Canon’s image.canon cloud service is now live

That's strictly dependent on your internet contract and which part of the world you're operating in. Here I can get a consumer or business mobile unlimited data plan for €40/month. A lot depends on how you shoot. It's clear shooting at 10fps continuously requires a different bandwidth that taking a shot every few minutes.

Bandwidth is not the same as data limits. And every unlimited plan in the world actually reserves the right to throttle your speeds if they deem your usage excessive. But yes, if you're only shooting a few images per hour, then this could be useful, agreed.

Upvote 0
Ah, then if the phone is in your pocket what really needs to happen is not a WiFi connection but Bluetooth, which is fast enough for file transfer yet much lower power. Pretty sure the current model cameras all have BT. Unfortunately they seem to only use it to initiate WiFi or only be a remote trigger. Not data transfer. Hmm.

Yes, the R does currently use Bluetooth, but the usability problem unfortunately remains. :/

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I already have my R setup to transfer to my PC. I think that the cloud would let you upload from any wi-fi network in the world, so it would be possible to upload a limited number of images in raw format, limited due to the time it takes, or a larger number of jpeg images within the same time.

If the new EOS-R5 has 5GHZ capability, I wonder if we will get fast transfer speeds. That is needed if its going to be practical for large numbers of images.

I decided to give it a try. I just tapped the cloud button in the communications menu of my R and followed the very simple setup. It took about a minute to start uploading to the cloud. Then, I installed the downloader for my pc.

So now, I have the Canon image Transfer utility 2 which uploads new images to my pc, and the canon image app that downloads cloud images to my pc.

I also noted that everything had migrated from the old Canon image gateway including cameras registered. I need to remove my old cameras.

I don't really plan to use the feature, but its nice to know it works fairly well.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
actually reserves the right to throttle your speeds

But that doesn't happen blindly. While they could throttle torrent users transferring what are often illegal contents, they may not want to throttle other services to/from some big companies and get them angry. With cloud services more and more used, can you throttle users blindly while uploading data to AWS or Azure services? There's Canon at the other side here, and AFAIK the service runs on AWS. Unless your ISP is really ugly, I believe you can easily upload more than a few images per hour.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I just get "cannot connect to server" when I try the EOS utility to set the web service on the camera. Has anyone got that part working? What might I be doing wrong or is this just the worst rollout ever?

I came here to ask the exact same question. I tried several times on a Mac and a PC - always with the same result.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I came here to ask the exact same question. I tried several times on a Mac and a PC - always with the same result.
are you using canon Utilities Downloader for image.canon ver 1.0.0.0 ?

I first went to my R and in the wireless communication / wi-fi function clicked on the cloud, and it guided me thru the setup. I never needed to refer to a manual, it was quick and easy. I may try it with my 5D MK IV to see how that works.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

I first went to my R and in the wireless communication / wi-fi function clicked on the cloud, and it guided me thru the setup. I never needed to refer to a manual, it was quick and easy. I may try it with my 5D MK IV to see how that works.
So, I pulled out my 5D MK IV and the options are totally different and not obvious at all. It was pretty frustrating and since I did not plan on using the service, I decided to let it sit for now. With the EOS R, it was easy and obvious.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017

No, I'm using "EOS Utility" as according to Canon's instructions.
As an experiment I typed in nonsense for username and password and it said the same 'cannot connect to server'. I wonder if the 'create an account by linking to google' is the part that didn't work.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
No, I'm using "EOS Utility" as according to Canon's instructions.
As an experiment I typed in nonsense for username and password and it said the same 'cannot connect to server'. I wonder if the 'create an account by linking to google' is the part that didn't work.
I think the link in Canon utilities has a problem passing the password. The R does not need Canon Utilities, but the 5D MK IV does. I'd give it a couple of days, and it will be fixed.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
Oh this just takes the prize doesn't it; finally it starts working. Then the Android app wants permission to read the phone's storage and pictures. Ok, that sounds reasonable for a photo app. Then it wants permission to scape my contact list. Umm, no. So it quits out and won't run. The price of using this "free" service is data mining my contact list. No thanks. What a waste of my time to set it up!!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Oh this just takes the prize doesn't it; finally it starts working. Then the Android app wants permission to read the phone's storage and pictures. Ok, that sounds reasonable for a photo app. Then it wants permission to scape my contact list. Umm, no. So it quits out and won't run. The price of using this "free" service is data mining my contact list. No thanks. What a waste of my time to set it up!!

The native photo gallery on my android did this quite some time ago; after an upgrade it wouldn't work without my contacts list. I disabled it and downloaded something else.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Works fine as others noted today. The EOS Utility basically updated the 5D MK IV to the same functionality as my EOS R. I did not need to go thru a login function, just select the image for upload and it did. Then, about 2 minutes later, they automatically downloaded to my pc using the canon downloader for image.canon. I wonder if it will work for remote hot spots like at Starbucks.

I left my 5D MK IV on last night like I always do, and the battery had ran completely down because wi-fi was turned on. My R battery was still charged at 96%, so wi-fi is shutting off when the camera turns off. I'm thinking the EOS R5 may be my next purchase, and the 5D IV will go. Its a great camera, but my mirrorless gets all the usage. I will only buy the R5 if it includes the focus bracketing of the RP.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I installed the app, it does ask for contact list, you must approve it. The app includes a send to email which needs the contact list.

It will only upload images to the cloud taken by a Canon Camera, so it does not work with images taken by the phone camera. That makes Lightroom much more useful since it handles virtually all images.

One good thing, I was able to use it to delete all the test images sent to the cloud.

I don't see any use for it on my phone, I have to fool with camera connect then transfer images to the phone and upload them, or use the camera with a hot spot to upload images to the canon cloud and then download them to my phone.

Right now, I use photosync to automatically transfer images from my phone to my pc via wi-fi. As soon as I load camera images from my Canon or any other camera to my phone, it downloads them over Wi-Fi to my pc. If I want them in the cloud, I can use the free lightroom app. I've done that while traveling.

So, I really don't find either app that useful since they are limited to just specific canon cameras.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
I installed the app, it does ask for contact list, you must approve it. The app includes a send to email which needs the contact list.
If it were well written it would say 'sorry, can't email the picture until you grant permission to contacts' instead of just shutting down and doing nothing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0