Canon’s accessory shoe coming to the EOS R5c and could be an upgrade option for the EOS R5

The M5 came with a hotshoe cover but didn’t require it. Which rather disproves your thinking.
M series is consumer stuff, mostly non weather sealed. Not sure whether it can be used in extreme wet condition? Cameras like 7D, 5D series are weather sealed and I don’t have any issues using this in outdoor plus wet condition. these cameras doesn’t require hot shoe covers. The R3 should be similar or better than these cameras in terms of ruggedness i.e mainly weather sealing. But if the hot shoe requires cover to meet the requirement is a little concerning. It’ll be a single point failure if the user forgot to insert the cover prior use in wet conditions. It’s now in similar state as Sony high end stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
M series is consumer stuff, mostly non weather sealed. Cameras like 7D, 5D series are weather sealed and I don’t have any issues using this in outdoor plus wet condition. these cameras doesn’t require hot shoe covers. The R3 should be similar or better than these cameras in terms of ruggedness i.e mainly weather sealing. But if the hot shoe requires cover to meet the requirement is a little concerning. It’ll be a single point failure if the user forgot to insert the cover prior use in wet conditions. It’s now in similar state as Sony high end stuff.
You are talking rubbish. How do you know the R3 ‘requires’ a hotshoe cover? You are saying because it comes with one it needs one to be weather resistant and that is a big stretch. If it does need one then I am sure it will have a positive connection, but personally I doubt it will need one as current Speedlites and their rubber foot moldings wouldn’t seal the newer connection type anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I highly doubt that it'll be $5900. C70 has a $5500 price tag already. Unless you have some sort of a mole in Canon's operations
It is not 8K, not FF, and not capable of taking stills, completely different.

The R5 C will have Canon Log 2, XF-AVC codecs with 4-channel audio support, maybe 5k60p internal RAW options enabled as well, the upgraded hot shoe, etc. it fits in better in the C ecosystem, most of which are way more expensive cameras. There is plenty more they can enable to differentiate it from the R5, not just the simple case of adding a fan to eliminate overheating and the pricing will reflect that.

Still looks like a bit of a bargain, if we look back at the 1DC that wasn't nearly as much different to the 1DX for way, way more money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]The R5 C will have Canon Log 2, XF-AVC codecs with 4-channel audio support, maybe 4k60p internal RAW options enabled as well[..]
Anything other than 1:1 pixel to output mapping cannot be RAW, per definition. It might be "ProRes RAW", which isn't RAW, despite the name.
On the stills side, Canons mRAW and sRAW were downscaled, debayered TIFFs, not actual RAW.

So if you get 4k60 proper RAW, it will be a crop.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Anything other than 1:1 pixel to output mapping cannot be RAW, per definition. It might be "ProRes RAW", which isn't RAW, despite the name.
On the stills side, Canons mRAW and sRAW were downscaled, debayered TIFFs, not actual RAW.

So if you get 4k60 proper RAW, it will be a crop.
Yes of course, it would be 5K cropped, I've corrected that.
Since it can output that via micro-HDMI to the Ninja V+ it seems pretty clear that it is able to record internally as well.
(And the R5 C will have full-sized HDMI, yet another differentiator.)

Upvote 0
This likely means no XLR input on the R5c. Probably no nd filter either. Leaving the 6kpro with no competition. The C70 is too big for run and gun.

Nope. Canon's missing out on wedding video makers here.

lol what?

The C70 is a great size for run and gun, in terms of width it's narrower than the 6K Pro.

The 6K Pro has some major flaws for event and wedding videographers. The battery life is terrible, so you have to use a V-Lock or external battery pack. It has no autofocus. Ther erganomics suck. You have to use an external SSD for footage capture (and while doing so you have no backup or proxy). All that adds to a clunky mess of a camera that's awful to use.

The C70 is a PERFECT wedding/event camera. Small, lightweight, simple to use, no faff. You just shove in a battery and SD card and you're good to go. Doesn't overheat like the R5, has internal ND, Mini XLR, dual-slot with a proxy on 1 card, good in low light, decent 120fps slow motion, and much more. You can run the camera on one BP-60 battery all day and never need to worry about changing it. It's got everything right there in a small package.

