Canon 85mm 1.2LII vs Sigma 85mm 1.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

neuroanatomist said:
briansquibb said:
If the AF isn't fast enough then an old school shooter would use the focus ring - it is a mighty quick way to get it close, and then let the AF do the final adjustment.

Except that in this case, that wouldn't help the old school shooter at all. When you rotate the focus ring of the 85L, it activates actuators which cause the ring USM motor to move the focusing elements. So, MF is no faster than AF with the 85L. Another consequence of that is the lens requires power to focus - if you want to store the lens with the front element retracted, you need to do that with the lens mounted and the camera on. A bit annoying, but it becomes a habit.

My mistake - didn't realise it was a fly by wire focus.

The 85 f/1.2 is on my possible list for the 1D4 so am interested in this thread. Have the f/1.8 version but not that keen on the background from it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
briansquibb said:
The 85 f/1.2 is on my possible list for the 1D4 so am interested in this thread. Have the f/1.8 version but not that keen on the background from it.

It's quite a bit nicer, both in build quality and background blur. On FF, I usually shoot at f/1.6-1.8, but on APS-H the wider aperture would be a big benefit. The 85L has less longitudinal CA than the 85/1.8 (still has some, though). Also, even at f/1.8 I found that the 85L delivers better background blur than the 85/1.8:

Focal point is on the bloom in front. The crops below are ~1:3 pixels of the blossom that is vertical to the focal point (the right one of the pair). To me, the bokeh of the 85L at f/1.8 is smoother and softer than the 85mm f/1.8.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

neuroanatomist said:
It's quite a bit nicer, both in build quality and background blur. On FF, I usually shoot at f/1.6-1.8, but on APS-H the wider aperture would be a big benefit. The 85L has less longitudinal CA than the 85/1.8 (still has some, though). Also, even at f/1.8 I found that the 85L delivers better background blur than the 85/1.8:

Focal point is on the bloom in front. The crops below are ~1:3 pixels of the blossom that is vertical to the focal point (the right one of the pair). To me, the bokeh of the 85L at f/1.8 is smoother and softer than the 85mm f/1.8.

Many thanks for that - it is very useful info

Upvote 0
Interesting, Neuroanatomist. As I mentioned in a different thread, I've found that the Canon 85/1.2 has a shorter DOF at f/1.4 than the Sigma at f/1.4. In fact, at f/1.6 it has a similar DOF to the Sigma at f/1.4. I wonder if Canon actually underestimates its max f-stop value (or Sigma overestimates it... which'd also imply that the Canon 85/1.8 overestimates it according to your results).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.