Bag Recommendations

All, thanks, I went for the 400AW in the end. From the video I saw it will fit easily on my back and just offers a bit more space and flexibility than the 300. I also one day may have saved up enough pennies to get the 70-200 2.8 too so it would be nice to include that too. I like the idea of a backpack for when carrying it all around between shooting rather than a shoulder bag - just personal choice.

And when my daughter wants to come out with me I can carry the second body.

Really appreciate all the hints and tips though. an excellent facet of this forum!

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Luds34 said:
I realize you are looking for something to carry more of a complete kit. However, I am going to recommend a case I use for when I just need to run out the door with one of my longer lenses.

Nice case! For that purpose, I use Lowepro Toploader Pro cases (I have all three sizes) which accomodate a gripped body and attached lens, and allow attachment of another lens/flash case to the outside. Sometimes I use the longest case (75AW) with an attached standard zoom and another standard lens (e.g. 85L) tucked in the bottom with a divider between.

Thanks, it's a very decent quality case construction wise, however it is light on extra storage, pouches, etc. Again, perfect for the purpose I bought it.

I'm actually eyeing the Lowepro Toploader Pro and the Think Tank Holster cases right now. I want something a little smaller for running out with just the camera + one smaller lens, like either the 100mm f/2.8L or the 135mm f/2L, especially with the lens hoods in place.

neuro, if you don't mind, how would a camera + 135mm + lens hood fit in your 75Aw? A little tight? Some extra space? Just right? Probably normal for around here, but I can get a tiny bit obsessive about having the right case for every type of outing. ;)

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
JPAZ said:
FWIW:

Shoulder bags: I have a TT Retrospective 7 (the most comfortable shoulder bag I have ever used) and can put the 5Diii with a mounted 24-70 or 24-105 and a 17-40 or 16-35 f/4 and a third lens like a 70-200 f/4 IS in it. If I want to carry a bigger load on my shoulder, I also have a TT Citywalker. Can hold even more if your shoulder can handle it. I'd recommend both or either of these.

I too own the Retrospective 7 and it is a great bag. Shoulder/messenger style is typically the bag route I go, especially when I want to pack 2 or 3 primes. Sometimes I use one of the of lens slots to hold a little mirrorless like the M + 22 pancake. My only complaint with the Retrospective is that the very sturdy and decently wide footprint makes the bag feel bulky at times. I picked up a Timbuk2 Messenger bag (small) which I like for it's slimmer feel against the body. Of course it lacks all the wonderful compartments of the Think Tank and the retro canvas look/feel. So the Timbuk2 gets used on short day trips where the Retrospective is better for multi-day trips. It makes a great personal item carry on!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Luds34 said:
JPAZ said:
FWIW:

Shoulder bags: I have a TT Retrospective 7 (the most comfortable shoulder bag I have ever used) and can put the 5Diii with a mounted 24-70 or 24-105 and a 17-40 or 16-35 f/4 and a third lens like a 70-200 f/4 IS in it. If I want to carry a bigger load on my shoulder, I also have a TT Citywalker. Can hold even more if your shoulder can handle it. I'd recommend both or either of these.

I have a Mountainsmith Kit Cube padded insert that fits the small Timbuk2 messenger perfectly. turning it into a camera bag.

I too own the Retrospective 7 and it is a great bag. Shoulder/messenger style is typically the bag route I go, especially when I want to pack 2 or 3 primes. Sometimes I use one of the of lens slots to hold a little mirrorless like the M + 22 pancake. My only complaint with the Retrospective is that the very sturdy and decently wide footprint makes the bag feel bulky at times. I picked up a Timbuk2 Messenger bag (small) which I like for it's slimmer feel against the body. Of course it lacks all the wonderful compartments of the Think Tank and the retro canvas look/feel. So the Timbuk2 gets used on short day trips where the Retrospective is better for multi-day trips. It makes a great personal item carry on!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Luds34 said:
I'm actually eyeing the Lowepro Toploader Pro and the Think Tank Holster cases right now. I want something a little smaller for running out with just the camera + one smaller lens, like either the 100mm f/2.8L or the 135mm f/2L, especially with the lens hoods in place.

