Blackmagic Design releases the final version of DaVinci Resolve 17

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Blackmagic Design announced DaVinci Resolve 17 back in November, and it has been in beta form ever since. The long wait for the final version is now over, and you can download Davinci Resolve 17 for free over at Blackmagic Design.
There are more than 300 new features including HDR grading, AI magic mask, improved Fairlight usability, improved editing and much more.
DaVinci Resolve 17 Features

Next-generation HDR color correction with customizable wheels and tonal zones. Mesh and grid-based color warper delivers an entirely new way to transform color. Magic mask automatic object isolation powered by the DaVinci Neural Engine.
Improved color management with tone mapping and color space aware tools. Massive DaVinci wide-gamut color space for higher quality image processing. High-speed audio editing with a new keyboard and mouse context-sensitive tools. Fairlight Audio Core engine with auto load balancing and support for 2,000 tracks. Revolutionary FlexBus architecture for audio...

Continue reading...

Only one thing matters: did they include scaling for the UI? All Davinci Resolve editions to date have been unusable on Windows because no human being can read the microprint words on the interface. You have to change the OS scaling completely, which screws up other things.
Unbelievable as it is in today's day and age, this most basic of all features is still missing from Davinci ... except in the Mac OS

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I downloaded it. I'm not a video person, but I did watch the basic training tutorial. I just make very basic edits to videos, so even the free version is gross overkill. I was just mostly curious as to what a current video editor could do. I find it a bit mindboggling.

I don't even know enough to view the issue with UI scaling on my 30 inch monitor. I had a problem figuring out how to exit the program ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
I'd love nothing better than to be able to use it. Unfortunately the Linux version flatly refuses to run on my system...claiming I have no graphics card.
The issue is going to be that you don't have a fully working openCL or CUDA stack. You can take a look over here for help. Start about 5 pages from the end. I run it on a Centos 8 build with the AMDGPU-pro drivers. The standard distro drivers aren't going to work for ether NVidia or AMD.

I agree the scaling of the UI is an issue but you get used to it once you know the keyboard short cuts and where things are. For me it is a fantastic tool but every ones needs are different.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. What hardware is required please? And is that only for Studio or both versions?

As far as I heard it works in the Free Version too, but I couldn't get it to work yesterday because Free Version doesn't read the R5/R6 Files because of the Used HEVC Profile.

The Studio Version works great so far, I can Playback Edit and Cut 4K60 from R5 on my Dell XPS 13 9300.

The Hardware needed is a GPU/iGPU that supports Hardware Decoding of HEVC 4:2:2 thats, as far as I know, Intel Ice-Lake and Tiger-Lake iGPUs.

Upvote 0
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
But no ProRes Raw support. This makes it h less useful to me. In fact, when last I used DRS, I was unable to render successfully in a project that was created in XAVC 10 bit. It would simply freeze. And always at the exact same spot. This is a show stopper, so I’m back to using FCPX. I paid full price for the license, so this is more than disappointing.

Upvote 0
But no ProRes Raw support. This makes it h less useful to me. In fact, when last I used DRS, I was unable to render successfully in a project that was created in XAVC 10 bit. It would simply freeze. And always at the exact same spot. This is a show stopper, so I’m back to using FCPX. I paid full price for the license, so this is more than disappointing.
ProRes RAW support will never come afaik.

BM has it's own, Free, RAW Codec and there are even more Cameras using it.
You can record it with a Video Assist 12G for example with a Nikon Z6 II.

I would rather have BRAW with my a7S III then ProRes RAW in Resolve.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
ProRes RAW support will never come afaik.

BM has it's own, Free, RAW Codec and there are even more Cameras using it.
You can record it with a Video Assist 12G for example with a Nikon Z6 II.

I would rather have BRAW with my a7S III then ProRes RAW in Resolve.
And does the A7S3 support BRaw? No it does not.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Did you even read?

As I said I would prefer BRAW with the a7S III ober ProRes RAW in Resolve.
If wishes were horses, beggars would ride. There are zero plans for Sony to support BRaw on any cameras. I doubt Canon will either. Most cameras manufacturers are jumping on ProRes Raw; Which is why DR should bite the bullet and add support for it.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Strangely Nikon is adding BRaw recording with BM recorders to their firmware. My understanding is the the reason there is no Prores Raw on BM is Apple not Black Magic. Mind you I don't really care enough to do a deep dive on it. While some manufacturers may be adding support for PRR it still has second class support and most people will use the manufacurers version of RAW when shooting.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Strangely Nikon is adding BRaw recording with BM recorders to their firmware. My understanding is the the reason there is no Prores Raw on BM is Apple not Black Magic. Mind you I don't really care enough to do a deep dive on it. While some manufacturers may be adding support for PRR it still has second class support and most people will use the manufacurers version of RAW when shooting.
It’s a very good format though, and more manufacturers are supporting it. I believe it’s won an award or two.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Any source on Ice / Tiger Lake supposedly supporting H.265 10-bit 4:2:2? I could not find that info anywhere.
i have tigerlake. it seems to run a bit better than any other computer i had. i had the a 2020 razer blade pro and it ran like crap with the r5 and c70 files. i do feel like the c70 files run a little smoother even though they are the same codec when 4.2.2. the only problem with tigerlake now is that they are all only 4 cores, no high end version exists until later this year

Upvote 0