Canon’s accessory shoe coming to the EOS R5c and could be an upgrade option for the EOS R5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has introduced what it calls an “accessory shoe” for the Canon EOS R3 and the recently announced Canon XF605 professional camcorder.
Yesterday, TEAC announced their first third-party accessory for the new accessory shoe which will add XLR microphone capabilities to the EOS R3 and XF605, but this is just the beginning of what we’ll see for the accessory shoe in the coming months and years.
I have been told that the Canon EOS R5c will also receive this accessory shoe, which makes a lot of sense.
I have also been told that Canon may offer the accessory shoe as a...

Continue reading...

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
I think giving the R5 a paid upgrade to the accessory shoe, if priced reasonable, is pretty awesome. The R5 keeps getting better. When I do make the switch, it'll be a tough choice between the R5 (if this upgrade is possible) and the R3. I do enough video that finding an easier upgrade path will push me over.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
Sounds highly unlikely to me. it doesn't sound like the sort of upgrade that could be made into existing cameras unless (and this is unlikely) the R5 was always designed to take this accessory shoe and they just decided to launch the camera without it.
It's probably an entire hot shoe assembly that connects to some internal usb connector with a little firmware magic to make it work.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No way on earth is that going to be retrofit option for the current R5. What ‘features’ would they have for the R5C and R5II?

But on a practical level you are going to have to replace the hotshoe, the top plate and a load of electronics inside to accommodate an ‘upgrade’ so there is absolutely no way that is going to happen.

Don’t forget the announced TEAC accessory can be mounted and used on an R5 already, just via batteries and a cable.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
No way on earth is that going to be retrofit option for the current R5. What ‘features’ would they have for the R5C and R5II?

But on a practical level you are going to have to replace the hotshoe, the top plate and a load of electronics inside to accommodate an ‘upgrade’ so there is absolutely no way that is going to happen.

Don’t forget the announced TEAC accessory can be mounted and used on an R5 already, just via batteries and a cable.
I'm pretty sure the main selling point for the R5c will be an active cooling solution for unlimited recording along with better i/o like full size hdmi and time code.

As for retrofitting it to the R5, I don't think we can really say got hard it would be without in depth knowledge on how it interfaces with the main board. It's possible the hot shoe interface was in development at the same time as the R5 but wasn't ready.
And yes you can connect the tascam to the internal analog audio port but it kinda defeats the purpose of a high end preamp if you connect it to the cameras in built one anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AustrianGeek

EOS RP
Mar 21, 2021
The R5 with new accessory shoe upgrade = One of the main new features of the upcoming R5c (IF its coming). So why should they offer an upgrade for existing R5 models (if they could sell the R3 and R5c instead). Makes no sense. I just hope, that the R5c is real and its coming this year. Beside: Sure - They could release an R5 Mk-II or R5a for "advanced" (with nearly identical / just slightly different features + the new hot-shoe + slightly better cooling. But with up to 30min limited video shooting, no active cooling for more stable recording, no full size HDMI out and without other features included in the possible R5c). Could be an upgrade like the new screen Sony put in the A7r IVa model (compared to the older / original A7r IV). But there will be definitely no R5 upgrade option (where you can send in your R5 for a flash shoe upgrade) ...

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Sounds highly unlikely to me. it doesn't sound like the sort of upgrade that could be made into existing cameras unless (and this is unlikely) the R5 was always designed to take this accessory shoe and they just decided to launch the camera without it.
It would be an upgrade that Canon would have to install for you.
If the R5c is a modified R5 then Canon could definitely do it.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It would be an upgrade that Canon would have to install for you.
If the R5c is a modified R5 then Canon could definitely do it.
Care to make a guess at the cost Canon would charge for this service?

Also, I'm left wondering just how many R5 purchasers take video seriously enough to be interested in the "TASCAM CA-XLR2d professional XLR microphone adapter for mirrorless cameras".

My impression, which may of course be inaccurate, is that 99.9% of R5 users primarily shoot stills, and that the overheating issues had largely deterred *serious* videographers from buying the R5.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Care to make a guess at the cost Canon would charge for this service?

Also, I'm left wondering just how many R5 purchasers take video seriously enough to be interested in the "TASCAM CA-XLR2d professional XLR microphone adapter for mirrorless cameras".

My impression, which may of course be inaccurate, is that 99.9% of R5 users primarily shoot stills, and that the overheating issues had largely deterred *serious* videographers from buying the R5.
I am a hybrid shooter but I have no interest.
That does not mean that Canon should not offer the service.
If they have the parts and the people to install them then they really would not have much to lose.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
I'm pretty sure the main selling point for the R5c will be an active cooling solution for unlimited recording along with better i/o like full size hdmi and time code.
So it will be an USB fan for the R5? ;-)

There are several USB-C fans for a phone for about 2€, but with an red ring Canon easily call 120€ i think.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I am a hybrid shooter but I have no interest.
That does not mean that Canon should not offer the service.
If they have the parts and the people to install them then they really would not have much to lose.
Indeed, Canon have nothing to lose, and I've no argument with Canon providing the service.

It would sure be interesting to know how many R5 owners shoot video on a level serious enough that they would be willing to pay for the upgrade.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0