Canon applies for WiFi certification for a number of cameras

canonnews

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2017
852
1,401
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Nokishita Camera today released a slew of information that was obtained from wifi test data for some upcoming cameras coming out for Canon.

The details are pretty vague at this time, as is the time frame, as Nokshita notes, this could be far looking data, out up to TWO years. This doesn't mean we're looking until 2021 before mirrorless full frame is released, just that unlike the certification authority leaks with model numbers and usually assembled kit packages, this is more in advance.

Some are getting rather breathless about this; but this also may point to bodies down the road from an initial release.

K424
Interchangeable lens camera
Full sizeFull Frame
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
It is described as mirrorless image size (6720 × 4480) in the test data (since the detail column is filled with almost the same data as 5D Mark IV [K349], the image size may be a dummy possibility)
K433
Interchangeable lens camera
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
It is described as mirrorless full sizefull frame in the test data (it is the same as the data of K424, so it is possible that the initial setting data was diverted for testing)

These two cameras are suggesting that 30MP test mirrorless cameras were submitted for Wifi connection tests. These may or may not be actual cameras that even hit the shelves, however, it's further proof that Canon is actively testing and readying full frame mirrorless camera(s). If you ever had doubts that Canon was testing these cameras, you shouldn't have them now.

A bunch of other cameras also hit the WiFi certification;

K436
Lens interchangeable camera (probably single lens reflex)
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed

K437
Lens interchangeable camera (probably single lens reflex)
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
These could point to the 7D Mark III or a 90D camera or a rebel, it's nearly impossible to guess at this point in time.

There is also a bunch of compacts and what appears to be an APS-C Mirrorless. The M5 is certainly nearing replacement after the M50 was released, however, given the fact that this is in the future data that could be a year or more away, it's unknown any of these models could be current model replacement cameras.

EC801
Compact digital camera
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
EC804
Compact digital camera
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
More functions than EC 801 and EC 805 (probably G series)
EC 805
Compact digital camera
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed
EC 811
Mirror-less camera
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth installed

What do you all think? Do keep in mind, the following as Nokishita mentions;

Looking at the past data, it seems to be announced within approximately two years from the start of connection test if commercialized.
 

Punio

Make it so
Feb 10, 2018
33
34
United Kingdom
www.justinpunio.com
Decisions decisions. I don't know whether to wait for a FF Mirrorless and have no camera till then. OR get the 5D4 till then and have to lose money on the resell and even worse possibly sell the EF lens if the FF Mirrorless is a new mount.
 

BeenThere

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
1,241
667
Eastern Shore
Punio said:
Decisions decisions. I don't know whether to wait for a FF Mirrorless and have no camera till then. OR get the 5D4 till then and have to lose money on the resell and even worse possibly sell the EF lens if the FF Mirrorless is a new mount.
If you don’t already have a camera, I would get something like an inexpensive fixed lens model, say G5 X, and wait. The G5 X will still be worth keeping. $450 Refurbished available from Canon store.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
Curious to see if this stokes excitement that K424 and K433 might actually be a 5D-level mirrorless camera. (Yes, I saw the 'dummy' placeholder verbiage.)

My money would have been on something 6D-level, though possibly with an on-chip ADC sensor this time. ::)

- A
 

BeenThere

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
1,241
667
Eastern Shore
ahsanford said:
Curious to see if this stokes excitement that K424 and K433 might actually be a 5D-level mirrorless camera. (Yes, I saw the 'dummy' placeholder verbiage.)

My money would have been on something 6D-level, though possibly with an on-chip ADC sensor this time. ::)

- A
Yeah, if pros are now testing it, may be something nice.
 

Dekaner

EOS M6 Mark II
CR Pro
Apr 5, 2014
64
0
Where would a 1DX Mark III fall into this? The WiFi is a separate module, so would the camera not show here? I'm hoping that we would see it Q1 or Q2 of 2020.
 

BillB

EOS R
May 11, 2017
1,393
659
Punio said:
Decisions decisions. I don't know whether to wait for a FF Mirrorless and have no camera till then. OR get the 5D4 till then and have to lose money on the resell and even worse possibly sell the EF lens if the FF Mirrorless is a new mount.

