buy a 1DX used now or wait to buy a 5D4 later

Feb 23, 2012
I was planning to buy a 5D4 to replace my 5D3. Waiting for the price to come down a bit next year.

Now I was offered a used 1DX (2013 - less than 25K shutter count) in mint condition with everything original included. The price is right - US$2.4K equivalent.

I only shoot stills , mostly landscape and I travel a lot. The 1DX may be too heavy for trips but I have other light weight cameras and mirror-less as well for that purpose. I am considering this heavy beast because I never owned Canon full size body before and again the price seems right. The only full size camera I owned previously was a Nikon D2X.

Is it worth replacing my 5D3 with the 1DX ? Or should I just wait for the 5D4 ?

Really hard to decide. Can somebody help me please ?

I own a 5d3 and then purchased 1dx to pair with my 5d3. Other then like privatebydesign said, you specificly need the build or fps the 5d3 and 1dx feel like the same camera (unscientific to me) image quality wise. I absolutely love the form factor of the 1dx and the 2 custom function buttons on the front in both landscape and portrait orientation. After owning both, I long for either a 5dsr(II) or 5div to pair with the 1dx.

You will gain better image quality from the 5div, but you won't with the 1dx (unless the fps or build help you gain those images you couldn't before)

If I was in your position, shooting mostly landscape, I wouldn't even consider the 1dx over the 5div. The 5div should handle everything but the worst of weather

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
My main working pair of bodies is a 5D4 and a 1DX, with a 7DII getting frequent use for sports projects.

While the 1DX has that indescribable "carved from a solid lump of Unobtanium" feel, and is a sheer joy to use with it's superior ergonomics, I'd still pick up the 5D4 for my most important shots in any project. Agreeing with privatebydesign, the 5D4 is superior in most respects.

If long term, heavy use durability is important to you, I'll mention that my old 5D3 was on it's third shutter when I sold it. Average life was around 130k. CPS confirmed this as fairly normal. By comparison, my 1DX needed a new shutter at 490k, and is still functioning like new at close to 600k. To be fair, the 1DX shutter replacement cost was more than double the 5DIII shutter cost. Shutter life is far from the major consideration when buying a camera.

Get the 5D4...

-pw

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
brad-man said:
Right now a gray market 5DlV can be had from a respectable ebay dealer for $2430. I seriously doubt you'll see a much lower price until the 5DV is released. I bought one and it's a wonderful camera...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162197189088?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=162197189088&rmvSB=true

I purchased a grey market 5D3 before. The camera was re-packed with the 24 105 removed. The serial number on the body didn't match with that on the box. I didn't pay any attention to it. After several months, when I was checking the shutter actuation of the camera , I discovered that the SN on the body wasn't identical to that shown in the program. Since then I began to suspect that some of the grey market may have been re-worked and I have not much confidence in buying them.

Anyway it's a great suggestion. Thanks

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I sympathize with your negative experience with gray market. The reason I mentioned "a respectable ebay dealer" is because all gray market sellers are not the same. DAY have a 99.8% positive rating after over 22k sales. The 5DlV I purchased from them had the 24-105 kit lens removed as well, but all serial numbers from box, camera, etc match. And no, I don't work on commission :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Are you in the U.S.?

If so, here are your options:

$2,400 for a used 1Dx I;
$2,430 for a grey market 5DIV with no warranty;
$2,600 for a Canon refurbished with one-year warranty;
$2,900 for a new 5DIV with "free" grip through Canon Price Watch street price program, full warranty and drop protection.

Sell the grip for $150-$200 and the difference is $300-$350 for a brand new camera.

Add in the $100 difference between 1Dx batteries and 5D batteries and you are down to $200 to $250 net, for a brand new camera with full warranty.

Of course, this only works in the U.S.

Upvote 0
I just picked up 1DX to go with my 6D. I wasn't planning on buying a new camera but I got a great deal so I couldn't pass it up. It is a lot of fun to shoot with and the control you have is over the camera is amazing. But I would say wait for the 5D4.
I shoot mostly Landscapes, so it is nice to know I have a body I can take anywhere and not worry about it but the extra weight, is pretty annoying when hiking or shooting with 2 bodies for me.
I would prefer or DR and MP over the FPS and build quality in my landscape work.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I own the 1DXII and the 5DIV. I had the 1DX for 6 months before getting the 1DXII. As much as I really liked the 1DX, I would definitely recommend the 5DIV, unless your main use is action photography.

Image quality is better, and features like touch screen, dual pixel AF, wifi and GPS does make a difference. You will also appreciate the 5DIV for its wider spread of AF points and ability to focus in low light.

Upvote 0
bluemoon said:
One feature nobody is mentioning is the exposure metering at the focusing point. In my case, shooting concerts required the ability to properly expose the image without recomposing. Taking into account the fast movoement and continuously changing lights, 1DX beats the 5D4. . .

pierre

I'll second this: I have both the 1DX & 5D4, and for ease of handling, the smaller body is much more preferable, but for control & customisation the 1DX wins.

I always end up wishing I had my spot metering linked to the focus point.

You will be very happy with either, just depends on your use case.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
awair said:
bluemoon said:
One feature nobody is mentioning is the exposure metering at the focusing point. In my case, shooting concerts required the ability to properly expose the image without recomposing. Taking into account the fast movoement and continuously changing lights, 1DX beats the 5D4. . .

pierre

I'll second this: I have both the 1DX & 5D4, and for ease of handling, the smaller body is much more preferable, but for control & customisation the 1DX wins.

I find any kind of auto exposure utterly unworkable at concerts, I use manual mode exclusively. Indeed I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
privatebydesign said:
awair said:
bluemoon said:

pierre

I find any kind of auto exposure utterly unworkable at concerts, I use manual mode exclusively. Indeed I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

I was taking pictures of a lady playing a fiddle... dark background, dark vest, but a white shirt on. On spot exposure, as her arm moved in and out of the spot, the exposure changed..... best example I have for why to not leave exposure as automatic.....

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
privatebydesign said:
...I find very little practical use for the AF linked spot metering and wouldn't give a seconds thought if it were omitted or deleted.

I'm in that camp as well. I think it is one of those things that is a matter of personal preference. In fact, if it weren't for all the people on this forum talking about linked spot metering I wouldn't even know it existed or that I have it on the 1DX II. I just added the 5DIV as a second body and haven't seen any difference in metering.

What I do notice, however, is the silent shutter. I was used to the 5DIII, when I bought the 1DX II and always found the loud "silent" shutter distracting. So glad to have the option of using the 5D IV in situations where discretion is needed.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Metering linked to focus point - I'm using it often for my little birdies in the trees shot @560 or 800 and don't find it letting me down too often. However, I tend to go manual, especially if there is a chance the focus point may deviate from the subject. I'm happy to have that option and others that the 1 series give.
My favorite is the illuminated focus points but the 1DX is lacking that.

Jack

Upvote 0