C300mkii Price Drop - $11,999.00

It's gotta be in response to the Sony FS7. Canon got spoiled when the C300 Mk I became the "it" camera in the broadcast community, and they didn't offer enough improvement in the Mk II. People I know kept shooting with the Mk I (as did I) or switched to the FS7 (which I am about to do, reluctantly).

I prefer the Canon's picture, right out of the box, but I'm told that the FS7 can be tweaked with a little work. Fingers crossed.

I love the autofocus options in the Mk II, but clients are already asking for faster non-cropped slow motion than the Mk II can do, and they will soon ask for slow motion in 4K, which the Mk II does not do at all. FS7: 180 fps in HD, 240 fps in 2K, 60 fps in 4K.

Rather than drop the price, I would have preferred Canon add features.

Upvote 0
TwinCam, don't hesitate on the FS7. I purchased one in December and it is fantastic. It's being used on almost every event down here (New Orleans) that I have been to. I've been booked multiple times specifically because of the FS7. It takes a minute to get used to, but it produces outstanding images.

I completely agree with you about them adding more features instead of price dropping. 4K 60p and useable slow motion above 120p and I may have just jumped right to it.

Upvote 0
US$4,000 off is a lot in anyone's book.

I was just reading about Sony's firmware update for the FS7:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/06/27/sony-fs7-firmware-4-0-now-available-for-download/

I looked at the C series for quite some time, but then decided for what I do, the 1DX produces the results I need (as is the perfect mix of stills and video) but I am eyeing the XF300/305 as that gives the range a DSLR can't, plus the AF that the 1DX is missing.

Upvote 0
In the UK it's a straight price drop of over £2000 - from £11,994 to £9,594 (inc VAT). No indication this is a temporary offer and no need to claim for cashback etc. Should make the camera a lot more attractive to buyers. Strange time for the price drop when there is no competition - impossible to buy the FS7 at the moment and likely to stay that way for at least another month, and even when the FS7 does become re-available it will be more expensive than when it was initially released over 2 years ago! Strange time for a price drop....

Upvote 0