Canon Announces the Speedlite 470EX-AI Autobounce

ahsanford said:
jdavidse said:
2nd, why no RT? As a wedding photographer, RT is absolutely essential. Combining bounce with RT is key to many peoples workflows.

One would think you answered your own question. They aren't aiming this at pros. Pros can use the 600-level stuff.

I see the auto bounce as a neat trick for flash rookies or those that don't have the patience to bounce, chimp, offset/adjust, and shoot again -- this will not be a staple feature for working pros at an event.

I see this thing aimed at the FF-money-level enthusiasts who don't use a flash that often. The 6D-level camp of shooter immediately comes to mind with this. What's another $400 if you've already sunk $2k into a body and $2-3k into lenses?

- A

Also in the Wex video, which is of course sanctioned by Canon (and features one of their UK reps), they said it can save power, as it calculates how much strength is needed, so you aren't overcompensating for a less-than-ideal bounce angle. I dunno how accurate that is, time will tell. But sheesh, the OP needs to calm down and see this isn't really marketed towards wedding pros, who are surely already adequately catered for!

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
neuroanatomist said:
wsmith96 said:
The quote on the webpage says the following:

*As of February 25, 2018. EOS cameras sold up until June 2014, as well as EOS Rebel T7, EOS Rebel T6, EOS M6, EOS M5 and EOS M3, do not support "AI.B full-auto."

I'm betting there will be some firmware updates coming to the older cameras soon.

The T7 isn't an 'older camera' – it was announced right along side the 470 flash.

I see your point, but as their statement is worded I don't think they are done on their supported camera list.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I watched the Rudy Winston video and demonstration. He covered the target market and was quite clear that it was not aimed at professional flash users, so I was surprised to read so many comments re-stating the obvious.

I'm also a bit surprised that the T7 does not support it, but a flash that costs almost the same as the camera is not likely to sell to that market. But, it is surely just firmware, and if some sell, its more profit, it makes little sense to me to not support it with a T7.

I have very few cases where it would be used, I occasionally use my aging 570 EX II for bounce. I wonder if My SL-2 supports it, its not mentioned as unsupported. That might work well for family members taking casual portraits and having no clue as to bounce flash.

Upvote 0
No RT: What for? I think this flash is meant as a unit mounted on a camera to make acceptable bounced flash photos for
(1) unexperienced: Full Auto for those who are interested in increased flash photo quality (not the EOS2000/4000 main users)
(2) experienced: Semi Auto, set the flash angle with reference to the bounce surface once and hold it during variable camera positions (hopefully it cannot only do its repositioning only in 90° increments). For those professionals who need a compact solution where it is not allowed or possible to but several flashes in a room to make a better light distribution.

Marketing-wise maybe not the worst solution.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
jdavidse said:
A guide number 47 flash pales in comparison to 60 (600 series).

Just, one is 47 at 105mm, the other is 60 at 200mm. The power difference may not be that large, I'd really like flashes would use a standard (i.e. at 50mm, as was common the past) to rate their flash power - but to embellish spec sheets marketing departments feel no shame.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
wsmith96 said:
I'm betting there will be some firmware updates coming to the older cameras soon.

Or maybe not. I guess the 5DIII could have been made compatible with the WiFi SD card (it supports EyeFi, after all), but it wasn't.

Semi-auto anyway works. It's marketing reasons, more reasons you have to upgrade your current camera(s), the better for Canon...

I'm surprised anyway 2015 cameras already support it without firmware updates, it looks it has been in the working for a while.

Upvote 0

Firillu

Zobb f’sormok
Feb 16, 2017
Pluto
Memdroid said:
Only wished Canon finally abandoned the AA batteries for Li-ON ones.

Most stupid thing they can do is switch to a custom shape Lithium battery.

I use flash all day five times a week and only use rechargeable AAs and they last a long time. If I run out, I can always buy standard AA available anywhere on the planet.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
LDS said:
jdavidse said:
A guide number 47 flash pales in comparison to 60 (600 series).

Just, one is 47 at 105mm, the other is 60 at 200mm. The power difference may not be that large, I'd really like flashes would use a standard (i.e. at 50mm, as was common the past) to rate their flash power - but to embellish spec sheets marketing departments feel no shame.

Exactly, the guide number for the 600EX II RT at 105mm is 54m so the difference is just a third of a stop.

Upvote 0
Firillu said:
Memdroid said:
Only wished Canon finally abandoned the AA batteries for Li-ON ones.

Most stupid thing they can do is switch to a custom shape Lithium battery.

I use flash all day five times a week and only use rechargeable AAs and they last a long time. If I run out, I can always buy standard AA available anywhere on the planet.

That is certainly convenient. But for a flash like this power and recycling speed is a lot more convenient. Even the best AA batteries cannot hold a fast recycling speed, especially at full power. That is why Li-ON batteries are much much more depended. Imagine what a single LP-E6 could do if it could power a Canon flash! Check Godox for example for reference. Unfortunately their flashes are qualitatively not that great but the recycling speed is remarkable.

Upvote 0
jdavidse said:
So who is this for? A beginner who can’t afford a 600, yet can afford this $400 flash, who feels the $200 430EX II-RT is not good enough? Certainly not wedding or event photographers who need lots of power or need RT. Certainly not someone who would rather pay half for their first flash (the 430). So yeah, semi-rich beginners who don’t shoot events. Sounds legit, Canon.

Same thing I asked when I go to Carl's Jr. and Kohls.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Memdroid said:
That is certainly convenient. But for a flash like this power and recycling speed is a lot more convenient. Even the best AA batteries cannot hold a fast recycling speed, especially at full power. That is why Li-ON batteries are much much more depended. Imagine what a single LP-E6 could do if it could power a Canon flash! Check Godox for example for reference. Unfortunately their flashes are qualitatively not that great but the recycling speed is remarkable.

And a few replacements will cost more than the flash, plus the chargers to charge them. If you need fast recycle time, add an external power source. The Godox PB960 is cheap and work with Canon flashes. Quantum battery packs have been trusted for years.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Tilting/angling mechanism way too slow in the vids I saw. Other aspects might be great, but once a photographer understands bounce, which takes about ten minutes of trying it, all that's needed is just a quick flick to aim the head at the correct surface for bouncing.

If you think fiddling with flash makes the subject impatient, imagine as they wait for the head to go from landscape to portrait--then back again. At least you'll catch some happy giggles! Or impatient glaring filled with character...

Upvote 0