Ballhead for Gitzo 2542L

Going to replace ballhead and would like to get RRS BH-55 but thinking the size/weight might make a 2 series top heavy. Any thoughts if this is too big of head for these legs?

If 55 is too big, any other recommendations between BH-40, Kirk, Markins Q20, Acratech that would fit these legs better? Right now biggest lens is 70-300L and not sure if I would go much bigger (maybe 400 5.6) and if I did I would probably have to go to gitzo 3 series anyway.

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
privatebydesign said:
BH55 would be overkill in my opinion.

I got an Arcratech GP and think it is the medium capacity best general photography head out there, if I lost mine tonight I'd order another from B&H tomorrow.

Acratech has first rate customer service as well. The liquid in the bubble level of my clamp evaporated around two or three years after I bought it. I called Acratech and they sent me a replacement immediately (at no charge of course).

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I have the full range of Markins ballheads, and highly recommend them.

I had the Q10 on a 2-series Gitzo a few years ago, and it's a very well balanced combo that can handle anything you can put on those legs. Kept the Q10 when I sold the Gitzo and still use it on my RRS. Really like the "sweet spot" adjustment on Markins heads, and the strength-to-weight ratio.

Upvote 0
Just to throw in another option:

http://www.manfrotto.com/hydrostatic-ball-head-with-rc4-rapid-connect-system

I use this one on a SIRUI 3204X and I am very satisfied:
- very sturdy ball head
- no visible deviation while fixing the ball after positioning the camera
with 70-200 + APS-C
- very low deviation with the 4.6 400 in near horizontal positions
- the panning is released/locked separately and works VERY smooth - might be usable for
video but I have to produce a handle to lead the camera well ...

But:
- choose the exchangeable plate well - I had a lot of RC4s just before I bought that head
- and is not too compact/light at 730 grams

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mb66energy said:
Just to throw in another option:

http://www.manfrotto.com/hydrostatic-ball-head-with-rc4-rapid-connect-system

But:
- choose the exchangeable plate well - I had a lot of RC4s just before I bought that head
- and is not too compact/light at 730 grams

I had the linked 468MG hydrostatic head for a while, definitely a nice head (arguably the best of the Manfrotto ballheads).

Regarding choosing the QR plate well, best advice is to NOT choose a Manfrotto plate at all. The RC2 wiggles in the locked clamp, the RC0 and RC4 don't but are bigger than the bottom of the camera, and way bigger than a lens collar foot, so they stick out and get in the way.

Whatever head you choose, get one that uses the Arca Swiss-type plate/clamp system. (For the Manfrotto 468MG, get the head with no clamp and add a Wimberley C-12, Kirk, or RRS clamp...but for that price I'd say just get the RRS BH-40 LR).

Upvote 0
kirkcha said:
Going to replace ballhead and would like to get RRS BH-55 but thinking the size/weight might make a 2 series top heavy. Any thoughts if this is too big of head for these legs?
I have the travel version of these legs and I have the BH-55. In use, the head does not feel too big or heavy for the legs. If you use a tripod sling (i.e. Op/Tech sling), you want to flip the tripod head side down due to the weight of the BH-55.

Upvote 0
Thank you for all the great recommendations. The Uniqball is a new one to me and looks interesting.

Eldar said:
I have the 2540F, with the RRS BH-40 head. Which works well. I have a BH-55 also, but I use that on a larger RRS TVC-34. I don´t really see the point of having a lighter tripod, just to weight it down with a heavy head.

Yes, this makes sense. The reason I was thinking about the BH-55 is the price difference is really not that much different than the BH-40 and I would not have to upgrade in the future (other than legs) if I did go bigger. Along with everyone seems to love this head. But if it might be unstable it defeats the purpose. I did buy the 2 series to save some weight for hiking but I do have a lighter weight ballhead (Sirui K30) currently I could swap out. Just trying to avoid buying twice and get the best quality I can. Down the line I can see the value of having two different setups and might buy a 3 series too. All the advice is great and thanks again (currently using RRS L Bracket)

Upvote 0
kirkcha said:

If 55 is too big, any other recommendations between BH-40, Kirk, Markins Q20, Acratech that would fit these legs better? Right now biggest lens is 70-300L and not sure if I would go much bigger (maybe 400 5.6) and if I did I would probably have to go to gitzo 3 series anyway.

I use an Arca Swiss monoball Z. It is much heavier than the BH-40 but lighter than the BH-55. It does make my GT 2541 a bit top-heavy, but not nearly as much as the RRS leveling base TA-U-LB does.
In my opinion, the top heaviness isn't an issue. When you use it, it will have a much heavier camera+lens combo anyway, and you should add sandbags etc. to stabilize it in any case.
However, a less ergonomic ballhead will be a bigger problem, and most people who've used both say the BH-40 isn't as ergonomic as the BH-55. Of course, I think the Arca Swiss is more ergonomic than either (review below):
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Arca-Swiss-Monoball-Z1-Ballhead-Review.aspx

Upvote 0
kirkcha said:
Thank you for all the great recommendations. The Uniqball is a new one to me and looks interesting.

Eldar said:
I have the 2540F, with the RRS BH-40 head. Which works well. I have a BH-55 also, but I use that on a larger RRS TVC-34. I don´t really see the point of having a lighter tripod, just to weight it down with a heavy head.

Yes, this makes sense. The reason I was thinking about the BH-55 is the price difference is really not that much different than the BH-40 and I would not have to upgrade in the future (other than legs) if I did go bigger. Along with everyone seems to love this head. But if it might be unstable it defeats the purpose. I did buy the 2 series to save some weight for hiking but I do have a lighter weight ballhead (Sirui K30) currently I could swap out. Just trying to avoid buying twice and get the best quality I can. Down the line I can see the value of having two different setups and might buy a 3 series too. All the advice is great and thanks again (currently using RRS L Bracket)
If you are considering a future upgrade of your tripod to something bigger, like a Gitzo 3-series or RRS 3-series, the BH-55 may well make sense and be a good choice. I have been very happy with that head. But I can use my 2540F, which is quite close to your 2542L, and the BH-40 with a 1DX/70-200 f2.8L IS II combo, with absolutely no problem. By weighing down the tripod, using the built in hook, I am sure I could also go further, but then I would normally prefer gimbal heads.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
kirkcha said:

Eldar said:

If you are considering a future upgrade of your tripod to something bigger, like a Gitzo 3-series or RRS 3-series, the BH-55 may well make sense and be a good choice. I have been very happy with that head. But I can use my 2540F, which is quite close to your 2542L, and the BH-40 with a 1DX/70-200 f2.8L IS II combo, with absolutely no problem. By weighing down the tripod, using the built in hook, I am sure I could also go further, but then I would normally prefer gimbal heads.

Thanks Eldar, I think I have decided on RRS and good to know the BH-40 is more than enough for my current needs. Just need to decided about future upgrades. Since I am only a couple hours away from RRS seems like a good excuse for a road trip to get my hands on them. Really appreciate everyones input, so many great choices.

Upvote 0