I run a professional event/wedding photography and videography company and we would never, ever use a Blackmagic 6K pro to shoot any event, let alone a wedding. But we've just bought a C70 and all my camera operators use the C70. I used it last night for a 14 hour event and the thing was epic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
lol what?

The C70 is a great size for run and gun, in terms of width it's narrower than the 6K Pro.

The 6K Pro has some major flaws for event and wedding videographers. The battery life is terrible, so you have to use a V-Lock or external battery pack. It has no autofocus. Ther erganomics suck. You have to use an external SSD for footage capture (and while doing so you have no backup or proxy). All that adds to a clunky mess of a camera that's awful to use.

The C70 is a PERFECT wedding/event camera. Small, lightweight, simple to use, no faff. You just shove in a battery and SD card and you're good to go. Doesn't overheat like the R5, has internal ND, Mini XLR, dual-slot with a proxy on 1 card, good in low light, decent 120fps slow motion, and much more. You can run the camera on one BP-60 battery all day and never need to worry about changing it. It's got everything right there in a small package.

I run a professional event/wedding photography and videography company and we would never, ever use a Blackmagic 6K pro to shoot any event, let alone a wedding. But we've just bought a C70 and all my camera operators use the C70. I used it last night for a 14 hour event and the thing was epic.
Your "professional" company could have bought several Red cameras too you know.
How many (Canon) users have bought the 6kpro instead of C70? No adapter needed.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes of course, it would be 5K cropped, I've corrected that.
Since it can output that via micro-HDMI to the Ninja V+ it seems pretty clear that it is able to record internally as well.
(And the R5 C will have full-sized HDMI, yet another differentiator.)
Agreed, I don't know why it's currently missing.

Upvote 0
It is not 8K, not FF, and not capable of taking stills, completely different.

The R5 C will have Canon Log 2, XF-AVC codecs with 4-channel audio support, maybe 5k60p internal RAW options enabled as well, the upgraded hot shoe, etc. it fits in better in the C ecosystem, most of which are way more expensive cameras. There is plenty more they can enable to differentiate it from the R5, not just the simple case of adding a fan to eliminate overheating and the pricing will reflect that.

Still looks like a bit of a bargain, if we look back at the 1DC that wasn't nearly as much different to the 1DX for way, way more money.
So you do have inside information lol. I'm willing to bet you $20 it will not be a $6000 camera. Let's wait and see

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
No way on earth is that going to be retrofit option for the current R5. What ‘features’ would they have for the R5C and R5II?

But on a practical level you are going to have to replace the hotshoe, the top plate and a load of electronics inside to accommodate an ‘upgrade’ so there is absolutely no way that is going to happen.

Don’t forget the announced TEAC accessory can be mounted and used on an R5 already, just via batteries and a cable.
There is no load of electronics needed to be replaced. Hot shoe mods have been done for decades. You are merely speculating with no knowledge of the internals that already exist. Same bru ha ha that many claimed about the HDMI port not suporting 8k RAW a month ago and find themselves silent after the latest update. Firmware programing to enable outputs of multiplexers need not require any new hardware. Just simple firmware programing from a competent engineer. Just like any other mod that adds functions via other ports. Its firmware. Not hardware. All ports including the hot shoe feed multiplexers that are firmware controlled and enabled.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
There is no load of electronics needed to be replaced. Hot shoe mods have been done for decades. You are merely speculating with no knowledge of the internals that already exist. Same bru ha ha that many claimed about the HDMI port not suporting 8k RAW a month ago and find themselves silent after the latest update. Firmware programing to enable outputs of multiplexers need not require any new hardware. Just simple firmware programing from a competent engineer. Just like any other mod that adds functions via other ports. Its firmware. Not hardware. All ports including the hot shoe feed multiplexers that are firmware controlled and enabled.
I wasn’t silent about the 8k, I said Canon themselves said 8k via the R5 HDMI port was not possible. They then said it would be, all I did was repeat what they said. Technically the HDMI port was always capable of 8k, they just chose to not allow it and then allow it. I said that both before and after the firmware.

