Can I called myself photographer? plz, you need to help me..

M

M.R.Rafsanjani

Hi guys, I'm quite new here and really need your opinions here.

I know that the term 'photographer' might be sensitive, but for most people that doesn't involve in photography they didn't care as long you have the big chunky black camera you're a photographer. (I think you guys understand this)

(especially in my country/region/culture, the term photographer refer to the people that earns money through photography, otherwise you're just a cameraman or just having an expensive camera. The funny things is if you call yourself a photographer, some of the real photographer will pissed you off )

I just a hobbyist and I always deny some of other people that call me photographer. But the problem is how to describe yourself with your commitmenttowards photography to the other people. I called myself 'photohunter', but that term seems doesn't work and people don't understand. Can I just used 'hobbyist photographer' instead??

*In case you wanna know I've been a year involve in photography and videography, produced two videography, and get a certificate from Canon (Malaysia) for the workshop I'm attended.

**sorry for my broken English, I'm not a native speaker

I'm not sure everyone understands the "photographer" term, so it is unlikely there's a common meaning for other terms you've proposed.

From my point of view it doesn't matter how much time you're involved in photography to identify yourself as a photographer, the main thing to start with is to understand what photography means for you and outline borders you want to progress in. So you should begin from self-identification.

Don't forget that there's always someone who isn't happy / satisfied about something someone else does, but if you understand what niche you occupy and if you being always open to people that gives you the needed foundation for others to understand who you are and what you do.

Upvote 0
Personally I use the literal meaning of the word, "someone who takes photos". So I'd describe myself as an amateur photographer, and I'd refer to someone who earns their money mainly from photography as a professional photographer. If someone on the street says "are you a photographer?" my usual answer is "just an amateur".

As wockawocka said it's largely what you feel comfortable with. Just the same as there are plenty of bad doctors / accountants / teachers I've seen plenty of average 'professional' shots. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think many countries have actual laws against representing yourself as a photographer regardless of qualifications unlike some other fields where for good reason it is illegal. So really just a personal choice.

Upvote 0
I think photographer is fine and agree with the poster above, that when your quality and skills rise and perhaps you are making money, then "professional photographer" applies.

The only sort of hesitation I have with that, is I have been shooting models now for a while, is I also see "professional" as the way I conduct myself. Especially when shooting models/fashion, there are a lot of GWCs (Guys with Cameras) who are far from professional, even though for some, that is their "business"

Do you just shoot, or do you review your work and see what you can do better?
Do you study, read, solicit opinions?

Do you tag your photos with your name/watermark.

Photography, like anything other art form will always be a hierarchy of talent, skill and experience. As long as you are conscious at trying to improve in these areas, then you belong. There will always be someone better, but be hungry and enjoy when you get the shots you want

Upvote 0
japhoto said:
I'd say that you don't even have to put "amateur" or "hobbyist" in front.

In my mind almost everyone who takes photos is a photographer. If you make your living with photography, I'd probably say "professional photographer".

+1: Technically: Anyone who takes photos is a Photographer; but the generic = Professional Photographer, i.e. one who makes a living from it, or is good enough to charge people. So it is contexual.. and often needs qualifications depending on whom you speak to.

Upvote 0
M

M.R.Rafsanjani

Maui5150 said:

I shoot, and improve and learn to get it better. I just getting serious with my photoblog and of course I put watermark on every picture. I used DPP as well.

Here my photoblog http://musedmoments.blogspot.com/

and this is my photo portfolio http://musedmoments.snapixel.com/

Not too many photos as I still in progress uploading most of them.

Upvote 0
M.R.Rafsanjani said:
Maui5150 said:

I shoot, and improve and learn to get it better. I just getting serious with my photoblog and of course I put watermark on every picture. I used DPP as well.

Here my photoblog http://musedmoments.blogspot.com/

and this is my photo portfolio http://musedmoments.snapixel.com/

Not too many photos as I still in progress uploading most of them.

I was being rhetorical.

In short if you are passionate and are working at getting better, you are a photographer. If you just shoot, then you take pictures.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
I have easy $10k in photo gear and I don't call myself a Photographer.

I didn't lay a hand on a DSLR until March 2010 (T2i), had no idea what aperture, ISO, etc. was. All I knew was that I loved the way the video looked and that if I wanted to shoot it properly I had to learn about it. But even after a year and a half, 25,000 pictures, countless hours shooting video, I still wouldn't call myself a photographer. I've always been a video freak, just because I can use a camera and compose properly doesn't mean I'm a photographer, I think that's an insult to the people that have spent their lives doing it.

Everyone has seen it...you're on Facebook, suddenly you see "so and so Photography" pop up, and you have never seen "so and so" shooting or mentioning photography EVER. Then they offer $20 portraits and devalue the craft, I would be pissed if I were a photographer.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Anyone with a camera is a photographer. A professional photographer makes a living taking photos.

That's the bottom line for me.

I was a photographer when I was six years old and my Godmother gave me a little box camera. The teen taking a snap of his friends on a cell phone today is a photographer. Anyone who uses photo tools to create an image is a photographer by definition.

