Best lens for a vacation -- can only choose one

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
All,

I'm off on a vaca before too long and thought I'd forego the usual bag full of gear for a simpler setup. I plan to travel with only one lens on my camera.

But if you only had to choose one lens for your camera for a week long trip, what would it be? I'm game to rent, so let's keep everything on the table.

Personal Considerations:

1) I'll bring my trusty 5D3.

2) Generally, on vaca, I'll keep it to touristy endeavors -- I shoot landscapes, candids, and occasional architecture and macro. I am not a birder, and I have no desire to lug a long tele around where we'll be.

3) I usually have to stick and move to keep up with my significant other, so dedicated, composed work is usually not on the table. I may stash my travel Gitzo tripod / ball head / L plate and ND grads, but I haven't made up my mind yet. If I did, I'd probably only get 1-2 chances to use it all week.

4) My destination is off the grid & tropical. It's absolutely going to rain where we're going, so a weather sealed lens is a must.

5) I'd prefer a not carry a super showy piece of kit like an Otus or white L lens. I'm unlikely to shoot street where we're going, but still, I don't want to go waving a howitzer around.

6) I'd prefer an AF lens. Without a proper focusing screen option on the 5D3, I'd just waste a large aperture Zeiss rental by stopping everything down to avoid missing the focus.

Personally, I'm leaning towards renting the new 35L II, but I am not married to the idea. The occasional macro + weather sealing + general range makes the 24-70 F/4L IS a very safe call, but again, I'm game to hear alternatives.

Advice appreciated, thx.

- A

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I'd take my 24-70/2.8L II... But personally, I'd never travel with just one lens. I
My M kit (M2, 3 lenses, flash) takes up the same volume as the 1D X + 24-70, and I'd likely choose that option with such a constraint.

I've toyed with the thought of just bringing my most excellent 28mm f/2.8 IS (I really do adore the IQ for the size), but it's not sealed and I certainly will see rain regularly.

I also considered renting a small fixed-lens FF rig (Leica Q, RX1R II, etc.), but that kind of defeats the purpose of owning the 5D3, IMHO. So it's 5D3 or bust for me. That's the only 100% solid constraint I have.

- A

Upvote 0
Usually in these types of situations, I wuss out and go with the 24-70 f/2.8 II (never tried the f/4 IS), but I'd kick myself for not bringing at least one other lens especially if it's for more than a day.

Like Neuro, the M + lenses is an option (esp. if DSLRs aren't allowed), but it's slow AF and processing lag drives me crazy. I used it at a hockey game a few weeks ago just because DSLRs aren't allowed, and I missed a lot of shots. For P&S, it's a valid choice.

But if you are considering rentals and would relax some other requirements, I would consider
Sigma 24-35 f/2 + Canon 50 f/1.8 STM (yeah, they're not that weather-resistant so it's a fair-weather kit).
I'd be fun to try something new and still cover a decent focal length range. f/2 is good for indoor ambients most of the time. And the 50 f/1.8 is small enough to "count" as a fraction that is rounded down. ::)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Random Orbits said:
Usually in these types of situations, I wuss out and go with the 24-70 f/2.8 II (never tried the f/4 IS), but I'd kick myself for not bringing at least one other lens especially if it's for more than a day.

Like Neuro, the M + lenses is an option (esp. if DSLRs aren't allowed), but it's slow AF and processing lag drives me crazy. I used it at a hockey game a few weeks ago just because DSLRs aren't allowed, and I missed a lot of shots. For P&S, it's a valid choice.

But if you are considering rentals and would relax some other requirements, I would consider
Sigma 24-35 f/2 + Canon 50 f/1.8 STM (yeah, they're not that weather-resistant so it's a fair-weather kit).
I'd be fun to try something new and still cover a decent focal length range. f/2 is good for indoor ambients most of the time. And the 50 f/1.8 is small enough to "count" as a fraction that is rounded down. ::)

Yeah. Deep down, I think I'd like a new toy to play with / new viewpoint to appreciate, even if it's just a rental. So the 24-70 f/4L IS is perfect for saying yes to the most needs, but I'd like to try something new.

In my head, I'm thinking wide + fast + prime, but I certainly could be talked down.

- A

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
ahsanford said:
2) Generally, on vaca, I'll keep it to touristy endeavors -- I shoot landscapes, candids, and occasional architecture and macro. I am not a birder, and I have no desire to lug a long tele around where we'll be.

Personally, I'm leaning towards renting the new 35L II, but I am not married to the idea. The occasional macro + weather sealing + general range makes the 24-70 F/4L IS a very safe call, but again, I'm game to hear alternatives.

I picked up a 24-70 f/4 IS when they were on sale for pretty cheap on that big auction site (white box lens) and it has been a pleasant surprise- especially the macro function. It's pretty lightweight as a bonus.

I'd also bring a 16-35 to cover the wider perspective. The f/4 version is supposed to be nice.

Probably not in the same league as the new 35mm, but those other 2 lenses would cover lots of opportunities... as long as f/4 is good.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
danski0224 said:
ahsanford said:

I picked up a 24-70 f/4 IS when they were on sale for pretty cheap on that big auction site (white box lens) and it has been a pleasant surprise- especially the macro function. It's pretty lightweight as a bonus.

I'd also bring a 16-35 to cover the wider perspective. The f/4 version is supposed to be nice.

Probably not in the same league as the new 35mm, but those other 2 lenses would cover lots of opportunities... as long as f/4 is good.

Yeah, I have the 16-35 f/4L IS, and I generally do prefer wider FLs on a walkaround. It's a great lens -- light, sharp as all get out, sealed, IS, etc.