But to suggest they already have an internal port within the R5 for a completely new style of external data port to be connected and that they are going to supply and fit the hardware as an option is pure fantastical.

Take a look here https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/09/taking-apart-the-canon-r5-mirrorless-camera/ and point us to the unused new data port.

Then explain to me why they would do that? Surely from Canon’s point of view it makes a lot more sense to keep selling as many current R5 bodies as they can make and keep the new video centric port for the R5C and the R5 II.

Upvote 0
I wasn’t silent about the 8k, I said Canon themselves said 8k via the R5 HDMI port was not possible. They then said it would be, all I did was repeat what they said. Technically the HDMI port was always capable of 8k, they just chose to not allow it and then allow it. I said that both before and after the firmware.

But to suggest they already have an internal port within the R5 for a completely new style of external data port to be connected and that they are going to supply and fit the hardware as an option is pure fantastical.

Take a look here https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2020/09/taking-apart-the-canon-r5-mirrorless-camera/ and point us to the unused new data port.

Then explain to me why they would do that? Surely from Canon’s point of view it makes a lot more sense to keep selling as many current R5 bodies as they can make and keep the new video centric port for the R5C and the R5 II.
I believe that 8k/30 raw 12 bit would need HDMI 2.1 port but the R5 only has HDMI 2.0 port. 8k/30 raw 10 bit seems to be okay with the Ninja V+
The only way to get 12 bit would be internal recording. From a stills perspective, I would only be looking at using 8K30 raw for frame grabs so internal is best for me.

Upvote 0
Your "professional" company could have bought several Red cameras too you know.
How many (Canon) users have bought the 6kpro instead of C70? No adapter needed.

Yes I do know that. But the Red Komodo doesn't have any XLR inputs, just one 3.5mm jack. Loads of people say it's pretty poor in low light - as soon as you get to high ISOs the image quality reduces significantly. When using the C70, although there is noise at higher ISOs, the sharpness is still excellent, you don't get that awful mushy quality you get with a lot of other cameras. Also the autofocus on the Komodo is also questionable. The Red Komodo also maxes out at 2k 120fps, while the C70 can do 4K/UHD 120fps. The Red isn't a concise, small, all-in-one package like the C70 is, and that's what you need for fast-paced events and weddings.

I don't need any adapters either, I already have RF lenses as use the R6 for stills, so it's a seamless transition for me. And RF lenses are absolutely incredible, espeically the 50mm f/1.2. I don't know a single Canon user who has switched to the 6K Pro, or even considering it, and I know dozens of professional camera operators as they work for me. They are looking to upgrade within the Canon ecosystem. Most of them shoot on the C300 Mark II, so are looking at the C300 Mark III, C70 or the C90 when it's released.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Is the R5c still a thing. I haven't heard any news on it in awhile. I was really hoping it would be out by now.
Nokishita is usually 2 weeks ahead of the proper announcement, which is 4-6 months ahead of the handful of units that get shipped to stores. Unless Canon has become much more customer friendly, I predict the earliest you can have your hands on an R5c is in 2022.
I hope Canon will push their future announcements out to just before things actually ship, that would make purchasing decisions a lot easier.

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2021
It's probably an entire hot shoe assembly that connects to some internal usb connector with a little firmware magic to make it work.
If a paid modification is proposed for the R5, that could mean 2 possibilities :
- the original R5 already has the internal connectivity for this hot shoe and ... it would be very annoying to know that ! But it's a low cost modification.
- Canon will change the whole main board to allow the compatibility with the new hot shoe... (and maybe will implement an efficient heat sink !!!) . Expensive modification.

I think this would be quite strange to propose a paid modification on R5 while they will begin to sell an "R5c"... But maybe the R5c won't go beyond the rumor status !!

In addition, the R5 is already very expensive ! Spending more $ to gain what should have been implemented before, don't sure it worth the deal...
Canon already propose paid modifications on EOS C cameras. So everything is possible !

Upvote 0