Canon’s roadmap for 2019, included an EOS R camera that no one is expecting? [CR2]

A head scratcher coming shortly? A camera which no-one expects? Where's HarryFilm? - I would have expected some ideas by the 4th page of comments!

---

It's an APS-C sensor with 24 megapixels stills R-style mount in an XC-15 Style body (i.e. a nice side-grip!) with 120 fps 1080p video, 60 fps DCI 4K video with Interframe 10-bit 4:2:2 compression. I've heard on the grapevine the colour science has been improved immensely due to MUCH BETTER noise filters and HAS BOTH the DCT-based JPEG AND JPEG-2000 wavelet-based compressed still files at up-to-full 4:4:4 colour sampling. It will the FIRST of many cameras in this new-format side-grip-style, combined video/stills bodies.

This is understood to be within certain engineering circles the FIRST Canon camera that will be ALLOWED by Canon Management to cannibalize the camcorder line AND their 6D/7D lines. It is said that executives are currently deciding HOW to fold multiple lines together on the midrange and simply push out ALL cameras to being part of either a low-end consumer line or a premium high-end flagship model lineup.

ALL cameras be reduced in terms of the number of available models. The R mount style is to be used on ALL APS-C and FF models from here on in! And right now the rumour mill has it that the 6D/7D line is GONE !!! Kaput! Sayonara! Auf Weidersein! Bye Bye! The M-series and Powershot series ARE BEING LOOKED AT to being merged into a single set of five camera models! The 5D and 1D series will be kept as-is with only a mount change sometime in the future. I should also note that the TRUE head scratcher model is rumoured to be an IP-68 RUGGEDIZED 60 fps 4K video Action Cam larger than a Gopro Hero-7 and WITHOUT the fish-eye look but rather just a wide angle setting at possibly 24mm! It possibly has a 2/3rds inch sensor in it.

That's my info from my Euro sources ... I'm betting the XC-15 style won't be announced until CES-2020 in January and only out for sale AFTER NAB-2020 in April !!!

---

P.S. You should see my 50.3 megapixel TRUE MF-sized sensor combined stills/video camera I'm using right now!

Wait until you what is coming out in terms of NEW and AWESOME camera technology coming out soon enough!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
---

It's an APS-C sensor with 24 megapixels stills R-style mount in an XC-15 Style body (i.e. a nice side-grip!) with 120 fps 1080p video, 60 fps DCI 4K video with Interframe 10-bit 4:2:2 compression. I've heard on the grapevine the colour science has been improved immensely due to MUCH BETTER noise filters and HAS BOTH the DCT-based JPEG AND JPEG-2000 wavelet-based compressed still files at up-to-full 4:4:4 colour sampling. It will the FIRST of many cameras in this new-format side-grip-style, combined video/stills bodies.

This is understood to be within certain engineering circles the FIRST Canon camera that will be ALLOWED by Canon Management to cannibalize the camcorder line AND their 6D/7D lines. It is said that executives are currently deciding HOW to fold multiple lines together on the midrange and simply push out ALL cameras to being part of either a low-end consumer line or a premium high-end flagship model lineup.

ALL cameras be reduced in terms of the number of available models. The R mount style is to be used on ALL APS-C and FF models from here on in! And right now the rumour mill has it that the 6D/7D line is GONE !!! Kaput! Sayonara! Auf Weidersein! Bye Bye! The M-series and Powershot series ARE BEING LOOKED AT to being merged into a single set of five camera models! The 5D and 1D series will be kept as-is with only a mount change sometime in the future. I should also note that the TRUE head scratcher model is rumoured to be an IP-68 RUGGEDIZED 60 fps 4K video Action Cam larger than a Gopro Hero-7 and WITHOUT the fish-eye look but rather just a wide angle setting at possibly 24mm! It possibly has a 2/3rds inch sensor in it.

That's my info from my Euro sources ... I'm betting the XC-15 style won't be announced until CES-2020 in January and only out for sale AFTER NAB-2020 in April !!!

---

P.S. You should see my 50.3 megapixel TRUE MF-sized sensor combined stills/video camera I'm using right now!

Wait until you what is coming out in terms of NEW and AWESOME camera technology coming out soon enough!

Let me translate that for you based upon your track record...

White Hello Kitty (available in Japan only)

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
An Astronomy variant? They've had a couple of those, it's been a while.
Yep, that's my guess... continuing on from the 60Da and the 20Da where the IR cut filter is modified to allow Ha light. 60Da allowed about 3x the Ha light through compared to 60D. Also fits with the initial guesses of an IR version. Minimal cost and hits a niche that hasn't been addressed for a long time (since 2015)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I bet on a new line of mirrorless cameras, the video Line...Although it´s not the Canon´s normal behaviour, but I assume they have changed something int their thoughts about "new markets" aka mirrorless. So...I guess they could want to get in the war of the mirrorless cameras pointed to video to rivalize with A7s line from Sony, Panasonic, etc...

On other hand, i trully believe that the new R line would be arriving at the end of the year and it would be a high megapixel camera. Let´s wait more 4 or 5 months to see! :)

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Of all the products that Canon could put out, the 3 mentioned in this (CR2) rumour are the ones that interest me most.
  • EOS R 'pro' camera body - to entice me to the Canon FF mirrorless / RF mount world
  • EOS 90D DSLR camera body - if it's a worthy upgrade over my Canon 80D (and Canon 7D)
  • EOS M5mkII APS-C camera body- if it is a worthy upgrade over my Canon M5.

