Canon Announces the Speedlite 430EX III-RT Flash

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>New External Flash Unit Features Wireless Flash Shooting and Compact Size

</strong>MELVILLE, N.Y., July 8, 2015 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the new Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT external flash unit featuring – for the first time in the Canon 430EX series – radio-controlled wireless flash shooting capabilities<sup class="green">1</sup> designed to make creative light control more manageable and versatile for photographers of all levels. This third generation Speedlite is a perfect primary flash unit for amateur and advanced amateur photographers looking to create beautiful portraits with Canon digital cameras such as the EOS Rebel T6i, as well as professional photographers looking for a small and lightweight secondary flash.</p>
<p>“Canon is proud to offer outstanding photographic accessories that help enhance a photographer’s overall creative experience when shooting with our EOS DSLR cameras,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “The new Speedlite 430EX III-RT provides photographers with a very responsive flash unit having new wireless capabilities that enable users to create more professional lighting effects than if they were to rely on their camera’s pop-up flash alone.”</p>
<p>Featuring enhanced functionality and operability over its predecessor (the Canon Speedlite 430EX II), the new Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT features wireless flash shooting via optical or radio transmission (similar to the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT but slave function only), now with shorter recycling time and quicker firing. This multi-functional flash unit makes more advanced flash shooting easy for any photographer with its intuitive, user-friendly operation, abundant bounce and swivel shooting functions and advanced features including a maximum Guide Number of 43/141 at ISO 100 in meters/feet, auto zooming from 24-105mm, Hi-Speed Sync and Second-curtain Sync. In addition, the Speedlite 430EX III-RT has been reduced in size and weight compared to its predecessor.</p>
<p>Featuring another first for the 430EX series of flash units, the Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT also includes an SCF-E2 Color Filter which helps balance color temperature when shooting in incandescent lighting, an SBA-E2 Bounce Adapter that helps soften light while helping suppress shadows, a built-in Catchlight panel, illuminated dot-matrix LCD, new control dial, light distribution options, multi-camera sync shooting, and remote shutter release. Enhanced functions include broader bounce angle range and flash exposure compensation via the new control dial. Also included are two cases – one for the flash and one for the filter and adapter.</p>
<p><strong>Pricing and Availability

</strong>The new Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT flash is scheduled to be available in September 2015 for an estimated retail price of $299.99*. For more information please visit: <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/speedlite_flash_lineup/speedlite_430ex_iii_rt">http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/speedlite_flash_lineup/speedlite_430ex_iii_rt</a></p>
<p><strong>Preorder Options:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1165079-REG/canon_0585c006_speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT $299 from B&H Photo</a></li>
<li><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1165080-REG/canon_1157c001_ra_e3_remote_controller_adapter.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon RA-E3 Remote Controller Adapter from B&H Photo</a></li>
<li><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1165081-REG/canon_0588c001_sba_e2_bounce_adapter.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon SBA-E2 Bounce Adapter from B&H Photo</a></li>
<li><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1165078-REG/canon_0587c001_scf_e2_color_filter.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon SCF-E2 Color Filter from B&H Photo</a></li>
</ul>

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Wonder if we will see wireless transmitters built in to future Canon bodies?
Would be nice in a 6D MK II and 5D MK IV, given they have no pop-up flash, and wouldn't need one either now that wireless is about to become the 'norm'.

There was some talk that the next 1D was delayed due to Canon testing some new flash system. I wonder if that could be related to having integrated wireless transmitter.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
lw said:
Would be nice in a 6D MK II and 5D MK IV, given they have no pop-up flash, and wouldn't need one either now that wireless is about to become the 'norm'.

Extra useful in those two I agree, and if the 6D Mark II also has a swivel screen that would make it the ideal macro camera for me.

I'm currently using a 60D (in preference to my 7D2 because of the swivel screen) with a 430EX on a bracket for outdoor macro, and I've found that controlling it using the onboard flash is unreliable - too much ambient light I guess. So I'm using an OC-E3 cable but it would be great to lose that.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
lw said:
Another good new feature is that the 430EX-III-RT is also a wireless transmitter (both wireless and optical). Whereas the II was not, it was only an optical slave.

To be clear, the 430EX III-RT is a slave flash only, and can be controlled by RT and optical masters.

Not according to the specs... http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/speedlite_flash/speedlite_430ex_iii-rt/#p-specification5

WIRELESS FLASH
Transmitter Yes
Transmission type Infra-red / Radi
o

Or the CPN information http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/canon_launches_speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.do

The Speedlite 430EX III-RT includes radio wireless flash control acting as either a master or slave unit.

Acting as a master, the Speedlite 430EX III-RT can control up to five groups of RT-series flashes, with up to 15 units in each group.

