Canon 60D v. Nikon D7000

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paeataa

I'm totally new to DSLRs and deciding between Canon 60D and Nikon D7000. Either of those will be my first DSLR -- a huge jump from Canon IS S3 series. Though I really love my Canon IS S3, it's time to upgrade and seriously learn to take great photos.

I love the articulated screen of Canon 60D, but it seems D7000 has a lot more to offer. And it seems there is a big disappointment among Canon lovers on the 60D. I can't decide which one would be better for my $1500 budget (camera + lens(es)).

Could you guys tell me the pros and cons of these two models?

Thanks!

paeataa said:
I'm totally new to DSLRs and deciding between Canon 60D and Nikon D7000. Either of those will be my first DSLR -- a huge jump from Canon IS S3 series. Though I really love my Canon IS S3, it's time to upgrade and seriously learn to take great photos.

I love the articulated screen of Canon 60D, but it seems D7000 has a lot more to offer. And it seems there is a big disappointment among Canon lovers on the 60D. I can't decide which one would be better for my $1500 budget (camera + lens(es)).

Thanks!

The answer is in your question. 60D has almost nothing to compete against D7000, if we believe the specs of D7000 are true. Given that the ESP of D7000 is just $100 higher than of 60D, I wouldn't think for a second.
However we should wait until D7000 is officially announced.

Upvote 0
Jan said:
First of all you should wait until the D7000 is officially announced.

Second, I personally would wait until both DSLRs are widely available to see at which price they will fit into the current market...

Totally agree. It's already clear that specs wise 60D is not a competitor for D7000. Nikon and Canon seem always to avoid direct competition, and to the Canon's move into Nikon's area with 7D, Nikon answered with a hit into Canon's traditional XXD area. But Canon was prepared and already left that area by downgrading 60D. The game is the same, but the roles have changed. and soon the prices will settle somewhere at $1000 for D7000 and $850 for 60D.

Upvote 0
C

CameraAddict

ELK said:
Totally agree. It's already clear that specs wise 60D is not a competitor for D7000. Nikon and Canon seem always to avoid direct competition, and to the Canon's move into Nikon's area with 7D, Nikon answered with a hit into Canon's traditional XXD area. But Canon was prepared and already left that area by downgrading 60D. The game is the same, but the roles have changed. and soon the prices will settle somewhere at $1000 for D7000 and $850 for 60D.

Which brings the question, how will the T2i fit into this lineup. I'd say the T2i will die or downgrade.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Only you can decide this. It depends on what you want out of a camera.

But, you should definitely NOT decide solely on the basis of one or two minor features on the latest camera models. When you buy an SLR, you are buying into a complete system and you need to consider everything: lenses, flash, accessories, etc., but most especially the lenses. Even if you are just starting out with a single lens, you will eventually want to add to that collection. (And surreptitiously sneak it into the house when your spouse isn't looking. ;)) Traditionally, Canon has held a slight price advantage over Nikon in lenses, but there are plenty of exceptions.

Technology is changing rapidly and camera bodies seem to be running on about a two-year cycle these days, so eventually you will replace the body itself but you won't want to have to start all over again with a lens system.

Read reviews as they come out and take EVERYTHING you read on this site with a grain of salt. No one here is objective and many of the discussions center around esoteric technical points that don't have much relevance to the average person. This site has a comment history, that will enable you to see what axe the commenter has to grind. There are also some very knowledgeable people contributing to this forum (folks that have far more technological knowledge than I do or care to have). You can identify them from the comment history as well.

Remember that anything you read here about the 60D is based on a camera that hasn't even been released. If you care about the technical details, watch sites like dpreview.com. In my opinion they do a very good job. Others may disagree. You can read the photography press as well, although you'll find that they tend to be advocates, rather than critics (don't want to offend the advertisers, you know.) Still their reviews are generally reasonable.

Ultimately, the camera is just a tool and you'll be able to take great pictures with either one.

Upvote 0
S

Son of Daguerre

paeataa said:

Thanks!

The "disappointment" is for prosumers who wanted a camera better than the 50D. Being that you're coming from the S3 IS, I would say that you should rather take the 60D. Yes, the AF isn't as good, but you're stepping up, aren't you? And the Vari-Angle LCD will be a nice thing that stays with you during the switch.

When you decide to move up, you'll go for the 7D or the supposed 7D Mark II. Although personally I see nothing wrong with the 60D. A Camry will work just as well as a Lamborghini.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I have a canon system that i like a lot, but unless you plan to shoot with tilt shift lenses buy into nikon. Better prices (never thought I'd say that). All the lenses upgraded on schedule (no ridiculous waits for upgrades) think 24, 35, 85, 200, 300. Canon used to have more affordale lenses but the new ones cost more now. There's no reason not to pick the more attractive total package. That would be nikon right now.

