Birding in Turkey/Istanbul

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been invited to Istanbul at the beginning of March and want to stay on for some days for birding. Any information, advice or a recommended birding guide would be most welcome. I know there is migration towards the end of the month but my experience of that elsewhere is that the birds are rather too high for photographs.

ISO64

CR Pro
Jul 2, 2015
I can recommend https://ebird.org/hotspots
as a starting point. Just navigate the map until you zoom onto the region you are willing to cover. Closer the colour to red, more species have been seen there. Select "Bar charts" for birds most likely to be there.
This plus weather forecast at least sets your expectations right ;)
Happy new year!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
I would recommend ebird always but change the way you are looking for "hotspots":
The hotspots there are evaluated by the ## of species reported. That numbers could differ seasonally (especially during the migration) and the number of resident birders at/near that spot: for example Ankara or Istanbul could be better represented because of higher populations or/and presence of universities there. Also: the birders are kind of nomads (Alan is good example and not only Alan :)) - they use to move after "interesting" birds. But what is interesting for the local birders could be something very common for you!

My way of using the Ebird (out of Hawaii) is to search the Internet with "Ebird Ankara" (for example). Once there look for "recent visits" and click "more recent visits" below.
You will get imagination of what the real-time hotspots are around. Click on the date for a particular visit (you choose it from the list) and you will get an info about the time of the day, what species have been encountered and a small map (very important for better navigation once on the place!).
And off course - good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0