Canon APS-H mirrorless rumor from the past...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2010
TTMartin said:
Interesting, the reason EF-S lenses can't fit on larger sensored cameras is because of mirror interference. With mirrorless camera obviously this isn't an issue.
Nope. EF-S lenses are having image circle for APS-C sensor. If they are used in APS-H or FF the four ccorners of the picture will be VERY blurry. Mirror is only the mechanical issue.

Upvote 0
I am not a technical sensor expert, but common sense tells me that Canon, or any other sensor maker, usually does not develop a new sensor design to result in only one size; rather, they make a new design, then go about figuring out how to best divide the resulting much bigger silicon wafers into individually sized sensors. The largest portion of development goes into the main design in the big wafer and common on-board electronics, its only any additional electronics and division size which define the finished camera-ready sensor. Therefore, if Canon designs a new sensor type, the costs to develop an "H" over a "C" size is rather trivial - really only the lesser count they are restricted to when they divide the large wafres themselves. Traditionally, the "full-frames" have been expensive because a single wafer can't yield that many acceptable 24x36mm "cuts" (not just by the factor of size alone, but also because the average flawed-to-non-flawed costs rise with fewer resulting cuts per wafer), and the "H"s were a little bit more economic, the "C"s even more so. Barring some new technology, this remains the same. Therefore, the cost of developing a "new" "H" sensor over a "C" remains very low overall, defined more by wafer yield than R&D, just as in the past.

Given the above, I don't see why an "H" sized mirrorless would be somehow disadventageous, unless it would be in the small cost difference per sensor, something which can marketed as an advantage (bigger sensor) as opposed to just a cost liability. I am not saying that this /will/ happen, only that I don't see any particular bar in Canon's way to actually doing it.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
Why buy a FF or APS-H camera and crop it down to APS-C?? Also the EF (or EF-S) adapter will cost more than the cheap Rebel kit lens. Ialso expect that the camera will cost more than any EF-S lens.

I don't know ask Nikon users as their full frame cameras have a DX setting.

More to the point, you wouldn't need an adapter if the camera was designed to take EF-S lenses in the first place. The difference in size between APS-C and APS-H isn't so great that you couldn't get a reasonable number of megapixels when using an APS-C lens on an APS-H camera.

And the reason you would want to do this is 'You already own EF-S lenses'.

Upvote 0
TTMartin said:
Rocky said:
Why buy a FF or APS-H camera and crop it down to APS-C?? Also the EF (or EF-S) adapter will cost more than the cheap Rebel kit lens. Ialso expect that the camera will cost more than any EF-S lens.

More to the point, you wouldn't need an adapter if the camera was designed to take EF-S lenses in the first place. The difference in size between APS-C and APS-H isn't so great that you couldn't get a reasonable number of megapixels when using an APS-C lens on an APS-H camera.

And the reason you would want to do this is 'You already own EF-S lenses'.

there is the potential to make the FPS higher in crop mode too since the same processors / buffer etc are dealing with less data

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
TTMartin said:
Nikon was making DX lens for a long time as a cost cutting measure. That time they do not have full frame DSLR. In fact in Nikon's catalog, it spell out DX lens is for digital only. Now Nikon has FF DSLR. that is why Nikon have to have crop mode in FF to fulfill the "digital only" promise. Also Nikon pride itself that their digital camera can use ALL SLR or DSLR lenses ever made by Nikon (with a lost of some functions). Therefore they have to offer crop mode in FF to keep the promise. Canon never have this kind of promise to the customer. EF moumt is for EF lenses only and EF-S mount id for EF-S lenses only. If you have older Canon lenses, such as R, FD, FL you are out of luck.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
Nikon was making DX lens for a long time as a cost cutting measure. That time they do not have full frame DSLR. In fact in Nikon's catalog, it spell out DX lens is for digital only. Now Nikon has FF DSLR. that is why Nikon have to have crop mode in FF to fulfill the "digital only" promise. Also Nikon pride itself that their digital camera can use ALL SLR or DSLR lenses ever made by Nikon (with a lost of some functions). Therefore they have to offer crop mode in FF to keep the promise. Canon never have this kind of promise to the customer. EF moumt is for EF lenses only and EF-S mount id for EF-S lenses only. If you have older Canon lenses, such as R, FD, FL you are out of luck.

That's ok, as a Canon user I can use all those old manual focus Nikon lenses too. So I'm not worried about using 30+ year old Canon R, FD, or FL mount lenses.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
TTMartin said:
[
More to the point, you wouldn't need an adapter if the camera was designed to take EF-S lenses in the first place.

Do you want to have a 48mm thick body in a mirrorless and cannot use the vintage lenses from Leica, canon etc ???Pentax has done that for the mirroless K-01.

