Black and white sliders issue with Lightroom and new Masking

Dec 13, 2010
Hi!

I’ve been in contact with Adobe today regarding an issue I have in the new masking panel. They couldn’t figure it out so I’m asking here;

When I press command/option and moving the blacks and whites slider in the Basic panel the pictures goes black for the whites slider and show what is clipped with white areas.

But, if I go into the new Masking panel and for example do a subject mask and try to do the same I do not see the black with white when clipped, I can only see the picture and only the histogram to show what’s clipped.

The support tech couldn’t recreate the issue at his end and I can’t understand what could cause this.

Does this work the same in both the Basic panel and in the Masking panel for you guys?

TIA

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting question - I'm not if I'm getting it right in terms of what you are asking.
If I go select subject and do (in Windows) Alt White or Black Slider it doesn't show what clips.
I do this often in the basic panel
I never did it say with a brush or filter in the previous version but doing it in the current by brush / Filter or subject mask Alt white or black slider doesn't show any clipping information
I think I understand what you are trying to do. Typically I do it photoshop using Luminosity Masks. Generally Lumenzia but I've a few different extensions

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting question - I'm not if I'm getting it right in terms of what you are asking.
If I go select subject and do (in Windows) Alt White or Black Slider it doesn't show what clips.
I do this often in the basic panel
I never did it say with a brush or filter in the previous version but doing it in the current by brush / Filter or subject mask Alt white or black slider doesn't show any clipping information
I think I understand what you are trying to do. Typically I do it photoshop using Luminosity Masks. Generally Lumenzia but I've a few different extensions
I was disappointed Lightroom changed that whole area. It would have been better in a new section rather than adding the functionality under masking. It's not very straightforward and its pushing some commonly used tool one layer lower. The advantage for me was Lightroom was simple. If I wanted complicated I use Photoshop. It's messy the way they've implemented it. Select subject is welcome.
What Lightroom needed was a good content aware eraser function and it still doesn't have it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was disappointed Lightroom changed that whole area. It would have been better in a new section rather than adding the functionality under masking. It's not very straightforward and its pushing some commonly used tool one layer lower. The advantage for me was Lightroom was simple. If I wanted complicated I use Photoshop. It's messy the way they've implemented it. Select subject is welcome.
What Lightroom needed was a good content aware eraser function and it still doesn't have it.
You can customize the position of the tool panels and even not display the ones you don't use or aren't interested in.

Personally I like the move to more options and a fuller feature set. I can do ever more of my work totally inside LR now. For instance I shot a function from 6-8pm last week where I had 421 RAW files imported, processed, developed, adjusted and cropped individually and output to full sized jpegs, then uploaded to a public site for free download by 10pm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0