Each of them for different reasons:
- the EOS R "pro" - for ultimate in IQ and AF accuracy) & accessing that amazing AF glass
- the EOS 90D - as an all round camera for most of my 'casual' photography
- EOS M5mkII - as the handy, convenient low weigh / small size option

Currently I have a decent to good bunch of lenses across these 3 mounts: EF, EF-S and EF-M.
I use the EF(-S) to EF/M adapter for my M5 also.

It will be interesting what cameras we'll have to consider by the end of 2019 / early 2020!

PJ

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
My bet is Canon will experiment with a new format of camera body. Once you removed the optical path lens-mirror-viewfinder, there are new designs to explore that no longer need the classic SLR body.

This.

I would love to see an EOS R in the form factor of the Rollei SL3003. If it is the same approx price as the R, I would buy this.

Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Interesting times! A fixed lends R? Infrared? Dedicated video R? Cinema R?

My money is on the world's first Full Frame Instant Camera. It will shoot 15 photos per second (achievable with the innovative quad film bay) and is replacing the 7D series . A free pair of Canon scissors will be included for cropping, though they will release an attachable auto-photo-puncher in early 2020 to make cropping more convenient. An additional attachment will be released late 2020 to digitize your instant photos pre or post crop. Canon's specially designed instant photo paper when scanned by Canon's proprietary scanner will yield a 16-bit RAW file. There are no card slots, files will be uploaded to your Canon cloud account (subscription required).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I am eagerly awaiting another EOS-M camera that could possibly replace the M5. The introduction of the 32mm f/1.4 has revealed itself as my dream lens for traveling and general photography. The lens has been so good, I consider it an integral part of my camera bag that I have -surprisingly- begun using in my professional work. It has been insanely fun to use and encouraged be to buy a used M5 until the next M comes out.

These are exciting times in the camera world. As much as Canon is getting shelled on the internet for being behind Sony and other cameras we have to take a step back. There are some great things in the works now that the sleeping and stubborn giant has been awakened. Hopefully the lower income of the comparatively smaller Canon can keep up with Sony or prove their experience in the photography industry can provide them an innovative leg up. Either way, just take photos and keep your head down...it's really insane how divisive our photo community has become over the years.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'm thinking Canon is going to do 2 APS-C mirrorless bodies, one with M mount and the other with R mount and see which sells best.

I'd really love an EOS M5 Mark II with R mount to replace my 7DII

You can't have M with an R mount, as it would simply be just - R. Most probably you also don't want an M5 sized body being called a 7DII? Just admit that - all you want is R :)

Upvote 0
It's a provocation:

Ome body and one lens.
Since market is shifting to mirrorless and someone would proAF and shooting without 1dxMk2(3) the 7d3 is coming as:
M7 as mirrorless 7dmk3: Metal, big (for M series), dust resistant and proAF and shooting with the price of APS-C camera.
Canon added a EOS-M adapter in the package and keep available the new ef-m 15-85 f4IS USM.

With this camera there are not contamination between sensor size between M and R.
The shorter lens I used in the last six month on 7D is the 24-105L and usually is equipped with 70-200, so the EFS lens is useless.

Believe me, you don't want a 7DIII in an M form, being cut-off of posible RF lens path upgrade.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
no, but it has an f1 aperture when wide open and can do 20 sps (scratches per second)

F1 as in Formula 1 racing? Oh, it would need a red badge then to underpin it’s status! :D

Attachments

• 74CD83CA-E1BD-4500-BC10-8C05C2E5ACD0.jpeg
    74CD83CA-E1BD-4500-BC10-8C05C2E5ACD0.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 33846575-91D0-4DAA-80AA-B4DB6863B04E.jpeg
    33846575-91D0-4DAA-80AA-B4DB6863B04E.jpeg
    63.1 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
I am eagerly awaiting another EOS-M camera that could possibly replace the M5. The introduction of the 32mm f/1.4 has revealed itself as my dream lens for traveling and general photography. The lens has been so good, I consider it an integral part of my camera bag that I have -surprisingly- begun using in my professional work. It has been insanely fun to use and encouraged be to buy a used M5 until the next M comes out.

These are exciting times in the camera world. As much as Canon is getting shelled on the internet for being behind Sony and other cameras we have to take a step back. There are some great things in the works now that the sleeping and stubborn giant has been awakened. Hopefully the lower income of the comparatively smaller Canon can keep up with Sony or prove their experience in the photography industry can provide them an innovative leg up. Either way, just take photos and keep your head down...it's really insane how divisive our photo community has become over the years.

(blue) Yes, it is a dream lens at non-nightmare cost: It's welded on my M50 most of the time. It's like a swiss knife: Wide aperture for low light WITHOUT sacrificing IQ, it is small and lightweight to keep it with you. And it has the unique (for wide aperture standard FL) 1:4 max. reproduction ratio which avoids changing lenses.

(green) Its like "money is good if you use it to do something, but bad if it's your goal to own as much money as possible" - I myself are fascinated about tech stuff itself but in the last months I often feel a warm wave: "What a great time with affordable really great tools!" And I go out and shoot ...

The only thing I cannot see any strategy in Canon-land supported by confusing releases, naming schemes. But - see green - I have to go out and shoot with what I have and if I feel (or better if I am) limited I have to go back to check what might fit my needs.

Upvote 0
Infrared would be really cool. A fixed lens wouldn't really be an R would it?
Maybe an astro Ra
Infrared would be really cool. A fixed lens wouldn't really be an R would it?
Yes, maybe an astro Ra (similar to the 6Da) and Breakthrough can make an H-alpha filter for daily use.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0