You could buy the 5DIV refurbished from Canon quite a bit cheaper than brand new to cushion any resell hit, since it could easily be a couple of years before a mirrorless that you want more than the 5DIV hits the street. And you might decide to keep the 5DIV anyway.
 

canonnews

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2017
852
1,401
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Dekaner said:
Where would a 1DX Mark III fall into this? The WiFi is a separate module, so would the camera not show here? I'm hoping that we would see it Q1 or Q2 of 2020.

I could be wrong, but all cameras would have to go through wireless certification independently if they have WiFi included. However, the nature of the camera can be decidedly vague.

This by no means indicates that canon is not working on a 1DX Mark III, a 5Ds Mark II, a 7D Mark III or a 90D or a new rebel, or a new mirrorless or a new camera yet to be determined.

Since the 1DX Mark II doesn't have wifi included in camera, the Mark III may never show up here.

:)

it IS curious they were testing a 30MP mirrorless though, even though that really could mean nothing in the end.

Canon may be also going down to the wire with an EF mount mirrorless and a non EF mirrorless both on separate development paths, and will make a final determination closer to release.

Who knows at this point in time really. it is confirmation that the process of full frame mirrorless is indeed progressing.

IMO, trying to determine much else will drive a person mad. ;)
 

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
2,098
385
Vancouver, BC
The second line under K424: フルサイズ , which Google translates as "Full Size", means "Full Frame"

Go here: http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/itemlist.aspx?pdf_Spec113=1

You'll see フルサイズ on the filter list on the left (together with other options like APSC); when it's checked off it's all full frame cameras displayed on the right.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
Talys said:
The second line under K424: フルサイズ , which Google translates as "Full Size", means "Full Frame"

Go here: http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/itemlist.aspx?pdf_Spec113=1

You'll see フルサイズ on the filter list on the left (together with other options like APSC); when it's checked off it's all full frame cameras displayed on the right.

Yep, other sites I cannot mention due to their Voldemort-like status are saying:

K424 describes mirrorless and points to the 5D4 output resolution

K433 describes mirrorless and full frame

Top tip with all this Nokish.ita content: Google Chrome is handy. I use Firefox for almost everything, but Chrome lets you run Sling (if you are a cord-cutter) and it also has a super convenient built-in translator. I'm sure there are plug-ins for other browsers, but Chrome's is built-in and very easy to use.

- A
 

canonnews

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2017
852
1,401
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Talys said:
The second line under K424: フルサイズ , which Google translates as "Full Size", means "Full Frame"

Go here: http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/itemlist.aspx?pdf_Spec113=1

You'll see フルサイズ on the filter list on the left (together with other options like APSC); when it's checked off it's all full frame cameras displayed on the right.

updated. thanks :) added in the K436 as well that I forgot. I should know to have more coffee before posting.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
16,675
1,630
The wi-fi module generally has to be checked on a actual model. It might not have the final firmware, but any significant differences would require a new test. I don't think a dummy camera would ever get certified. The camera wi-fi modules themselves are reused over and over, but the actual installation on a camera that is physically like the final model is needed. The test needs the actual internal circuitry to make sure there is no interference.

This means that a camera is getting ready for production or likely is in production already. It takes months or longer to get molded parts and sub assemblies stocked to the point where final assembly of cameras can begin, then months more to build up inventory to the point that shipping can begin. Firmware can be updated a couple of months before shipping.

The timing seems right for a Photokina announcement and a fall ship date. Certainly, it makes sense to have them in stock in time for Christmas.

I'd expect a pent up demand so they will make a pretty large initial build.
 

jolyonralph

EOS R5 Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
1,421
928
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I think it's *highly* unlikely a 6D prosumer model will be the first released. I think it's far more likely to be a $3,000+ mark camera aimed purely at the professional market.

The fact that there are two models could simply be two different engineering tests that are being sent out on trials, but I wonder if it indicates two versions one with, and one without, AA filter. The AA filter thing does still seem to be a "marmite" type affair, with some people absolutely hating it, and some insisting on it.
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
jolyonralph said:
I think it's *highly* unlikely a 6D prosumer model will be the first released. I think it's far more likely to be a $3,000+ mark camera aimed purely at the professional market.

