Canon Adds EOS R50 and EOS R8 to the Growing EOS R Mirrorless Camera System

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Plus, Image Story Telling Through R-Mount Lenses Is Ramped Up With Additions of the New RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STM and RF24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM Lenses MELVILLE, NY, February 7, 2023 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today the launch of the new EOS R50 camera body, ideal for entry level users,

See full article...

Aug 7, 2018
The price of the R8 is quite underwhelming. You can buy an RP for 899 Euros. The R8 costs 1799 Euros, which is roughly twice as much. Is that the price you have to pay for an "entry level" full frame camera these days? When did 1799 Euros become "cheap"? Are full frame sensor still very expensive to produce in 2023? Back in the analogue days full frame was a standard, but in the digital world it still seems like a luxury.

I thought that the R8 might be a good second camera along a DLSR, but for that it is just too expensive. It misses IBIS and a mechanical shutter and has a horrible battery life. The R7 seems like a much more attractive page for me. It costs 1499 Euros and has IBIS and a mechanical shutter.

For 400 Euros more than the R8, you can buy a Panasonic S5 II, which seems a much better deal. Like the R7 it also has IBIS and a mechanical shutter, but also full frame and some other nice features. And it supports third party lenses including all Canon EF lenses with an adapter.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Looks like all the latest rumours and chat has come true.
The bodies look like a good round-up of the system. Of course a lot of things will be moaned over (battery, IBIS, etc.)
The lenses might find their market, but esp. for the 24-50 I'm not in that market.

Depending on my budget, the R8 might be a really interesting travel body.
And from my 200D I already have some LP-E17, so I'd go along with enough spare ;)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The R8 is disappointing to me in design despite having really nice specs, I owned the RP for a while and the body just isn’t very ergonomic, I feel like it’s lazy for canon to just reuse the parts and leave out things like a control wheel or joystick (which even the cheaper R10 has).
Well, the RP sold very well, so the form wasn't an issue for everyone.

I feel about the R8 a little like I did about the EOS R - which included an excellent sensor (from the 5D IV which I couldn't afford), but left off a bunch of features that I usually didn't (but sometimes did!) want. And I absolutely loved/love the EOS R. That's how price differentiation works - and in the case of the R8, we end up with a (relatively) budget version of the M6 II with most of that camera's state-of-the-art features, in a very small and light body. It's, as always, a Q of whether the feature set and the price suit you. At first glance I think they will for a lot of people with the R8.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
For 400 Euros more than the R8, you can buy a Panasonic S5 II, which seems a much better deal. Like the R7 it also has IBIS and a mechanical shutter, but also full frame and some other nice features. And it supports third party lenses including all Canon EF lenses with an adapter.
And you'll get an excellent camera, and probably be very pleased with the images it captures. Sounds like a good option for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The price of the R8 is quite underwhelming. You can buy an RP for 899 Euros. The R8 costs 1799 Euros...
It is always easy to compare the actual street price of an old camera with the MRSP of a just introduced new camera.
But it is comparing apples to oranges.
Of course, you will also see some rise when you compare both MRSPs at release date. But

- RP has an old, reused sensor
- RP has the weakest AF system of all FF R cams
- RP EVF is so slow
- R8 gets the latest sensor, an up-to-date EVF and the latest AF system
- R8 is almost an R6 II at a fraction of its price
- and globally since the two releases there is all that inflation from COVID, war, etc.

Still, and of course with reason one can argue, that that price is too high.
But nobody is forced to buy Canon, that camera and at release price.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2022
Well, the RP sold very well, so the form wasn't an issue for everyone.

I feel about the R8 a little like I did about the EOS R - which included an excellent sensor (from the 5D IV which I couldn't afford), but left off a bunch of features that I usually didn't (but sometimes did!) want. And I absolutely loved/love the EOS R. That's how price differentiation works - and in the case of the R8, we end up with a (relatively) budget version of the M6 II with most of that camera's state-of-the-art features, in a very small and light body. It's, as always, a Q of whether the feature set and the price suit you. At first glance I think they will for a lot of people with the R8.

Price differentiation is designed to give everyone an option they want though - not the case with what canon is doing here. What I and many others wanted was an r10 or r7 body with full frame sensor and canon didn’t do that - and I don’t want the size of the R6 so I’m left with the only option remaining of switching brands.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Still no camera for stills shooters (pun intended). But good work from product management. Some features worse than the competition, some better. Not bad enough to make you switch systems; but not good enough to make you happy neither.
1675842674316.png
Edit: both prices are what I would pay in Germany today.
Battery life according to DPR.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Still no camera for stills shooters (pun intended). But good work from product management. Some features worse than the competition, some better. Not bad enough to make you switch systems; but not good enough to make you happy neither.
View attachment 207495
Thanks for that summary. And I agree that getting more for less money (BTW: is the Z5 price MRSP or street?) is always nice.
Maybe you should add size and weight as well. The higher Z5 could be a dealbreaker to some small travel bags.

Edit: And maybe you should update the R8 battery life to 370 / 220. That are the values I get from Canon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The extension grip EG-E1 is listed as an accessory for the R8 on Canon's website. This is the same grip as the RP, and as far as I can tell, the holes on the bottom of the R8 are the same as on the bottom of the RP, and the bottom of the R8 looks to be the same shape as the bottom of the RP. I'd say the R8 is for all intents and purposes the RP successor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0