Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Company will Also Develop Seven RF Lenses and Two RF Lens Extenders in 2020
MELVILLE, NY, February 12, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced that its parent company, Canon Inc., is developing the highly anticipated Canon EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera. The camera will feature a newly designed CMOS sensor and new image processor, along with new state-of-the-art optical technologies the company has been able to cultivate through its long history of groundbreaking camera and digital imaging solutions development. In addition, Canon plans to release seven RF lenses and two RF lens extenders that are currently in development. These new photography tools will help to continue to strengthen the EOS R system and cement the RF mount as an industry leader.

“Today’s announcement comes as a direct result of the tireless effort of Canon engineers who have been tasked with developing the next generation of...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Is it just me or the details are less than we expected (R6?) or at least wanted confirmed from the rumours? Only thing new is the aperture for the RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1 and confirmation on extenders. Extenders on the 100-500mm will need some high ISO if the shutter speed is high. Having a ~70mm front element should mean a reasonable price and size though

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Interested in the extenders. My guess is that unlike EF extenders they'll work with any RF lens and probably even the RF-EF adaptors and therefore any EF lens too

Maybe not all the EF-RF adaptors -- the CPL one may block the T/C protruding element.

But yes (maybe?) on the other two EF-RF adaptors I think?

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I know it's just a development announcement but was hoping there would be a bit more details... this is far less than the rumors! But still great to have confirmation :)

Confirms the marquee features:

- EIGHT-FREEKIN-KAY video
- ~45mp (inferred; the sensor has to be this big to hit 8K)
- 12/20
- IBIS

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
They also announced the RF24-105 f4-7.1 IS STM

The video makes it clear that you can take pictures of little things like coffee beans. Is that a thing? I can’t read the menus but could they have a limitable macro close focus distance. That’s my complaint about the RF 35.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0