The fact that there are two models could simply be two different engineering tests that are being sent out on trials, but I wonder if it indicates two versions one with, and one without, AA filter. The AA filter thing does still seem to be a "marmite" type affair, with some people absolutely hating it, and some insisting on it.

Disagree. Can you name me the last time anyone started with the pro model?

I could see a pricey offering but not a professional one. They may make some RX1R / Leica Q kind of cash grab of one-percenters with a slick and expensive offering (so yes, perhaps a 5D4 sensor falls in there), but are you really expecting a comprehensive professional feature set? Right out of the gate?

- A
 

BeenThere

EOS R
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
1,241
667
Eastern Shore
jolyonralph said:
I think it's *highly* unlikely a 6D prosumer model will be the first released. I think it's far more likely to be a $3,000+ mark camera aimed purely at the professional market.

The fact that there are two models could simply be two different engineering tests that are being sent out on trials, but I wonder if it indicates two versions one with, and one without, AA filter. The AA filter thing does still seem to be a "marmite" type affair, with some people absolutely hating it, and some insisting on it.
With or without AA filter is not going to affect radiation certification. But, I guess testing authority could insist if model numbers differ.
 

jolyonralph

EOS R5 Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
1,421
928
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
ahsanford said:
Disagree. Can you name me the last time anyone started with the pro model?

I could see a pricey offering but not a professional one. They may make some RX1R / Leica Q kind of cash grab of one-percenters with a slick and expensive offering (so yes, perhaps a 5D4 sensor falls in there), but are you really expecting a comprehensive professional feature set? Right out of the gate?

- A

Perhaps I should qualify what I mean by *professional* market. I'm thinking simply photographers who in general make a living from photography rather than weekend shooters. That's a more lucrative market for Canon not because of the number of bodies sold but because of the number of higher-value lenses that are on average sold per body in that market.

1D before 10D before 300D.
5D III before 6D, 5DIV before 6DII.

The 5DIV is going to be on sale for at least another couple of years so there's no way they'll make a camera with the 5DIV sensor for *cheaper* than the 5DIV is.

Also, they don't need to. If they do a half-decent FF mirrorless that can compete with the Sony cameras then they can charge a premium for it.
 

mppix

EOS RP
Feb 13, 2018
209
177
jolyonralph said:
ahsanford said:
Disagree. Can you name me the last time anyone started with the pro model?

I could see a pricey offering but not a professional one. They may make some RX1R / Leica Q kind of cash grab of one-percenters with a slick and expensive offering (so yes, perhaps a 5D4 sensor falls in there), but are you really expecting a comprehensive professional feature set? Right out of the gate?

- A

Perhaps I should qualify what I mean by *professional* market. I'm thinking simply photographers who in general make a living from photography rather than weekend shooters. That's a more lucrative market for Canon not because of the number of bodies sold but because of the number of higher-value lenses that are on average sold per body in that market.

1D before 10D before 300D.
5D III before 6D, 5DIV before 6DII.

The 5DIV is going to be on sale for at least another couple of years so there's no way they'll make a camera with the 5DIV sensor for *cheaper* than the 5DIV is.

Also, they don't need to. If they do a half-decent FF mirrorless that can compete with the Sony cameras then they can charge a premium for it.

Respectfully, what does "professional" mean in this context? There are a lot of 6D in hands of pros.
Mirrorless has some specific advantages and disadvantages. Wouldn't a camera make the most sense that does not compete directly with the 5/6D of thiz world,maybe a better hybrid photo/video camera?
Idependent of what it is, it will have a few good things with decent ergonomics. Some pros will find ways to leverage that, especially if they get good compatibility with their lenses.
 
Sep 4, 2014
33
1
crashpc said:
6D-ish class with sensor borrowed from 5D mk IV would really make me smile. Cash waiting...

Me too.

Pity there's no special test for a tilty-flippy screen to give us a heads-up on that feature.

(I'm willing to provide this service if Canon's interested.)