Canon Announces Two New Entry-Level Binoculars Featuring Lens-Shift Image Stabilization

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With Lens-Shift Image Stabilization, Compact, Lightweight Bodies and Affordable Pricing, the Canon 8×20 IS and 10×20 IS Binoculars are the Triple-Threat Tools Necessary for all Viewing Endeavors
MELVILLE, NY, September 19, 2019 – What do birdwatching, hiking, camping and sports watching all have in common? They all need a trusted and high-quality set of binoculars to view and bask in the full experience. Continuing to elevate viewing through impressive optics, Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced two new, lightweight entry-level Image-Stabilized Binoculars with an 8×20 IS and 10×20 IS. Specifically, the 8×20 IS binoculars are the world’s lightest binoculars with image stabilization*. These new entry-level models also feature Lens Shift Image Stabilization (IS) technology, a technology that allows users to see an even sharper image by moving the IS lens to help correct shaking from handholding.

“One of the secrets to Canon’s success is the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2011
I quite like my 10x30 IS binoculars. Don’t use them too much, if I did I’d get the 10x42L IS.
I have the 8x25's, they are nice enough, small and light and the IS is very effective especially on boats. I'd prefer a weather sealed model but I advent had a good enough excuse to trade up.

Serious bird watchers tend to go for Swarovski, Zeiss and one or two other excellent brands. 8x20 and 10x20 have too small apertures for light gathering and too small exit pupils. And, 8x magnifications are very easily used without worrisome image shake.
I was in B&H one time getting some cheap Nikon binoculars, just for fun I asked if I could look through the $1,400 Swarovski demo set they had. Oh my! The clarity and contrast was stunning, well worth the cost if you use binoculars much. Like the difference between a kit zoom and a new L prime...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon is doomed! They don't come with YBIS - your body image stabilization. If they can't keep your body and the sensor attached to it from shaking, IS inside the binoculars only help so much. :ROFLMAO:
Nature already took a page from Konica-Minota’s book (or do I have that backwards?) and gave us VOIS – vestibulo-ocular image stabilization.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have 10+ year old Canon IS binocs....they are still great.

Once you use image stabilized binoculars, you won't want to use "regular" ones again. I remember reading how you can see Jupiter's Galilean moons with binoculars....well, using these, you actually CAN!
I gather the 15x50s are good and stargazers like them. I use either Swarovski 8x30 or 8x32 on a neckstrap while carrying my camera and telephoto lens on a Blackrapid, and heavier bins would be too much.

Upvote 0
I have the Canon 18x50 IS binoculars and they are great - or they were, until they broke (haven't got round to seeing if they can be fixed). I've never taken to unstabilised binoculars or spotting scopes, maybe I'm too wobbly. Though if I was taking my long lens out, I found it easier to use that mostly and save the extra weight.

Upvote 0
$300 pair of Vanguard ED 8x42's for me. Not as contrasty and a bit more yellow fringing and CA than the Zeiss and Swarovski's but good value for the price. I'm way too hard on bino's to spend big $'s. Never tried IS.

I often find that if I bring bino's with me I end up spending too much time looking and not enough time shooting. Can't say how many times I've missed a great photo because I was watching through a pair of field glasses instead of a viewfinder.

Just check a big online photo retailer that we all know and they are clearing out those vanguards for a great price. Might have to pick-up a back up pair.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
have the Canon 10x30 IS Binocs for about 10 years.. still work great.. only problem I've had with them.. the rubberized coating gets sticky and makes them nearly unusable... sent them to Canon who acknowledges the defect with the rubber coating .. their estimate to repair-- nearly $400 .. madness.. got them back and Googled 'how to repair them'... finally removed it... with that said-- would I get another-- not as long as Canon puts that rubberized coating on them-- never

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
OMG that crop factor.
Well at least here canon did not crippled their binoculars and went dual lens instead of a single.
Anyway - no 24p. :(:( I gona jump ship.

--
I guess everybody is tired of these jokes.
I think I keep coming back to this forum specifically FOR these comments :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Also, they don't have dual card slots, one for each eye; therefor useless. Canon is dooooomed!

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think I keep coming back to this forum specifically FOR these comments :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Also, they don't have dual card slots, one for each eye; therefor useless. Canon is dooooomed!

Actually the R series has room for a couple of dozen cards...if you buy the drop-in filter adapter and drop your cards into that slot. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Upvote 0
I had the Swarovski 10x42. Sold it and bought the Canon 12x36 is iii. The Swarovski optics WAY better but I can just see more detail with the is. And the canon is a lot easier on my eyes as I spend many hours looking through them. Can you imagine canon is with swarovski optics ? Must be the ultimate binos.

NB. Easy to see Jupiters moons with the canon handheld. With the swarovski only it it was wedged securely on something.

Upvote 0