Canon Announces the macOS Full Production Version of EOS Webcam Utility Software

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
From Canon USA: With over 1 million downloads across the globe with 300,000 of them in the United States alone, the next chapter in the EOS Webcam Utility software story has been written. Continuing to fulfill the very apparent need of our customers, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the full production version 1.0 of the EOS Webcam Utility Software for macOS as well as version 1.1 for Windows. Now officially out of beta, macOS users, as well as Windows users, have access to the software, which converts compatible Canon EOS Interchangeable Lens (ILC) and PowerShot cameras into high-quality webcams for video conferencing and streaming.

Rooted with ease and convenience at its core, the EOS Webcam Utility software is a direct result of the market shift that Canon identified; and, adhering to the needs of our customer base, Canon designed software that produces high-quality video streaming. Now compatible with 43 Canon EOS ILC and...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
It still surprises me that Canon never made an app to turn any of their point and shoot or dslr into a webcam.

they would have owned the market if they did over a decade ago.

no web cam image sensor or lens would ever compete in audio or image quality even if it were squished to 640x480

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2020
It still surprises me that Canon never made an app to turn any of their point and shoot or dslr into a webcam.

they would have owned the market if they did over a decade ago.

no web cam image sensor or lens would ever compete in audio or image quality even if it were squished to 640x480

There is a standard, the USB Video Class (UVC), Canon should release a firmware update to make at least their current cameras UVC (1.1 and1.5) compliant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class

Sigma has their FP camera that is UVC compliant, no need to release some SW like EOS webcam utility different for any OS, just make your camera Standard and compliant with UVC and anyone can use their own and preferred Webcam SW and OS, if Sigma can do, also Canon (Nikon, Sony , Panasonic etc...) could do too, if a less than 10$ webcam can stream over USB also a 1000+$ dollar Camera should be able to do the same without the need of any proprietary SW.

Upvote 0
There is a standard, the USB Video Class (UVC), Canon should release a firmware update to make at least their current cameras UVC (1.1 and1.5) compliant https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class

Sigma has their FP camera that is UVC compliant, no need to release some SW like EOS webcam utility different for any OS, just make your camera Standard and compliant with UVC and anyone can use their own and preferred Webcam SW and OS, if Sigma can do, also Canon (Nikon, Sony , Panasonic etc...) could do too, if a less than 10$ webcam can stream over USB also a 1000+$ dollar Camera should be able to do the same without the need of any proprietary SW.
Imagine if canon did that in 2003 or 2004.

i used to be able to use canons FireWire video cameras as a webcam. They just never marketed it that way

Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
Of course I've got a T4i... weird its not on the list, given that the T3i and T5i are.

UPDATE - the v1.1 (Windows 10) EOS webcam utility worked with a T4i, a Rebel XS (1000D), and a 40D.

OBS showed a custom output option of 1024 x 576 for all of them. There is a slight lag, but the image looks clean and crisp with all the goodness of a real lens on the front. It does continuous autofocus in film mode on the T4i (Digic 5). No continuous AF on the XS or 40D, presumably because they are older still-image cameras (Digic 3). Tried them with OBS, Zoom, and Skype - all seemed to work. Maybe a good way to squeeze some life out of an old body.

Kudos to Canon for the kluge - I hope they will build full HD webcam ability in their upcoming models. They know there is a demand for it. If not for now, for the next pandemic...

Last edited:
Upvote 0