I do feel the slower speed of that lens -- if it's my only one on the trip -- will greatly limit my small DOF opportunities.

- A

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
If you consider a f4.0 zoom think about a 40/2.8 pancake or a 50/1.8 STM as small cheapo lens that gives you more aperture. Esp. the pancake is sooo small. You won't recognize it until you'll need its f2.8.
Otherwise I'd also go for a 24-70/2.8 (v1 or 2).

A 28 mm lens would be too much wideangle for one lens alone, IMO. If you'd pair it with 50 or 85 mm I'd think it's fine. But you were talking about weather sealing, so forget about that.

More and more it looks like a 24-70/2.8 to me...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Maximilian said:
If you consider a f4.0 zoom think about a 40/2.8 pancake or a 50/1.8 STM as small cheapo lens that gives you more aperture. Esp. the pancake is sooo small. You won't recognize it until you'll need its f2.8.
Otherwise I'd also go for a 24-70/2.8 (v1 or 2).

A 28 mm lens would be too much wideangle for one lens alone, IMO. If you'd pair it with 50 or 85 mm I'd think it's fine. But you were talking about weather sealing, so forget about that.

More and more it looks like a 24-70/2.8 to me...

Yep. That's why I was ever-so-slightly leaning towards the 35 f/1.4L II. I can still pull off a waist-up portrait and get some good subject isolation with it, yet it's not too long for the occasional landscape.

I rented a Sigma 35 Art over my Christmas travels, and I enjoyed it a lot, but the AF hit rate wider than f/2 was downright poor (even with careful technique, not focusing and recomposing, etc.). So perhaps that new 35L will better hit the mark for me...

- A

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
In my case I would take my 6D and 24-105mm f/4. I don't own a 24-70mm, but even if I did, and could only carry one lens, it would be the 24-105. On a trip to South America, I could only take what would fit in a modest-size backpack. I took the 6D & 24-105 and 60D and 70-200 f/4 IS. Same batteries, same memory cards, same chargers, etc. Backed up to a WD Passport Wireless that can copy SD cards. No room for a computer. Used the 6D / lens combo 80% of the time, but glad I had the other with me. Of course I wasn't willing to be that far away from home with only one body and only one lens. Nothing broke, but I was covered if something happened. Also I took about 10 SD cards, and changed cards on average every day of two. On the following trip to Alaska I added the 400mm f/5.6 for raptor and whale shots. Always shot the 6D when possible. Used the 70-200mm for Puffins and the like.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To my mind, this is not a question of the best lens but of the best camera. If you are not going to change lenses and want a general purpose lens, then don't take a DSLR but take a Powershot with the appropriate zoom. I travel now with the G3 X, which gives 24-600mm. The quality is superb all the way through.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:

3) I usually have to stick and move to keep up with my significant other, so dedicated, composed work is usually not on the table. I may stash my travel Gitzo tripod / ball head / L plate and ND grads, but I haven't made up my mind yet. If I did, I'd probably only get 1-2 chances to use it all week.

Looking at the bigger picture, I always take a lens selection based on destination and what will lkely be encountered. The general purpose zoom does cover most of that. For me, with an urban destination I'll add the TS-E 17 or TS-E 24 for architecture, if there's night street photo ops a fast wide prime (35L), etc.

The other consideration when traveling with others is how much you can forego sleep. ;) Depending on time of year, you may be able to go out later or get up earlier and go out shooting at blue-hour for architecture, or golden-hour/sunset/sunrise for landscapes.

I also find that having the right bag for the gear is critical, for example on business trips to Europe I carry on a Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 250, which holds the 1D X + 24-70/2.8, two extra lenses (usually both TS-Es), and the M+11-22 in the camera compartment, both my laptops (personal 17" MacBook Pro and work 13" MacBook Air) in the laptop compartment, and a sweater, headphones, etc., in the personal compartment. The tripod goes in checked luggage.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I also find that having the right bag for the gear is critical, for example on business trips to Europe I carry on a Lowepro DSLR Video Fastpack 250, which holds the 1D X + 24-70/2.8, two extra lenses (usually both TS-Es), and the M+11-22 in the camera compartment, both my laptops (personal 17" MacBook Pro and work 13" MacBook Air) in the laptop compartment, and a sweater, headphones, etc., in the personal compartment. The tripod goes in checked luggage.

Preaching to the choir there, Neuro.

I'm a veteran mixed bag traveler, carrying a mix of gear and personal items. For a long weekend, I bring a satchel with a Tenba insert, 5D + 2-3 lenses and I can still tuck a laptop or iPad, granola bars, raincoat, clear bag for TSA liquids, etc. in there. Longer trips I have deeper satchels that will take a second Tenba insert (and still fit under my seat) and for very long trips with a dedicated landscape element to it, my GuraGear Kiboko comes out and I bring the kitchen sink. And sometimes I port in with a huge bag full of gear but I also collapse a smaller bag in my luggage for day excursions from the place I'm staying (if it's practical, safe, etc. to do so).

But with this trip, I'm strongly leaning towards a tiny bag -- body + lens + blackrapid strap + possibly my ubersmall 90EX for emergency lighting (I use a flash once a week on a vacation, honestly, it's not what I do).

All of that would easily fit in my tiny Kata Hybrid bag (basically, a lunchbox sized shoulder bag). I usually carry bags that do not scream camera (DIY budget canvas satchels + tenba inserts), but I don't have anything like that in a similar Kata Hybrid form factor -- a classic Domke or trip to the army/navy surplus store is undoubtedly in my future.

- A

Upvote 0