CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>600D</strong>

Not unexpected, but a new Rebel will arrive in 2011.</p>
<p>I’m told it will be announced in the April timeframe.</p>
<p>There will be no Rebel XS successor. Expect the T2i to become the entry level Rebel.</p>
<p><strong>5D Mark III</strong>

Nothing of note. I do expect it to arrive in 2011Â in some form.</p>
<p><strong>7D Mark II</strong>

There won’t be a 7D replacement until at least 2012.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>1Ds Mark IV</strong>

Something is coming at the end of 2011, I’ve had a few more assurances that the camera will be a departure from the current 1Ds family.</p>
<p><strong>1D Mark V</strong>

Nothing I’m told about the Mark V I put much stock in. Full frame comes up as expected. This camera is probably still in very early testing and development.</p>
<p>The merging of the 1D/1Ds may occur in 2012. There are some signs to suggest the possibility, the biggest one being the departure the next 1Ds will take (maybe even the name of the camera).</p>
<p><strong>Mirrorless</strong>

Nothing of note has been mentioned lately.</p>
<p><strong>PowerShot</strong>

The usual upgrades can be expected to start in late January. I’ve received nothing out of the ordinary.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong>Megapixels</strong>

The megapixel war is not over, even if Canon is the only one fighting it. Expect large increases in the next 12 months.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

Jul 21, 2010
Canon Rumors said:
5D Mark III
Nothing of note. I do expect it to arrive in 2011 in some form.

I'm looking forward to ordering the 5DIII in 2011 - I'm sure I'll be able to order it along with the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS zoom lens, a herd of unicorns, a perpetual motion machine, and many other wonderful, mythical products...

CR1 indeed... :eek:

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
hpoul said:
i'm thinking about buying a 5dII - do you think i should wait for the 5d Mark III? (i wouldn't have a problem to wait 3 months.. but if it's going to be more like a year i would probably go with the mark II for now :) ) any thoughts?

No one knows. 3 months, 6 months, 2 years? Its all just guesses based on past new model introductions. My take is that the 5d MK II is selling very well, so Canon sees no need to introduce a replacement that would be just a minor upgrade, but cost more.

The rumors of any substantial changes are just the dreams, as are the comments about poor AF performance from those who don't use one.

I've had mine from the first batch that was shipped in late November 2008 and its been great.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
scalesusa said:
...as are the comments about poor AF performance from those who don't use one.

"Poor AF performance" is definitely not true...but I can say from experience that the 5DII's AF performance is not as good as the 7D, and the 5DII has trouble tracking moving subjects where the direction of movement is toward or away from the camera (although that's probably a combination of less effective AF and longer shutter lag).

For stationary subjects, the 5DII's center AF point is excellent. The off-center points, besides being insufficiently spread out, are single-orientation points that sometimes hunt for focus, in my experience.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
scalesusa said:
...as are the comments about poor AF performance from those who don't use one.

"Poor AF performance" is definitely not true...but I can say from experience that the 5DII's AF performance is not as good as the 7D, and the 5DII has trouble tracking moving subjects where the direction of movement is toward or away from the camera (although that's probably a combination of less effective AF and longer shutter lag).

For stationary subjects, the 5DII's center AF point is excellent. The off-center points, besides being insufficiently spread out, are single-orientation points that sometimes hunt for focus, in my experience.

Out of interest, do you find this holds true with slower lenses that don't activate the cross type sensors?

Upvote 0
A 600D next year would be quite unexpected actually. What are they going to improve there without stepping on the 60D toes ???

The 1DsIV rumor is very plausible. The new 50mp studio camera does not need to come in the familiar 1Ds form-factor.

An update of the 1DIV is very, very probable next year.
This is the camera that needs an update the most in the Canon lineup - despite that it's newer than the 1DsIII.
The 1DIV successor is blocking all other updates (5DIII, 7DII, etc.), so unless Canon is planning to not release any new cameras next year, the 1DIV will be the first one to be updated.

Upvote 0
So Canon will allow Nikon to completely dominate the entry level spot with the D3100 at 14MP (vs. 10 for the XS), 12800 ISO (vs. 1600 for the XS), and 1080p24 (vs. no video for the XS). I thought this is where the two companies made their big money (smaller margin, but much higher volume). Unless Canon replaces the XS with the T1i at a bigger discount ($50-100) when the 600D arrives and the T2i moves down.

Currently
Nikon D3100 @ $700 MSRP/$600 street >> Canon XS @ $550 MSRP/$500 street
and is still better than Canon T1i @ $750 MSRP/$600 street (except in both cases that the D3100 is AF-S lens only)

If the T1i dropped to $500 street, Canon would sell hundreds of thousands more than they already have.

If a 600D is released in early 2011 what will the specs be? Won't it out-spec the 7D (excluding AF, build quality, micro-adjust and a few other items) and 60D?

What would be nice is if Canon started transitioning (starting with the 600D) to pentaprisms in all EOS cameras :D They wouldn't need to change the coverage or magnification, but just change from mirrors to prisms to have a nice, bright view through the VF.

Upvote 0
KyleSTL said:
So Canon will allow Nikon to completely dominate the entry level spot with the D3100 .

The 550D is the #1 selling camera - and it's more expensive than the D3100.
So, the D3100 is not dominating anything.

