Canon Applies for 135mm f/2 Patent

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
You are not really going to see much in patent itself. you need to put in the glass data etc into a simulation/design software like Zemax then you'll get a result, where you'll get all those MTFs and aberrations.
Unfortunately the softwares are too expensive for me so I don't really know how to use them.
So this means you just make assumptions?
Not much more then than I do - knowing what Canon did in the past.
So maybe you and I better wait for the "real" glass, shouldn't we?

Reactions: 1 users

f119a

My Cars Always Break Down
CR Pro
Jun 18, 2013
Delaware
www.yichenhu.com
So this means you just make assumptions?
Not much more then than I do - knowing what Canon did in the past.
So maybe you and I better wait for the "real" glass, shouldn't we?
It's much better than assumption because manufactures uses the same software when they design something. I assume they wouldn't bother building a test lens if the result looks bad even on paper (to save cost of development). Simulation results of 'real lenses' seem consistent with their shooting performance too.
And result like bokeh is pretty straightforward I think.
1648084600574.png
↑ A example: Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 on Tele end
You just need to set your own reference lens for "good", "acceptable" and "bad" performance.

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It's much better than assumption because manufactures uses the same software when they design something. I assume they wouldn't bother building a test lens if the result looks bad even on paper (to save cost of development). Simulation results of 'real lenses' seem consistent with their shooting performance too.
And result like bokeh is pretty straightforward I think.
↑ A example: Tamron 70-180 f/2.8 on Tele end
You just need to set your own reference lens for "good", "acceptable" and "bad" performance.
But you don't have specific results of THAT Canon lens, do you?

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany