Buying refurbished DSLRs and / or lenses directly from Canon

Jul 19, 2011
I went through the same dilemma recently and found more positive reviews of refurbished Canon equipment than negative, but it wasn't an overwhelming majority. The thing I heard over and over again is that Canon has real people spending time troubleshooting each refurb item, whereas the new stuff comes off the assembly line without as much QA/QC.

I pulled the trigger on a refurbished 7D and so far it has been a good experience overall. The camera arrived well-packaged and looking like a brand new camera. It had all the accessories in perfect condition. A 90-day warranty was included, although many of those bad reviews revolved around getting something fixed within the warranty period.

I had one issue with the camera writing a bad file. The first time I tried it out, two of the photos I had taken in the first week were visibly messed up. The image had only partially been recorded and there were blocky segments that were either white or magenta. It never happened on the camera again, but later, on a handful of occassions I would download images onto my computer via Lightroom and some wouldn't copy correctly. I got the same missing info in the photo and roughly half of the image would be corrupted with only magenta information being displayed. I could delete the photo from the computer and download it again from the camera and it would transfer fine. Sometimes the image wouldn't corrupt until after I had viewed it a couple times in Lightroom. This happened eight or ten times over two or three months.

Since then, I haven't had any issues at all. If I hadn't ever seen one of these corrupted images on the camera I would have guessed it was a problem with Lightroom (or my computer), especially since a couple had corrupted only after importing correctly and being viewed a couple times prior to going bad. I've wondered if I should have sent the camera in to be checked, but my warranty period is over now and it hasn't happened again.

So, 99% of the time the refurb camera has been an absolute joy and I am very glad I bought it. [Knock on wood.] I am getting tons and tons of use out of it and it's a real workhorse. I never want to put it down.

Upvote 0
stevevihon said:
Have you purchased either a refurbished DSLR or lens from Canon? If so, what has been your experience with the equipment? I had discussed them with someone who works in a portrait studio that he had bad experiences with them. So, curious what others who have purchased them think...

bought a refurb 5D Mark II and a 35mm f/2 lens.

The 5D Mark II looked new and the shutter count was just under 1000 according to the software.

The 35mm f/2 was indistinguishable from new.

Satisfied with both purchases.

One thing to be aware of is that after taxes and shipping, the discount might be quite a bit less than 20%. You need to figure the price after all these costs are taken into account, then compare with buying new.

I believe even taking all this into account, there are some items for which the Canon refurbished price is actually less than the "street price" (e.g. closed ebay auction) of the same item used.

Upvote 0
I am also sitting on the fence about buying a refurb lens or two from Canon....but I wonder why they charge sales tax when they don't have stores in the state?? I thought that tax was only charged if the company had stores in the state they were charging tax for.

With the tax and shipping one might do better buying locally off CraigsList and not have to pay either tax or shipping. This of course assumes the seller is honest and offers some kind of warranty.

I guess if Canon does another 15% off sale on refurb lens I may go for one or two....

Ted

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
dilbert said:
This is not the fault of the camera.

This is a problem with your computer.

I've seen exactly the same problem when using a USB card reader (images were corrupted on the computers hard drive). Changing card reader solved the problem.

Since you are attaching the camera directly to your computer via USB, my suggestion would be to buy a 3rd party USB card to plug into a slot inside your computer and connect your camera to that rather than one of the USB ports that comes with the computer.

If you are just viewing the pictures on the camera with Lightroom and they are becoming corrupt in that fashion, it further points towards the USB chips in your computer not working correctly.

If you are having problems with the image once it has been downloaded (and you aren't downloading them again), then it is a deeper problem with your computer. Either buy a new one (in total) or return it for warranty repair.

Dilbert, thanks for the feedback!

The first time I noticed the problem, the corrupted image was being viewed on the camera's LCD (i.e., not with Lightroom) and I was not connected to the computer and hadn't ever downloaded images from the camera to the computer yet. That's what first made me think it was a camera issue, but as I said, it never happened on the camera again.

I thought it could be the CF card, but I've had it happen during transfer and other times I've had it happen after transfer once the CF card has been removed from the computer's card reader and placed back in the camera (both occassions being viewed via Lightroom). It's happened with different CF cards in use. I suspect it's the computer -- I'm due for a replacement -- but I still can't explain the one time seeing corrupted images on the camera itself.

Like I said though, the camera has never given me any other issue so I have no reason to discourage anyone from buying refurb.

Upvote 0
Eddie_2001 said:
I am also sitting on the fence about buying a refurb lens or two from Canon....but I wonder why they charge sales tax when they don't have stores in the state?? I thought that tax was only charged if the company had stores in the state they were charging tax for.

I think that Canon Business Products (copiers, etc.) are in almost all states. It's not just cameras.

I'm also very happy with my refurbed 7D. Can't tell it from my new one.

Jim

Upvote 0

92101media

No experience buying Canon refurb equipment, but have a comment regarding pricing. Many times street prices are below Canon MSRP e.g. say 10%. Now, say Canon refurb equipment pricing is 20% off Canon MSRP, but then has 10% added onto that discounted price for taxes & shipping, whereas an out of state online store does not. I have found that sometimes the difference in price (online, no tax, no shipping vs. Canon refurb + tax + shipping) can be negligible, and in those cases to me it's worth paying a couple of percent price premium to get a new item vs. a refurb, when purchasing through a well regarded online retailer, who offer hassle free returns/replacements & the full length manufacturer warranty (as opposed to say limited returns/replacements & a 90 day warranty that often accompanies refurb items).

