camera advice

Hi,
Long time reader. (since 2008)
I think I need some upgrade advice.

Looking for a general use camera. (full frame)
I'm taking travel, candid portraits, landscape, some video.
I'd like a smaller(within reason), mostly lighter setup.
Things I would like, better high ISO!, and more DR. I never use the 7D over 3200

My current setup is a 7D Mark 1 (will sell)
EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS (great lens, will sell)
EF 24 2.8 IS
EF 50 1.8 Mark 1 (might be replaced with/or add an 85mm prime)
EF 70-300 L
10s (film camera)

Some questions:
Is it viable to keep using just EF on R body?
Is constantly changing lenses on the adapter a pain?

Best high ISO for the money seems to be the RP, but I held it at best buy, its way too small for my hands.
Does the grip make a significant difference? My current 7D is perfect.

6D Mark II, RP + grip, R, something else, refurbished/used? or do I wait?
R6 is out of my price range.

Thanks any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 29, 2011
Over 3200 ISO there is zero visible difference to any Canon FF sensor made in the last ten years.

When normalized there is no practical difference between a 6D and an R5 or R6, or even an R3. Certainly more optimized software and post processing will have a bigger impact on your output.

There are many benefits for going to the R series cameras, principally AF, but the truth is 5D IV's are an amazing bargain and mean your current lens selection needs little tweaking.

1660841135334.png

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Some questions:

Best high ISO for the money seems to be the RP, but I held it at best buy, its way too small for my hands.

I have the RP which I bought to try the mirrorless R camera, and if I liked it my intention was to sell it on and get something ‘better’. I like FF mirrorless for its small size; other than that if I’m going to carry a brick around I’m happy with my 5DS cameras.

So I like the RP and don’t see the point of changing it as it meets my criteria of a small, light FF camera. I don’t use any RF lenses apart from the RF 50/1.8 (which isn’t really a mirrorless lens design anyway but is compact on the camera), other than that I always have the adapter on and it’s no different to no adapter apart from the increased physical size from native. I also have the excellent 70-300 L and it works 100% on the RP, as do all my EF lenses.

The grip extension does make a big difference; I use it whenever not having small lenses on the camera and it makes for a very comfortable camera to hold.

One note of caution if looking at the RP (or R). It has a slow frame rate compared with your 7D. (Or indeed anything with the exception of a 1960s Spotmatic perhaps).

As @privatebydesign says, the 5DIV is a superb camera. I’m not sure about the value though, over here in the UK they haven’t depreciated at all on the new price and a good used one would be significantly more expensive than the same used RP. Also it is significantly larger and heavier.

IMHO the RP outperforms the 6DII.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
> Is it viable to keep using just EF on R body?
Yes. They work great. Just like they do on SLR cameras.

> Is constantly changing lenses on the adapter a pain?
No. Switching between EF lenses is just as easy as changing lenses on SLR cameras.
Some folks don't like keeping track of the adapter when an RF lens is added to the mix.

I have an R5 and am still using the EF lenses I have collected since I started with EOS in about 2000.
They work great, no reason to replace them. Well, I guess h+ shooting mode only gives 6 fps instead of 12 with some of them -- still as good as I get from my 5D-IV. Check out the VND filter adapter, very cool stuff.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I think I need some upgrade advice.

Things I would like, better high ISO!, and more DR. I never use the 7D over 3200

EF 24 2.8 IS
EF 70-300 L
10s (film camera)

Some questions:

$999 EOS RP may be what you are looking for.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hi,
Welcome!

EF 24 2.8 IS
EF 70-300 L
As a general rule, a similarly-spec’d FF kit will overall be both larger and heavier. Having said that, your particular kit includes only one crop format lens and it doesn’t benefit from the smaller image circle in terms of weight/size. The 24-105/4L is pretty equivalent in size, and paired with a FF sensor that lens is wider, longer, and ‘faster’ (either in terms of DoF for the same framing or in terms of image noise).

So, while you might not get a smaller/lighter kit (although that would be possible with RF), you also won’t need a larger/heavier kit to go FF.

Some questions:
It’s absolutely viable. If you have all EF lenses as you currently do, you just leave the adapter on the body and it’s no different from the way you currently change lenses.

You’re listed genres aren’t typically associated with fast-paced shooting and frequent lens changes. But when going from EF to RF, disconnect at the body and leave the adapter on the lens. The caps are different (annoyingly, RF rear caps only go on in one orientation, unlike EF that go on in three 120° apart), but fortunately RF rear caps fit on EF lenses and vice versa.

If the RP feels way too small, likely the controls won’t feel comfortable to use, and the grip won’t really help that.

Given that budget, I’d go with the 6DII and your current set of lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The R has the same image sensor as the 5d mark iv -- a camera I think takes excellent pictures. The R might even have better auto focus than the 5d mark iv.
Good point. The cost of an R or a 6DII kit with the 24-105/4L is around the cost of an R6 body.

OTOH, if the OP is open to purchasing used the 6DII would be most cost-effective.

Upvote 0
Over 3200 ISO there is zero visible difference to any Canon FF sensor made in the last ten years.

When normalized there is no practical difference between a 6D and an R5 or R6, or even an R3. Certainly more optimized software and post processing will have a bigger impact on your output.

There are many benefits for going to the R series cameras, principally AF, but the truth is 5D IV's are an amazing bargain and mean your current lens selection needs little tweaking.

View attachment 205231
@privatebydesign thank you for this info, very interesting, I've never heard of this site...