Yet, in this country, for some reason the term "photographer" seems to carry a suggestion of professional, full-time photographer. I guess for that reason, I always tell people, "I'm just a guy taking pictures."

I tend to get asked a lot since I do a lot of candid portraits and seem to go places where I get challenged (happens much more here in the paranoid east than it did in the west). For that reason I created a business card (that I call a "Who the hell are you card?" because that's what most people are really thinking when they ask) that identifies me and directs them to my photo Web site. I tell them I no longer sell pictures and that the pictures can't be copied -- and if they want a picture I took that involves them or their property I'm happy to give it to them. That card seems to provide them the security they need.

I guess if the OP is really sensitive about it in his country, he could respond to the photographer question by simply saying, "Do you want to buy a picture?" If they say yes, I guess he's now a professional photographer. If they don't, their question is really irrelevant.

Upvote 0
M.R.Rafsanjani said:
Hi guys, I'm quite new here and really need your opinions here.

I know that the term 'photographer' might be sensitive, but for most people that doesn't involve in photography they didn't care as long you have the big chunky black camera you're a photographer. (I think you guys understand this)

(especially in my country/region/culture, the term photographer refer to the people that earns money through photography, otherwise you're just a cameraman or just having an expensive camera. The funny things is if you call yourself a photographer, some of the real photographer will pissed you off )

I just a hobbyist and I always deny some of other people that call me photographer. But the problem is how to describe yourself with your commitmenttowards photography to the other people. I called myself 'photohunter', but that term seems doesn't work and people don't understand. Can I just used 'hobbyist photographer' instead??

*In case you wanna know I've been a year involve in photography and videography, produced two videography, and get a certificate from Canon (Malaysia) for the workshop I'm attended.

**sorry for my broken English, I'm not a native speaker

This may be a cultural difference but I'd have no problems calling myself (or you) a photographer. I also call myself a father and a husband and a guitar player and a politician without having any official certification or making money with either of those descriptors. Hey, I even call myself a Project Manager at work and they pay me for that. Go figure.

Seriously, I am a strong believer in the concept of the "Renaissance Man" or "Polymath" and the right if not obligation of a man to constantly reinvent himself in different areas. And that can be professionally (e.g paid for work) or otherwise. Just because I try to get as best as I can at something (photography, music, charity work, public service, whatever) without doing it "for a living" doesn't mean that what I do is any less serious than the stuff I do for money. Actually, I even enjoy the freedom of not having to make money by playing/shooting weddings and such. To each their own.

I fully understand that in some cultures this concept doesn't fly that easily. My European relatives to this day ask me what this silly "MBA" stuff is and if I'll ever have a real "profession" one day - and a secure position for life...

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
While I can see both sides of the issue, I am hard pressed to call my 4 year old a photographer even though he has a camera and takes pictures. If you google the definition of photographer, most of the hits at least mention "professional" or "as a business."

Take some other examples, many people own guitars but would not be considered guitarists or own bikes but are not considered cyclists. I own an oven but I'm pretty sure I'm not a chef! As Axilrod says, if everyone who owns a camera (which is most people) is a photographer, it devalues the term.

However I also do not think that you need to be a professional to use the term. IMHO, anyone who pursues the craft of taking pictures is probably a photographer, but even a few of those devalue the term. :eek:

Upvote 0
There's the separation of terms Photographer and Professional Photographer... While most anyone with a camera and an understanding how to use it and to do so in a way to create images is/could be considered a Photographer, but most Professional Photographers do so for the sake of compensation whether it be money/barter/accolades, etc... The problem is most people blur the lines which is why most photographers will admit their greatest competition is amateur photographers... Professional photographers try to set their quality and price bracket at the next tier above but then again when a couple to get some joe blow off the street, pay him $100-150 to shoot an hour or two of their wedding and provide a CD of the images, hell yeah, that would be an easier sell than a pro to shoot it for $1500-3000 and get an album and handful of pictures... As for the OP, sure, call yourself a photographer but make sure if there is any confusion that you are not professional, unless you get to the point where you wish to become professional and developed a portfolio.

Upvote 0

thepancakeman

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
Aug 18, 2011
Minnesota
bycostello said:
who cares what others call you or what annoys them.. do what pleases you.. live your life for yourself and not for the gratification of others...

-1. I have no idea what the cultural implications of this are in Malaysia, but simply telling someone to do whatever they want without a broader context is selfish and short-sighted.

Upvote 0
thepancakeman said:
bycostello said:
who cares what others call you or what annoys them.. do what pleases you.. live your life for yourself and not for the gratification of others...

-1. I have no idea what the cultural implications of this are in Malaysia, but simply telling someone to do whatever they want without a broader context is selfish and short-sighted.

+1: I was thinking the same... there's a reason why the OP posted the question, he is looking for rationale or a justification of sorts. It's important for him...

Upvote 0
A

archangelrichard

I think there may be a language issue here: In English you modify "photographer" with "professional, amateur, etc." but in other languages "photographer" may mean professional photographer (person making a living through their photography) and that person simply has money, time on their hands, not necessarily better skills or understanding

That said, in English, if you take pictures you are a photographer, even with a point-and-shoot

I can't answer for your language

Upvote 0