepro tactic 450aw, quite a large bag but I should think it suits your need. As long as you take other lenses out too or flashes etc

I did take a peek at that one. Almost seems too big. I do own a 28-135 and 50mm but never use them, and generally don't take my speed lights out to the field. So probably over kill

Thanks.

Vivid Color

EOS RP
CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I suggest you take a look at the Gura Gear 26L or 32L Bataflae. You can put a body plus attached lens on each side.

Jul 12, 2011
look at the think tank line - they make incredibly durable products in all sizes. I like a naneu pro backpack that
will hold your two rigs and then some at a competitive price point, but the best solution I have is the Billingham
445 with backpack straps. Don't use it much as a backpack, but it's a first rate solution.

Danzq

EOS M50
Jan 12, 2015
gbchriste said:
DJP said:
Have a look at the lowepro tactic 450aw, quite a large bag but I should think it suits your need. As long as you take other lenses out too or flashes etc

I did take a peek at that one. Almost seems too big. I do own a 28-135 and 50mm but never use them, and generally don't take my speed lights out to the field. So probably over kill

Thanks.

I love my LowePro Protactic 350aw. It feels very protective and has lots of cool features. I dont think the 450aw is too big but 350 was a better choise for me cause I only carry one body and max 3 lenses.

-Dan

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Danzq said:
gbchriste said:
DJP said:

Thanks.

I love my LowePro Protactic 350aw. It feels very protective and has lots of cool features. I dont think the 450aw is too big but 350 was a better choise for me cause I only carry one body and max 3 lenses.

-Dan
+1 for the LowePro Protactic 350 AW

Jun 1, 2015
Hi! I bought a camera bag that fitted all my gear but never enjoyed using it - too big and camera-bag-looking ;) so I pulled the padded insert out and now use it in other non-camera bags. Works perfectly and I can change the look of my bag each day if I like.

slclick

Unsolicited & Always Free
Dec 17, 2013
I have really grown into liking my 350 Pro tactic. It's heavy but that weight is protection. I shoot a lot of macro and 'in the field' and appreciate the quality and level of protection it offers.

GmwDarkroom

EOS 90D
Jun 12, 2013
Protactic 350 (and 450) are really nice bags. The 450, due to the slightly conical shape of the bags, is kind of top heavy even on a larger frame person.

One thing of note is that if you use a battery grip or 1D body, they will not fit well in the top opening. I sent back the 350 because I couldn't even fit my gripped 60D in the top and still get it out without a serious fight. The 450 was better, but I ultimately decided on the Think Tank Streetwalker Hard Drive and will get another smaller bag for shorter trips/around town.

bereninga

EOS RP
Apr 16, 2013
I'd go w/ the Protactic 450 w/ your set up. 350, which is the one I use, is fine for smaller gear. It does/has everything you'd ever want in a bag. The only downside IMO is the weight vs other bags.

CapturingLight

EOS M6 Mark II
Mar 12, 2015
I am looking for some advice about the pro tactic bags that a few seem to have used. I have sadly outgrown my lowpro slingshot 102 AW which I have been quite fond of.
http://store.lowepro.com/slingshot-102-aw
I am aware there is a bigger slingshot model but if I go bigger I want a proper backpack.

I really like the look of the pro tactic series with both the back and side access. I am torn between the two sizes. On one hand I suspect that the smaller one will accommodate my current gear and leave room for a few years of growth. But I also like the idea of some extra room that could be used for non camera stuff when out and about or out day hiking. I really need a bag that can hold everything for storage as well as when I want to bring it all along. I have this idea that I will try to keep using the sling shot for some outings and try to select an appropriate arsenal. I have reservations about this as I like having everything with me. I also have 3 elementary age kids and often just grabbing the camera bag is all I have time for. How successful have others been with this strategy? If I admit that is ******* to fail I might be better off with the smaller one as it will have less weight and bulk.
Given my lower $ value of equipment so far these bags seem on the pricy side but they do seem really well designed. I have been tempted by the cheaper lowpro flipside bags.
Here is my current gear:
T4i, EF 50mm 1.8, EFS 18-135mm stm, EFS 10-22mm usm, 430exII flash, manfrotto 55prob tripod(likely too big for most bags)
And finally my newest toy that no longer fits my bag EF 100mm L macro.
I really value the expertise in this form and would appreciate any thoughts.

Coz

7DmkII
Nov 25, 2014
F-Stop Kenti. One set of body & lens on each side and you can access by just slipping off one shoulder strap. Also holds a 13” laptop and hydration bladder.