Upvote 0
L

Leopard Lupus

I bought a refurbished 5D mk ll from Canon Direct about two months ago. Glad I did! 100% flawless condition. I tested its limits for all it was worth, and it holds up and functions wonderfully. My copy had only 634 as the shutter count. Everything was clean inside and out. The best part is, if you have an issue within the exchange date they provide for you, they will ship another copy that meets up to your expectations. Personally, I don't skimp on glass. I buy all of my glass new, as it is the main investment for me. The bodies on the otherhand are traded out so often, I find refurbished to be a great way to go. No regrets from this consumer!

Upvote 0
Z

Zuuyi

I'm about to pick up a Refurbished T3 from them through the Canon Loyalty Program. The T3 kit is ($440 - (20% for a broken camera)) + local tax.
So my total will be about $380.

I could go a do one of the Pixma deals and get a new T3 kit for roughly the same price; but I will risk a B camera (travel camera) buying refurbished rather than dealing with the rebate process.

If the 90 days is your biggest fear go look at an extended warranty. The one that I hear about the most is the Macks warranty, I don't plan to get one because I don't believe in extended warranties but that is a potential solution.

Upvote 0
After a lot of research I was debating between a Nikon p610, and a Canon sx60 hs. The Nikon was out of stock, we were taking a trip, so I pulled the trigger on the Canon. Using search tools, I identified the best price through a retailer and made the purchase, but after placing the order discovered that the camera was back-ordered and would not arrive in time for the trip. I went back to my search and found another "cheap" retailer, but their reviews were horrible and I had a lot of apprehension. With a lot of reluctance I placed the order. For reasons I can't explain, Canon USA didn't initially populate the list of retailers with the camera in stock. The morning after making the purchase I was really worried about the purchase I had made, and did one last search, and alas Canon USA came up on the list with a better price, a battery, charger, SD card, and 1 year warranty. With eight days until departure, I cancelled the order with the shady merchant, and ordered a refurbished sx60 from Canon. I just got it. This is the reason I'm writing.... I gambled on the 3-7 day free shipping with eight days to go and crossed my fingers that they would get it to me on time. I had already ordered accessories because I knew which camera I wanted. Here comes the amazing part, the very next day FedEx arrived in my driveway. I assumed it was a box of filters and accessories I had ordered several days prior, but I was elated to find that my camera order was contained in the box, blowing away the 3-7 day delivery estimate with a next day arrival. I can't guarantee Canon will get your camera to you that fast, but I think it is important to share when a company does something outstanding. By the way, the camera appears to be brand new, there isn't a nick or scratch on it. A quick check indicates the basics work as expected; zoom, video, flash, etc., and I'll be learning how to use it more effectively over the next few days and report back after the trip regarding the performance of the camera for recording our adventure.

Upvote 0
92101media said:
the full length manufacturer warranty (as opposed to say limited returns/replacements & a 90 day warranty that often accompanies refurb items).

Canon refurbished come with 1 year warranty the same as new. I would like to tell you that it is horrible, so when the sales happen I have a better chance of getting what I want. I have brought a few camera and lenses and I couldn't be happier. I have found them to be the best deals for me beside checking craigslist daily and buying that way.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I like the refurbished price and warranty so much that I often wait for a year after a new product comes out and buy it from the Canon refurbished store.

I've purchased several bodies and lenses that way with no problems, and I'm a very picky photographer. They come in brown boxes that were printed for some kind of consumer grade point and shoot camera, so I speculate that some items were diverted into the refurbished pipeline due to their packaging getting damaged.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a 100 macro on sale from the refurb dudes. Works perfectly. The free shipping took a while though, and they did charge sales tax, as always.

I've used the Canon Loyalty program before, but I don't think you can use that discount when things are on sale. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
JPAZ,
I bought 2 600EXII at two different times when they had sales on. Don't think I'd pay full price on it anymore. Came in generic packaging, but once out of box, there is no difference between them and a brand new one. They came with full warranty, too. Work just like brand new ones.
Bought an EF-S 10 -22 lens for my daughter, ordered on the Nov 9, and it came on Nov 10, Illinois to Virginia, can't be more pleased. Again totally generic packaging, double boxed. Initial shots were excellent. I may get one for myself to mount on my 7DII.
I'm now convinced that I'll buy this route. Taxes must be paid, either way, shipping usually not. I'm still ahead in a few ways. No pain.
-r

JPAZ said:
As I said above, I've had good experiences. But I am curious. I have always been hesitant to buy a refurbished Speedlite. Lenses and bodies don't worry me but the element that flashes has got to have a finite lifespan. Anyone out there have any thoughts about refurbished flashes?

Upvote 0
I bought a 6D referb from Canon about 6 months after they came out. I still have the camera and haven't had a single problem with it. I was willing to buy refurb vs paying what was still close to the introductory MSRP.

However, as 92101media states, Canon refurb is often competing with new product from a company like B&H - where I don't pay tax or shipping - and if B&H has any kind of a sale or discount you are often very close to or below the refurb price + tax & shipping.

I wouldn't hesitate due to the quality and warranty. I just don't think it is that big of a price break when you factor everything in.

92101media said:
No experience buying Canon refurb equipment, but have a comment regarding pricing. Many times street prices are below Canon MSRP e.g. say 10%. Now, say Canon refurb equipment pricing is 20% off Canon MSRP, but then has 10% added onto that discounted price for taxes & shipping, whereas an out of state online store does not. I have found that sometimes the difference in price (online, no tax, no shipping vs. Canon refurb + tax + shipping) can be negligible, and in those cases to me it's worth paying a couple of percent price premium to get a new item vs. a refurb, when purchasing through a well regarded online retailer, who offer hassle free returns/replacements & the full length manufacturer warranty (as opposed to say limited returns/replacements & a 90 day warranty that often accompanies refurb items).

Upvote 0