neuro, if you don't mind, how would a camera + 135mm + lens hood fit in your 75Aw? A little tight? Some extra space? Just right? Probably normal for around here, but I can get a tiny bit obsessive about having the right case for every type of outing. ;)

Either of those lenses with the hood reversed fits in the Toploader Pro 65AW, although the 100L Macro is a tight fit (with my 1D X and 135L the camera back sits right at the brim, with the 100L it's about 1 cm above the brim but the lid can still be zipped closed without difficulty). Either lens with the hood in shooting position fits perfectly in the Toploader Pro 75AW (with my 1D X and 135L the camera back sits about 1 cm below the brim, with the 100L it's right at the brim).

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Luds34 said:

Either of those lenses with the hood reversed fits in the Toploader Pro 65AW, although the 100L Macro is a tight fit (with my 1D X and 135L the camera back sits right at the brim, with the 100L it's about 1 cm above the brim but the lid can still be zipped closed without difficulty). Either lens with the hood in shooting position fits perfectly in the Toploader Pro 75AW (with my 1D X and 135L the camera back sits about 1 cm below the brim, with the 100L it's right at the brim).

Excellent, thank you. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I was worried the 75AW might be a bit too big but it sounds like it is a near perfect fit for either of those lenses (those are some good size lens hoods after all).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I gave my 2 cents to Maury over at Lowepro about a request for a Flipside style bag with ProTactic features such as strength, webbing/accessory mounts vents and padding (not too mention the mil style) and he directed me to the 400AW. Perhaps I should have written a ProTactic bag in a Flipside style because the 400 is not what I'm looking for, I don't want what they already make, I made a suggestion for a new model Maury!

If it's one thing I've learned at CR, it's photographers come here and tell manufacturers how they should make things just for our personal preferences, right?

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
... I picked up a Timbuk2 Messenger bag (small) which I like for it's slimmer feel against the body. Of course it lacks all the wonderful compartments of the Think Tank and the retro canvas look/feel. So the Timbuk2 gets used on short day trips where the Retrospective is better for multi-day trips. It makes a great personal item carry on!
I too am a great fan of the Timbuk2 Messenger bags. I have xsmall, small and medium sizes. You indicated Timbuk2 didn't have compartments - are you using their regular messenger bag and not the Snoop camera inserts? I tend to move the Velcro partitions from one bag manufacturer to another to get just the right combinations. Timbuk2 is unique because their partitions are light blue versus the light grey of LowePro, Mountainsmith, etc. Too much gear, too many bags, too little time to just shoot!

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
old-pr-pix said:
Luds34 said:
... I picked up a Timbuk2 Messenger bag (small) which I like for it's slimmer feel against the body. Of course it lacks all the wonderful compartments of the Think Tank and the retro canvas look/feel. So the Timbuk2 gets used on short day trips where the Retrospective is better for multi-day trips. It makes a great personal item carry on!
I too am a great fan of the Timbuk2 Messenger bags. I have xsmall, small and medium sizes. You indicated Timbuk2 didn't have compartments - are you using their regular messenger bag and not the Snoop camera inserts? I tend to move the Velcro partitions from one bag manufacturer to another to get just the right combinations. Timbuk2 is unique because their partitions are light blue versus the light grey of LowePro, Mountainsmith, etc. Too much gear, too many bags, too little time to just shoot!

I have a Snoop bag and the fabric/velcro combo just isn't as grippy and long lasting as others such as Pelican, Lowepro and Incase just to name a few. The dividers on the Snoop do not stay put nor hold strong enough when you angle the bag with gear. I like the bag, just not the padded parts.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
old-pr-pix said:
Luds34 said:

My mistake, I forget you can get it without the camera "Snoop" insert. Yes, I bought it with the interestingly colored sort of powder blue insert and it works very well for my 6D and up to 3 lenses, ideally primes or smaller zooms like the 17-40, etc. What I poorly articulated was referring to little compartments for things such as filters, spare batteries, etc. and realistically, in comparison to the TT Retrospective bag, which is heavily loaded with such things.

