Canon 1dx Mark II - Underwater Video

Hello all,

I was fortunate to get my hands on a 1dx mark II a few weeks ago, along with an underwater housing for it. Did a last minute trip to the Philippines to test this out.

It is a short video, and I did a mix of macro and wide angle. I used the 100mm F2.8L and some shots with a +10 diopter on it. For Wide angle I used the 16-35mm F4L. Make sure to choose 4k on the playback options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjNnbAP6Jww3

I severely underestimated what the move to 4k was going to bring. The amount of resources both from a speed and storage standpoint is massive. After 40 dives, I came back with about 3.5TB worth of data. Almost all of these shots were shot 4k and 60p, played back at 30p.

Let me know what you think!
Enjoy,

Dustin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjNnbAP6Jww3

gjones5252 said:
Looks good!
If you don't mind me asking what was your process to get the footage ready for editing? Did you edit natively or did you transcode it to another format?
Any info on your steps to prep that much data would be helpful!

I was hoping you could tell me!!! Haha. I did edit natively, but it was a slow and annoying process. I am still working out my process. This has been eye opening as far as how to have premiere configured and the different drives to do specific tasks. I am getting a raid 0 16tb drive today, so hopefully that will help with the large file sizes. For this I had to just copy over the files I was going to use, which isn't my typical workflow. It records 5.6 gB per minute. I don't know much about transcoding, but I need to investigate it more.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Just wonderful. Hope your workflow is not bother with the high data rate.
I sent your links to my daughter who lives in Singapore, and she visits the Philippines often and she dives with her SL1 and water proof case. She shoots nudis. Hope she can learn from you.
-r

Mantadude said:
lion rock said:
Wow, first rate!
-r

Thanks for watching it!

Upvote 0
scottkinfw said:
Stunning Dustin, grand slam!

Thanks for posting this treasure.

What did you use for lighting?

sek

Thanks. I appreciate you watching it. As for Lighting, the macro is lit with a sola 2100 or a Inon Lf800n. For wide I pretty much use available light, in the 1 shot I have lights on, it is a sola 8000.

Upvote 0