Upvote 0
A bit overdue but welcome the new features like being able to rotate the head almost all the way round. Still don't know why they can't make it like the Yongnuos and rotate 360 degrees? And the control dial is a very welcome feature, those tiny hard to press buttons were super annoying.

For those who just want to add slaves to their set up this will be great. if you don't need on camera flash then the ST-E3-RT will be a popular choice for an all 430 set up.

For me the speedlite ship has sailed and Yongnuo YN-560 III fill my requirements of being affordable and easy to use. Sold my 430 EXII a while ago. It was a dinosaur in comparison. Glad Canon updated it, finally.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Zv said:
For those who just want to add slaves to their set up this will be great. if you don't need on camera flash then the ST-E3-RT will be a popular choice for an all 430 set up.

For the price, 2x 430EX III-RT's would be much more versatile choice than 1 flash plus a ST-E3 transmitter. Here in the UK, even at launch prices the 430 III is only £25 more than the ST-E3

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Seems like Canon cannot decide or does not know their products.

because this
lw said:
WIRELESS FLASH
Transmitter Yes
Transmission type Infra-red / Radi
o

Or the CPN information http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/canon_launches_speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.do

The Speedlite 430EX III-RT includes radio wireless flash control acting as either a master or slave unit.

Acting as a master, the Speedlite 430EX III-RT can control up to five groups of RT-series flashes, with up to 15 units in each group.

and this
Canon Rumors said:
... the new Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT features wireless flash shooting via optical or radio transmission (similar to the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT but slave function only)
seem to be a little bit opposite, doesn't it?

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
seem to be a little bit opposite, doesn't it?

Very confusing indeed ???
If I had to guess, I would say that the press release is right (i.e. slave only, optical and radio), and that for the CPN info, someone went a little overboard in copypasting info from the 600EX-RT. I hope I'm wrong, though ...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
lw said:
neuroanatomist said:
lw said:
Another good new feature is that the 430EX-III-RT is also a wireless transmitter (both wireless and optical). Whereas the II was not, it was only an optical slave.

To be clear, the 430EX III-RT is a slave flash only, and can be controlled by RT and optical masters.

Not according to the specs... http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/speedlite_flash/speedlite_430ex_iii-rt/#p-specification5

WIRELESS FLASH
Transmitter Yes
Transmission type Infra-red / Radio

Lots of inconsistencies. The specs you copied suggest it's also an optical transmitter, whereas other sources state in optical mode it's a slave only.

Also, keep in mind that being an RF transmitter by spec must be true, but doesn't mean it can be a master flash. In the Canon RT system, slave flashes report their connection and charging status back to the master, so a slave must have RF transmission capability (and thus meet regulatory requirements, which is why it's offered in some places as a non-RT version like the 600EX).

Time will tell...I'd really like to be wrong, but I still think 430EX III-RT is slave only.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I don't know for sure, but I bet the 430EX II-RT in both wireless modes (optical and radio/RT) is
1. strictly slave only
2. has still no 2nd curtain sync in wireless E-TTL mode
3. has still no manual/direct control over zoom-head position

In essence, as so often with Canon it comes years too late and even then represents the very minimum of any reasonably expected feature set. ::)

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
It doesn't look like there has been any boost in power output, which is a shame. I have a pair of 430EXII flashes I tend to stuff into little nooks for a shot and hide because they're small. I sometimes even bail on the 580 or the 600 for event on camera flash too. I like that it's smaller with more features from the 600. I'll check one out. Maybe time to upgrade my duo of 5+ year old small flashes.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
lw said:
neuroanatomist said:
lw said:

WIRELESS FLASH
Transmitter Yes
Transmission type Infra-red / Radio

Lots of inconsistencies. The specs you copied suggest it's also an optical transmitter, whereas other sources state in optical mode it's a slave only.

Also, keep in mind that being an RF transmitter by spec must be true, but doesn't mean it can be a master flash. In the Canon RT system, slave flashes report their connection and charging status back to the master, so a slave must have RF transmission capability (and thus meet regulatory requirements, which is why it's offered in some places as a non-RT version like the 600EX).

Time will tell...I'd really like to be wrong, but I still think 430EX III-RT is slave only.

Attachments

• speed.JPG
    speed.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I think, there is some confusion here between
A) (synchronized) remote release of camera shutters which is possible via the Canon RT protocol
and
B) Remote triggering of other E-TTL flashes via wireless link (optical or radio/RT).

While the 430EX III may be able to do all or part of A) in similar or identical fashion like a 600EX-RT, I bet it cannot do any of B).

Of course all of this confusion originates with Canon's (consciously?) vague wording in their press releases, marketing claims and websites, including CPN.

Upvote 0