I've been using the digital pictures camera noise tests, and dpreviews studio scene to do visual comparisons of each model.

Seems Like I should be able to get at least a two stop improvement in high ISO by going full frame.

Upvote 0
I have the RP which I bought to try the mirrorless R camera, and if I liked it my intention was to sell it on and get something ‘better’. I like FF mirrorless for its small size; other than that if I’m going to carry a brick around I’m happy with my 5DS cameras.

So I like the RP and don’t see the point of changing it as it meets my criteria of a small, light FF camera. I don’t use any RF lenses apart from the RF 50/1.8 (which isn’t really a mirrorless lens design anyway but is compact on the camera), other than that I always have the adapter on and it’s no different to no adapter apart from the increased physical size from native. I also have the excellent 70-300 L and it works 100% on the RP, as do all my EF lenses.

The grip extension does make a big difference; I use it whenever not having small lenses on the camera and it makes for a very comfortable camera to hold.

One note of caution if looking at the RP (or R). It has a slow frame rate compared with your 7D. (Or indeed anything with the exception of a 1960s Spotmatic perhaps).

As @privatebydesign says, the 5DIV is a superb camera. I’m not sure about the value though, over here in the UK they haven’t depreciated at all on the new price and a good used one would be significantly more expensive than the same used RP. Also it is significantly larger and heavier.

IMHO the RP outperforms the 6DII.
@Sporgon thank you!, good info about the RP, I have read complaints about the slow frame rate, is it really that bad? does it slow down quickly? I'm mostly in single shot or low speed continuous, I don't think would need anything over 4 or 5 fps

Upvote 0
Welcome!

As a general rule, a similarly-spec’d FF kit will overall be both larger and heavier. Having said that, your particular kit includes only one crop format lens and it doesn’t benefit from the smaller image circle in terms of weight/size. The 24-105/4L is pretty equivalent in size, and paired with a FF sensor that lens is wider, longer, and ‘faster’ (either in terms of DoF for the same framing or in terms of image noise).

So, while you might not get a smaller/lighter kit (although that would be possible with RF), you also won’t need a larger/heavier kit to go FF.

It’s absolutely viable. If you have all EF lenses as you currently do, you just leave the adapter on the body and it’s no different from the way you currently change lenses.

You’re listed genres aren’t typically associated with fast-paced shooting and frequent lens changes. But when going from EF to RF, disconnect at the body and leave the adapter on the lens. The caps are different (annoyingly, RF rear caps only go on in one orientation, unlike EF that go on in three 120° apart), but fortunately RF rear caps fit on EF lenses and vice versa.

If the RP feels way too small, likely the controls won’t feel comfortable to use, and the grip won’t really help that.

Given that budget, I’d go with the 6DII and your current set of lenses.
@neuroanatomist thanks, didn't know about the lens cap quirks, the size and weight of the 17-55 is the reason I now have primes. Its a great lens but bulky. Most of the time it stays at home, and I just take the 24 and 50 primes.
great point about the controls of the RP.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
@neuroanatomist thanks, didn't know about the lens cap quirks, the size and weight of the 17-55 is the reason I now have primes. Its a great lens but bulky. Most of the time it stays at home, and I just take the 24 and 50 primes.
great point about the controls of the RP.
If you don't need to replace the 17-55 with a good FF standard zoom, you might consider the EOS R with the adapter. You could add the relatively inexpensive RF 16/2.8 and if you want to save size/weight in your kit, sell the EF 70-300L and replace it with the RF 100-400.

Upvote 0
I have a 6DII, and it is a great camera. However, all of the focus points are near the center of the frame, which can be a bit annoying (I'm constantly recomposing and when at wide apertures, there's always a chance of losing sharp focus). The 5DIV's autofocus points are better, but still limited compared to some of the mirrorless cameras (e.g., R5). I don't know about the R, but if it has focus points all over the frame, I would definitely consider it if I were you.

I understand your problem with hand fit--I never buy a camera without a battery grip.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
@Sporgon thank you!, good info about the RP, I have read complaints about the slow frame rate, is it really that bad? does it slow down quickly? I'm mostly in single shot or low speed continuous, I don't think would need anything over 4 or 5 fps
It is pretty slow by today’s standards. Around 5 fps in static AF and 3.5 - 4 in AF Servo. Buffers fine because it’s shooting slow ;)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]
[..]
For me, the EG-E1 made a huge difference on the RP. It made handling the EF100-400L and the RF100-500L a breeze. For the RF85L, when I rent one, it’s a necessity :)

For reference: I have average sized hands and fingers for my 6 feet of height.

Upvote 0
The R has the same image sensor as the 5d mark iv -- a camera I think takes excellent pictures. The R might even have better auto focus than the 5d mark iv.
Good point. The cost of an R or a 6DII kit with the 24-105/4L is around the cost of an R6 body.

OTOH, if the OP is open to purchasing used the 6DII would be most cost-effective.
@snapshot @neuroanatomist
I think I am going to rent an EOS R to try it out, how usable is the touch bar?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
@snapshot @neuroanatomist
I think I am going to rent an EOS R to try it out, how usable is the touch bar?
Honestly, I don't think I even used it. Laziness on my part, perhaps. I'm sure some people loved it, like the Touch Bar on some MacBook Pro models. But both Canon and Apple removed the feature, Canon after just the one camera.

Not relevant to the R, but the Smart Controller on the 1D X III and R3 is phenomenally useful, best method for AF point selection I've ever used. Hope that trickles down to other models in the future.

Upvote 0