If a 600D is released in early 2011 what will the specs be? Won't it out-spec the 7D (excluding AF, build quality, micro-adjust and a few other items) and 60D?

Completely agree with that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
traveller said:
neuroanatomist said:
\

Out of interest, do you find this holds true with slower lenses that don't activate the cross type sensors?

The cross-type sensors on the 7D (all 19 AF points) and the 5DII (just the center AF point) are all f/5.6-sensitive. I suspect you're thinking of the high-precision f/2.8-sensitive AF points. On the 5DII, that's the center one and the 'invisible' assist points above and below the center, and those are all f/2.8-sensitive single orientation sensors (i.e. for the center point, the horizontal f/2.8 sensor is 'superimposed' on the f/5.6 cross sensor). On the 7D, just the center AF point is high-precision f/2.8-sensitive, and that's a pair of diagonal lines (i.e. a 45° rotated f/2.8 sensor superimposed on the f/5.6 cross sensor).

But, to answer your question, I do see a difference between the center f/2.8 and peripheral AF points in cases where DoF is really thin and AF accuracy is most important, i.e. with the 85mm f/1.2L II shot wide open, or even with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II at the long end shot near the MFD.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
x-vision said:
A 600D next year would be quite unexpected actually.

There will be a new Rebel next year. Updates to entry level/consumer lines are nearly as certain as death and taxes. What was there, really, to update on the S90?

x-vision said:
What are they going to improve there without stepping on the 60D toes ???

How did they update the 50D without stepping on the 7D's toes? They took some things away, like AFMA.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
if canon can drop a 60D that doesn't step on the 7D's toes, I think it'll be pretty easy for them to think up a 600D that doesn't step on the 7D's toes ... or even the 60D's toes for that matter.

canon could very simply pop out a 600D that is feature-wise nearly identical to the 60D but minus the articulating screen and the prism viewfinder ... and that would basically justify the $100 that will separate the two bodies at retail.

piece of cake

Upvote 0
M

macfly

I know you guys will hate me saying this, but for the 7th job in a row I'm renting the Nikon D3s because it is just so much nicer on skin, especially at low light, than my old 1Ds Mklll. I also am blown away by how much crisper their 24-70 zoom is. I thought they'd never equal Canon again, but right now they really have stolen a march on Canon.

If Canon don't get their act together soon, and at least let us know when the 1Ds MklV is coming I'm jumping ship, and going back to Nikon altogether, (after exactly 20 years!) because a year of renting just isn't worth doing waiting and hoping Canon will introduce a camera that may never appear!

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
KyleSTL said:
So Canon will allow Nikon to completely dominate the entry level spot with the D3100 .

The 550D is the #1 selling camera - and it's more expensive than the D3100.
So, the D3100 is not dominating anything.

I agree that the T2i (550D) is a great camera and it sells extremely well, but if Canon could release a camera at the Rebel XS (1000D) pricepoint that isn't completely anemic and obsolete they would steal even more sales away from Nikon (mostly the D3100 and the remaining stock of D3000s). A 12MP XS-replacement with 720p and live view with 3200 ISO max would be a very compelling product, although that would mean it would have to share the Digic 4 processor of the 500D and 550D and not the Digic III of the 450D/1000D (making it more expensive to produce).

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
macfly said:
I know you guys will hate me saying this, but for the 7th job in a row I'm renting the Nikon D3s because it is just so much nicer on skin, especially at low light, than my old 1Ds Mklll. I also am blown away by how much crisper their 24-70 zoom is. I thought they'd never equal Canon again, but right now they really have stolen a march on Canon.

If Canon don't get their act together soon, and at least let us know when the 1Ds MklV is coming I'm jumping ship, and going back to Nikon altogether, (after exactly 20 years!) because a year of renting just isn't worth doing waiting and hoping Canon will introduce a camera that may never appear!

mac, I don't think anyone can fault you with wanting to go back to nikon, especially given that you're actually making a living off of your equipment. I'm intrigued that you see such a huge difference between the canon and nikon systems in how they render skin tone, but I've heard it from others ... guess something I'm not seeing in the files.

really great work! the shot of mila kunis you have on your page really is, as you said, stunning (although I know you were talking about the actress rather than the photo)

Upvote 0
S

Sinsear

neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
5D Mark III
Nothing of note. I do expect it to arrive in 2011 in some form.

I'm looking forward to ordering the 5DIII in 2011 - I'm sure I'll be able to order it along with the 24-70mm f/2.8L IS zoom lens, a herd of unicorns, a perpetual motion machine, and many other wonderful, mythical products...

CR1 indeed... :eek:
What's so incredible about a 5d3 in 2011? It would follow the previous lifespan cycle established by the 5d and 5d2. Unless you know something that I don't, I personally anticipate the 5d3 to come out in 2011 as well.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

It doesn't look like Canon is planning on introducing anything to compete with the Nikon D3s at low light levels. I just took some pictures of Yuletide reenactors at a local historical village/museum, in a room lit with 3 candles, that's it, 3 frigging candles. A typical exposure was 1/15 sec and f/1.4 at ISO3200. Image quality as good as the D3s at ISO51200 would get me to 1/60 sec and f/2.8 and allow me to use my 24-70 and 17-35 zoom lenses.

Is anybody at Canon listening?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.