Upvote 0
P

paeataa

LukeS said:
according to dpreview the price of the D7000 with kit lens is $700 *jaw drop to floor*. Canon is definitely going to have to drop some prices.

edit: looks like dpreview seriously messed up on the price: http://dpreview.com/previews/nikond7000/page2.asp

nikon's site says $1200 http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25468/D7000.html

If that appeared to be the correct price, which I doubt, I'd buy one for sure. Good bye Canon though I have always been a big fan of them :)

Upvote 0
T

that1guy

To the OP - Everyone is right, it really is up to you as to what you like in a camera. The D7000 is announced now, so you will be able to see the specs, but personally, I always like to see some actual tests from the camera, although to be honest, I'm sure either of these cameras will be more than up to the task. If I were starting out in a system from the beginning, I would look into everything from flashes, to lenses, to the current body I am looking at, to the upgrade bodies...see what appeals to you. I would also try to get into a camera store and actually hold them both in your hands...after all, it is going to spend a lot of time there ;)

If you are just looking at specs, I can't see much on the 60D that would make you want to pick that over the Nikon. The Nikon's specs and price are quite impressive.

If anyone is interested, Chase Jarvis got his hands on one of these a while back and took some photos and made a video. You can see it on his blog here:
http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2010/09/nikon-d7000/

Upvote 0
U

unruled

http://www.petapixel.com/2010/09/14/nikon-officially-announces-the-d7000-two-pro-lenses-and-a-speedlight/#more-15558

official announcement.

Those specs are a lot better than the 60d, and several pro additions are made to the d7000 there (100% viewfinder, dual mem slots, better AF).

since it will be your first SLR though I would just say to go into a shop and play with a few models, find one that you like and fits well into your hand. As first SLR, the exact details and abilities are not the most important aspect of the camera.

Upvote 0
Goodbye Canon!

Nikon has proved once more it's a photographer-centric company. In such a tough times this small company releases D3100 and D7000 both fantastic upgrades. Canon, in contrast has much better financial buffer, but they seem to cut intensely on R&D and release ridiculous 60D, G12 and S95 - none of them has any serios step forward from previous versions with 60D being a step backward.

Of course Canon releases excellent lenses, but still they seem to concentrate on sports/wildlife more than on wide-angle lenses. So a whole amateur semi-pro segment is absolutely ignored. Nikon, in contrast, tries to satisfy all segments, yes, sometimes with big delays, but still they do it as hard as they can!

I don't think it's wise for me, an average amateur, to continue invest into Canon, which lets me down. I won't sell my 40D and lenses for now, but I will definitely buy D7000 and give a try to Nikon again! They deserve to be the best!

Upvote 0
It's easy to get obsessed with the specs of the latest camera. It's worth remembering that two years from now both Canon and Nikon will have released even newer models to replace them. Hopefully a new camera will last a bit longer than that, but you will probably replace it within four or five years. Who knows what Canon or Nikon might be offering then?

The bottom line is: they're both very good cameras and in the hands of a competent photographer either of them can take great photos. (I haven't used either camera, but I am confident in the truth of this statement.)

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
The AF on the D7000 is not better.

It might have 39 AF points but only 9 are cross type.

The 60D also has 9 cross type AF sensors.

In other words, the D7000 has an extra 30 AF sensors that you do not want to use.
That's wrong. AF-tracking is impossible with he 60D because the AF sensors are not close enough to pass the focus to the adjacent sensor.
If the AF system of the D7000 works as good as the system of the 7D is not said, but it definitely works better than the 60D's (which is easy as it doesn't work ;)).

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
I'm a canon guy and hate whiners as much as the next guy. I do want to observe that nikon has thrown a huge curveball at canon with the d7000 and is just daring canon to try to take a swing at it.

if the d7000 is going to retail for $1100 (that $700 figure someone threw out there is totally bogus and erroneous), I simply don't see how canon can retail the 60D at the same price. for the time being, if someone is looking to buy into an mid-range consumer cam without preexisting glass ... how can you seriously recommend the 60D?

that being said, canon and nikon have almost always done off-step major updates; I have no doubt that 2011 or 2012 is going to be wild for people interested in the bigger bodies, and I'm happy for that. my only worry is not having enough dough on hand to take advantage of the goodies canon will be dropping next year or the year after

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.