Canon Announces the XC15 4K UHD Video Camcorder

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<em>XLR Microphone Input Provides Audio Support in Addition to High-Quality 4K UHD Video Capture</em></p>
<p dir="ltr"><strong>MELVILLE, N.Y., September 1, 2016</strong> – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today the XC15 4K Video Camcorder, a 4K UHD digital video camcorder for professional use that achieves high-image quality with a lightweight, compact body.</p>
<p dir="ltr">The new Canon XC15, which builds on the XC10 4K UHD digital video camcorder announced in April 2015, enables shooting with an external microphone through an XLR input and features the selection of visual-expression “Look” modes, including modes that allow it to match the look of other Canon professional cameras, making it ideal for use as a “B”-camera as well as for media and video-content productions.</p>
<p dir="ltr">The Canon XC15 ships with the MA-400 microphone adapter that, when attached, enables shooting with XLR-input microphones used in a wide range of media and content-creation applications. As a result, the camcorder supports the production of content that combines both high-image quality and high-sound quality with reduced noise. The MA-400 is also compatible with the EOS C300 Mark II camera.</p>
<p dir="ltr"><!--more--></p>
<p dir="ltr">Thanks to its high-sensitivity one-inch CMOS sensor and DIGIC DV 5 image processing platform with high calculation-processing power, the new XC15 is capable of capturing high-image quality and low-noise 4K UHD video. Additionally, the camcorder features a compact, lightweight body design, measuring approximately 5.0 x 4.1 x 4.8 inches (WxHxD) and weighs approximately 2.1 pounds while also sporting a 10x optical zoom lens<sup>1</sup>, which facilitates shooting in confined spaces and environments that demand mobility.</p>
<p dir="ltr">The Canon XC15 4K UHD professional video camcorder is scheduled to be available in September 2016 for a list price of $3,000.00.* For more information, please visit <a href="http://www.usa.canon.com/" target="_self">usa.canon.com</a></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

The press release is not all that informative but News Shooters has a good hands on review of it:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/09/01/canon-xc15-adds-xlr-audio-canon-log-and-waveform-monitor-to-the-xc10/

Still trying to absorb the info and I am curious whether these "Look" modes would allow me to make the video look like what I create with a 1DX.

Interesting.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
The press release is not all that informative but News Shooters has a good hands on review of it:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/09/01/canon-xc15-adds-xlr-audio-canon-log-and-waveform-monitor-to-the-xc10/

Still trying to absorb the info and I am curious whether these "Look" modes would allow me to make the video look like what I create with a 1DX.

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing, I'd like to learn more about this camera. I borrowed the XC10 and loved it but couldn't get over the line on a couple of things and in particular the slow access to the iso. Doesn't look like the buttons are any different?

Upvote 0
Talley said:
not much of a change I think from the first model.

I disagree. It seems that there are some very important updates such as XLR (all my main mics are XLR) and a few other things. I still wonder about the menu, which is what I think Melbournite mentions. I would like to see more reviews but for now it seems like a good upgrade.

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
My first clue was Canon's BIG lead on this press release... about an XLR input and a microphone. Good Lord. I must admit my disappointment with this one.

I agree, it's a feature that the first version should have had if it's a device intended for video professionals. I may consider this new version since it can now handle run and gun work without any 3rd party band aid solutions for XLR audio. The slow lens and lack of DPAF is still disappointing.

Upvote 0
padam said:
In the UK it costs 1000 pounds more than the old model (2400 vs 1400)

Does not seem to be worth it for just a handful of minor updates apart from the XLR input (maybe it will come down in price, I don't think there is a huge demand for it).

While the C100 Mk2 wasn't a big upgrade either, it was still better than this one.

Canon's gift to the world is teaching patience. I'm still waiting for the C100 to be done right. Fingers crossed for the C100 Mark III.

Upvote 0

ajm

Live, Shoot, Edit, Repeat
Aug 25, 2016
melbournite said:
expatinasia said:

Interesting.

Thanks for sharing, I'd like to learn more about this camera. I borrowed the XC10 and loved it but couldn't get over the line on a couple of things and in particular the slow access to the iso. Doesn't look like the buttons are any different?

Haha, slow access to the ISO??? C'mon. There is an option in the menu to set the ISO on the wheel.
Here's 2 video's I did about how easy the menu is to navigate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTpBQ5hao0
And this one I did just about the XC10's ISO adjustment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8-8dMTWYkY

Enjoy...

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
Canon's gift to the world is teaching patience. I'm still waiting for the C100 to be done right. Fingers crossed for the C100 Mark III.

The C100 Mark II is probably the closest example to "done right" of any Canon camera. What exactly are you waiting for? I do agree some improvements can be made (see below), which are quite different than fixes (I can't think of anything that needs to be fixed). Are you sure you're not just waiting for the C300 Mk II to be priced like a C100?

- DPAF face detect with all EF lenses (like on the C300 Mark II)
- A couple higher bitrate options (like on the C300 Mark II)
- the addition of 4k (like on the C300 Mark II)
- higher frame rates (like on the C300 Mark II)

Upvote 0
The addition of a waveform monitor is the feature that makes me want to return the XC10 I bought the other day. But at the $3k price point (double what I paid for the XC10), I think I'll wait for what the XC10 Mark II o XC20 has to offer. Hopefully that guy has DPAF w/ face tracking to really make this a sort of a dummy-proof easy run n' gun powerhouse.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
ajm said:
melbournite said:
expatinasia said:

Interesting.

Haha, slow access to the ISO??? Give me a break. There is an option in the menu to set the ISO on the wheel.

And this one I did just about the XC10's ISO adjustment for people like you..."

He borrowed the camera. It isn't something he owns and uses all the time. He even says there is more he'd like to learn about the camera. Don't be a jerk, especially if you want people to watch your videos.

Upvote 0

ajm

Live, Shoot, Edit, Repeat
Aug 25, 2016
transpo1 said:
$3k? This is getting comical. Intriguing improvement on concept camera but WAY overpriced. Add a fast, constant aperture lens and maybe it would be worth it. We'll see large price drops on this in less than 6 months.

On the Canon website price says $2399 for the new XC15. B&H no price set yet.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
The XC15 4K Camcorder uses DiGiC DV III's for h.264 output and has to be vented. Canon's cameras do not use DiGiC DV's .. but different DiGiCs.. good lord. you'd think people accusing canon of crippling or doing things on purpose to prevent sales would also spend two brain synapses on knowing what the heck they are talking about.

the XC15 basically has the stripped down core guts of the C300 II in it.

It can't use DPAF because it uses a sony sensor ::)

Whatever it's price sub 2500 or so, it's still the cheapest broadcast compliant camcorder out there with professional codecs that punch out that 4:2:2 300mbps at h.264 4K.

That's what you are paying for.

Upvote 0