As an apparent Nikon user, I'm not sure you understand the EF/EF-S mount.
Canon has an EF/EF-S mount, or an EF mount.
There isn’t an EF-S only mount

Upvote 0
There are some things about this rumor that don't line up. One of the stated motivations for APS-H mirrorless was to share the R&D costs with the 1D4, which we know isn't happening. We also have to keep in mind that the rumor is 2 years old, and a lot can change in 2 years.

"Canon develop a new 1.3x sensor for the 1D series every few years and no other camera shared the R&D cost with the 1D before, but this time round the 16MP sensor of 1D4 will have a new use."

Read more on PhotoRumors.com: http://photorumors.com/2010/06/09/canon-aps-h-1-3x-mirrorless/#ixzz1y9kpkACX

The only thing of relevance that I gathered from this particular rumor is the possible motivation to share the R&D costs of APS-H with another body (actually it would be mfg costs too...) Anyway, If that motivation is still valid, it seems to lend evidence to some DSLR APS-H body along with an APS-H mirrorless.

On the flip side -- another theme that came out of this rumor is that Canon didn't put H into the 7D because of the 'missing UWA' problem. That contradicts the objective of sharing with a DSLR body, since doing so would perpetuate the missing UWA problem, not solve it. So the only plausible extract from this rumor, imho is:

1. Canon sees no hope for a sensor ISO/noise breakthrough, in the near future, and commits to APS-H as a sensor technology in mirrorless. Moreover, Canon designs their Mirrorless lenses around this format.

2. Canon continues APS-H in a one-off DSLR body for sports/wildlife, i.e. a successor to the 1D4 under a different name that is not a 1 or a 7. Either that, or that one-off sports body is not a DSLR at all, it is a mirrorless that accommodates the EF mount lenses, and can shoot 20fps

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
dlleno said:
There are some things about this rumor that don't line up. One of the stated motivations for APS-H mirrorless was to share the R&D costs with the 1D4, which we know isn't happening. We also have to keep in mind that the rumor is 2 years old, and a lot can change in 2 years.

I tried to bring some sanity to this earlier but my post was deleted. Apparently some people can't handle the truth.

This is a two-year-old rumor based on an e-mail that Photo Rumors guy received. No doubt, Canon Rumors Guy had access to the same information but it never showed up on this site, even as a CR-1.

The rumor precedes the announcement by Canon that it has merged the 1D lines into a single full frame body. That decision solves the problem of having orphaned R&D costs.

The rumor talks about this mysterious APS-H mirrorless camera being released soon. It takes quite a leap of faith to think that "soon" hasn't come and gone over the last two years.

If people want to search the Internet for outdated rumors and then speculate on them that's their prerogative. But, please understand that the likelihood of this materializing is roughly equivalent to finding Elvis working at a gas station in Birmingham, England.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
TTMartin said:
Rocky said:
TTMartin said:
[
More to the point, you wouldn't need an adapter if the camera was designed to take EF-S lenses in the first place.

Do you want to have a 48mm thick body in a mirrorless and cannot use the vintage lenses from Leica, canon etc ???Pentax has done that for the mirroless K-01.

As an apparent Nikon user, I'm not sure you understand the EF/EF-S mount.
Canon has an EF/EF-S mount, or an EF mount.
There isn’t an EF-S only mount

Your statement has got nothing to do with what you have quoted. What are you trying to do here??? Do you still want a 50mm thick mirrorless body??? I am well aware that there is no EF-S mount ONLY on the camera body. The EF-S/EF mount on the camera is to allow APS-C user to be able to use ether the EF mount lenses or the cost cutting EF-S lenses.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
dlleno said:

I tried to bring some sanity to this earlier but my post was deleted. Apparently some people can't handle the truth.

This is a two-year-old rumor based on an e-mail that Photo Rumors guy received. No doubt, Canon Rumors Guy had access to the same information but it never showed up on this site, even as a CR-1.

The rumor precedes the announcement by Canon that it has merged the 1D lines into a single full frame body. That decision solves the problem of having orphaned R&D costs.

The rumor talks about this mysterious APS-H mirrorless camera being released soon. It takes quite a leap of faith to think that "soon" hasn't come and gone over the last two years.

If people want to search the Internet for outdated rumors and then speculate on them that's their prerogative. But, please understand that the likelihood of this materializing is roughly equivalent to finding Elvis working at a gas station in Birmingham, England.

+1 I enjoy speculation as much as anyone, but it isn't worth firing any more neurons at this one.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:

The truth can take a grimly narrow focus around here sometimes. I wonder if poor ebay sales may often have some influence on the peckishness.

More to the point, there are some folks here who simply cannot get over that APS-H sensor. Perhaps 10 years from now all the ills of the world will be attributable to taking the non-APS-H path. "In the old days we rode horses everywhere and had the APS-H sensor for perfect pictures! Where did we go wrong!!?"

Canon is taking us all for a ride straight to hell on a metal oxode semiconductor!

The End IS Near...

The End IS Near..........

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.