Canon BG-E2N battery grip stuck on 50D body, how I got it off and fixed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marquis

Recently while using a BG-E2N battery grip on a 50D I had a problem removing it, the wheel would turn but the grip would not budge. :(
It would seem that over time I had been over tightening the dial lock and had manage to strip the plastic gears from it. :-[
I did a search on the net and found it to be a common problem with canon grips, although information on getting the grip off was not so common..... :eek:

The following is break down of how I got it off and repaired for minimal costs

Disclaimer: this article is only intended for general information purposes only and does not constitute advice or substitute advice of an appropriately qualified professional

grip_front001.jpg

From what information I could find on the net it would seem that making a hole in the locking wheel was the best/ least destructive way of getting the grip off. :-\
I use a miniature pair of wire cutters and made a small hole in the wheel which exposed the metal gears inside the grip.

grip_front01.jpg

grip_back01.jpg

At first I tried to use a small screw driver to turn the gears within the grip but could not get the gearing to turn, a closer look revealed that some of the plastic gears teeth had gotten stuck within the metal gears.
Once I had cleaned out the gears with a needle I was able to turn the gears and remove the grip easily with a small screw driver.

grip_front02.jpg

grip_back02.jpg

Now that the grip was off I could relax.... a little, I still needed to see the what was damaged and if it could be repaired.
The first thing that needed to be removed was a cover plate at the top of the grip which was held on by 5 short screws and 4 long screws.

grip_top01.jpg

Once the cover plate was removed the Dial assembly was exposed (part # CY1-4313-000)

grip_top02.jpg

There are 8 screws holding dial assembly to the grip, 5 which screw into brass and 3 of which have slightly thicker threads as they screw into plastic.

grip_top03.jpg

grip_top04.jpg

With the dial assembly unscrewed I was able to access the plastic wheel by removing a small plate that held it in place.

grip_top05.jpg

In the ideal world I would have been able to purchase just the plastic dial but Canon only sale the whole dial assembly..... :(.
Searched the net and the only place I could find that sold the part was USCamera http://www.uscamera.com/index.htm
Ordered the part for $36.13 USD which converted to £22.64 GBP. It was delivered within 2 weeks, great service from USCamera.com! 8)

dial_ass_01.jpg

dial_ass_02.jpg

dial_ass_03.jpg

I was planning on removing the dial from the new assembly and fitting it to the old assembly to save time, but I noticed that when I had used a screwdriver to remove the grip I had made some small but noticeable scratches on the original gearing that might damage the new dial. :mad:
I decided to fit the whole new assembly just in case, which unfortunately meant that I would have un-solder/ re-solder the power cables that pass through a hole in the dial assembly. There is also a small ribbon cable that passed through it but could be unplugged. :eek:

grip_top06.jpg

Had to be very careful when using the soldering iron on the power cables as the was little play with the cables and there was a ribbon cable close by....... :-\

Once the soldering was done it was just a case of reassembling the grip and attaching it to my camera for testing, although I didn’t tighten the dial too much this time....

dial_ass_04.jpg

The Canon grip is a well made piece of kit it just a shame that the silly plastic dial lets it down.... :'(

If I had to do it again I would make sure I used some tape over the end of the screw driver or used a wooden matchstick to turn the gears, this would have prevented the damage to the gears and would have save the cable soldering, oh well you live and learn...... ::)

Disclaimer: this article is only intended for general information purposes only and does not constitute advice or substitute advice of an appropriately qualified professional

Status
Not open for further replies.