But yes, I really enjoy the bag (zero buyer's remorse) and regularly reach for it running out the door with the camera and more then one lens.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
slclick said:
old-pr-pix said:
Luds34 said:

I have a Snoop bag and the fabric/velcro combo just isn't as grippy and long lasting as others such as Pelican, Lowepro and Incase just to name a few. The dividers on the Snoop do not stay put nor hold strong enough when you angle the bag with gear. I like the bag, just not the padded parts.

I have no complaints on the fabric/velcro. However I agree on the dividers, they are a bit weak and trying to support the camera (face down) does allow the camera grip to sometimes bump into the lens to it's right more then I'd like. But for me, it came with the territory on what this bag represented, being more malleable, thinner, etc.

A buddy introduced me to Domke. I picked up the F-5XB to carry my mirrorless setup and really enjoy that bag. So anyone looking into shoulder/messenger bags I'd recommend taking a look at what Domke has to offer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Luds34 said:
A buddy introduced me to Domke. I picked up the F-5XB to carry my mirrorless setup and really enjoy that bag. So anyone looking into shoulder/messenger bags I'd recommend taking a look at what Domke has to offer.

As we drift further off topic ;) I'll add that I have a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 for my EOS M kit, and it's great - holds the M2, M11-22, M18-55, M22/2 and a 270EX II perfectly with no wasted space.

As a side note, I'm a big proponent of bags that hold what you need to carry and nothing more – that's probably why I have so many! :D

Upvote 0
If you are looking for a messenger bag and not just a camera bag, there's an expensive option which is peak design's everyday bag.

I have it and I have mixed feelings about it. My main issue is that it's a shoulder carry which offers for quicker access, but if you go in heavy it's a lot of weight on one shoulder. There is an easy access top zipper on it, but if you load the bag up, it will actually make it highly inconvenient to use, and easier to pull the cover on and off to access the compartment.

It's not a great full duty camera bag, but it's main pros are:
It's smart looking. Can be used not as a camera bag (work/casual bag use option). Very adjustable. Holds laptops, but mainly designed for apple macbooks in mind. non-macbooks that fit are 13inch and down.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Luds34 said:

As we drift further off topic ;) I'll add that I have a Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20 for my EOS M kit, and it's great - holds the M2, M11-22, M18-55, M22/2 and a 270EX II perfectly with no wasted space.

As a side note, I'm a big proponent of bags that hold what you need to carry and nothing more – that's probably why I have so many! :D

Yes, my apologies to the OP. ;)

100% agree on bags carrying exactly what is needed. As an aside, I too have the Mirrorless Mover 20... and the Mirrorless Mover 10, Lowepro Dashpoint 20.

PSA: The Mirrorless Mover 10 fits the 6D + 40mm pancake as perfectly as that Dashpoint fits the M + 22mm pancake.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Luds34 said:

I have used the Citywalker without the insert as a messenger bag. For travel, I can load the bag / insert with the DSLR attached to the 24-70, and the 100-400, 16-35, 430EXii, batteries, chargers, memory cards and then put the bag into my carry on duffle bag. When I arrive, I lighten the load and can carry the camera with 2 or 3 lenses using the insert or just the camera and a jacket or personal items as a messenger bag. Not perfect, but it gives me options. Another way to go is to just put the insert into your carry on luggage and the empty messenger bag folds into a relatively small item to pack. One option I have not tried is to put the insert into a backpack for travel then use the bag with the insert as a shoulder bag when I arrive.

As many have mentioned, I also have 2 TT holsters, an F-Stop Loka with tow different ICU's for trekking, and a Mirorless Mover for my (very underused) M. Just got rid of a few sling bags (2 Lowepro and one Kata 3n1) and some older shoulder bags that were too small for what I now use. Still looking for the perfect way to carry my gear, as we all are.

Upvote 0