Canon celebrates 16th consecutive year of Number 1 share of global interchangeable-lens digital camera market

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 27 March 2019 – Canon Inc. today announces that the company’s interchangeable-lens digital cameras (digital SLR and mirrorless cameras) have maintained the No. 1 share of the global market for 16 consecutive years from 2003 to 2018.
Canon develops the key imaging system components featured in its EOS series of interchangeable-lens cameras – CMOS image sensors, image processors and interchangeable lenses – under the core concept of ‘Speed, Comfort and High Image Quality’. Incorporating a wide-ranging product lineup – from high-performance flagship models that are highly trusted by professionals to entry-level models that allow users to enjoy high image quality shooting with easy operation – Canon continues to support the diverse needs of customers.

In 2003, the dawn of digital SLR cameras, Canon introduced its breakthrough EOS 300D. This groundbreaking camera, which was competitively priced and featured a compact, lightweight design...

Continue reading...

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Very disappointed. The trolls seem to be sleeping in today.
Canon may still be number one for market share, but their overall sales numbers are slipping. In the meantime, Olympus sales of FF cameras are holding steady. This proves that Canon is doomed. DOOMED! Doomed I tells ya..... DOOMED!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

I mean, you'd think that someone at Canon would've gotten the memo by now...

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Curious, which product lines are most responsible? My understanding is that the FFSLRs have been slipping a bit due to apparent lack of innovation, esp. IBIS?

Also are your figures month by month or year by year? I feel that the announcement of the MILFFs is probably actually HURTING sales in the short-term as people suddenly wonder that the EF line may be short for the world, but also wonder if RF is a flash in the pan as EFM was.
If there was a prize for conveying the most misinformation in a succinct, well-written post, you’d win it. Not that that’s something of which you should be proud.

Sales of all digital cameras are dropping, industry-wide. Compact cameras have seen a y/y drop of ~20%, ILCs have dropped in the high single-digit percentage. Canon’s unit sales match those drops. Overall, they have maintained their market share that approaches 50% for ILCs.

Per BCN, Canon sold more FF ILCs in Japan last year (the only geographic market for which we have this sort of data) than any other manufacturer... so you’re ‘understanding’ regarding FF ILC’s is rather a lack thereof.

The EF-M line ‘was a flash in the pan’? The EOS M line is the globally best selling MILC line, but the system lenses are ‘a flash in the pan’? Apparently we also need a prize for mind-boggling obtuseness.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Curious, which product lines are most responsible? My understanding is that the FFSLRs have been slipping a bit due to apparent lack of innovation, esp. IBIS?

DSLR sales may have declined, but there is no evidence it has anything to do with the "causes" you state (apparent lack of innovation, esp. IBIS)

DSLRs are now a mature market. All products see a sales decline as a market matures. This is a just a normal sales curve. The companies most at risk are those that jump into a market hoping to cash in on the rush to adopt a new technology and then find they don't have the resources to sustain the business as the market returns to more normal levels. Obviously Canon is not in that position. A highly niche feature like IBIS has nothing to do with it.

As Neuro often says, you are making the classic mistake of assuming that just because there is a feature you personally want that is not currently available, that doesn't mean others care or that it drives sales in any significant way.

As to the first part of your statement, of course the consumer oriented lines are most responsible. What is significant here is that while there has been an overall erosion of those lines with point-and-shoot cameras largely being replaced by cell phones, Canon has been able to maintain it's number one position in a very fluid market. That speaks to their overall ability to innovate and target the market with products consumers want, even as the market shifts under their feet.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How many lenses over the entire product line history for EF-M vs., say, for the just the first year of the RF mount or first year of the EF for that matter?

That said, I'll agree "flash in the pan" does the EF-M line a disservice. Given Canon's lack of even one really portable R lens announcement, the EF-M probably IS pencilled in to continue forward for a while. However successful small-sensor MILs have been, though, they're now being squeezed with advancing smartphones below and the MILFFs above. It may be that Canon's choice of a film-flange for the RF system that disallows EF-M lenses may be an attempt to keep the EF-M bodies selling.
How many lenses over the entire product line history for EF-S vs., say, for the EF line? The APS-C DSLRs are what made Canon #1, and they are still the biggest-selling segment of the ILC market. Since the launch of the EOS M, Canon has released more EF-M lenses than EF-S, EF-M has gotten duplicated lenses first (e.g. the 28mm Macro), and there's never been an EF-S lens to match the EF-M 32/1.4, a lens which approaches the L-series in image quality.

But clearly, RF is the place for higher-end lenses, since the EOS M line is targeted at consumer-level buyers.

I have to question the logic of your last statement – Canon wants to keep EOS M bodies from selling? As I stated, the EOS M is the best-selling MILC line globally. Suggesting that Canon is trying to keep them from selling is like saying you don't want your own left leg.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So Canon's not down, percentage-wise, in FF SLRs, more than other brands? If that's what you're saying its good to hear. If that's not what what you're saying, then what is your explanation?
Let's try this again. Canon sold more FF ILCs last year than any other manufacturer. Say it with me: "Canon sold more FF ILCs last year than any other manufacturer." Got it, now?

Note that Canon's FF ILC sales may still have dropped (likely did) as part of the overall market contraction. But, once last time, Canon sold more FF ILCs last year than any other manufacturer.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
[IBIS is] hardly niche here on Earth. 7 out of every 10 posts I see discussing system vs. system site it.
Fine, people on the Internet are discussing it. Canon ILCs don't have IBIS. Canon sells more ILCs than any other manufacturer, and has done so for 16 years and counting. Half of all ILCs sold are made by Canon, and none have IBIS. Another quarter of ILCs sold are made by Nikon, and only two of them have IBIS, and that's only been true for the past 6 months.

So, to sum up. 7 out of every 10 posts you see discussing system vs. system cite IBIS. Over 7 out of 10 ILCs sold don't have IBIS. Therefore, IBIS is not important for the vast majority of consumers. Period.

Upvote 0