Canon CPS Irvine Experience

Steve Todd

Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
Jul 20, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
I have read several posts on CR from people that said they had experienced problems with the Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine, CA. Well, I don't believe it's just me, but I have never been anything but completely satisfied with the folks at Irvine. I've used them for over 16-years now and they never fail to amaze me with their excellent customer service, and professional product repair/clean & check procedures.

Although I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I make several trips out to the coast each year. The Canon Irvine facility is located just 20min. from where my Daughter lives, making it very convenient for me to drop my gear off and get it serviced while I enjoy the great California weather. Additionally, I save a bunch on shipping and insurance costs this way too!

On my trip out there last week, I needed to have my 1DX and 1D4 bodies cleaned and checked. The 1D4 also required adjustment, as it took a large amount of MFA (-10 to -16) on most of my telephoto lenses to attain sharp focus! I had never checked this fully, as I had a second 1D4 that I used almost exclusively and only used wide-angle lenses with this body. Although the body was obuiously in "as new" condition and the shutter actuation count was exactly 1,000, I was informed that there would be a service fee ($100+) for that body.

Lesson learned, always fully check new bodies thoroughly before the warrantee expires! Fortunately for me, after reviewing my CPS account and discussing the issue with CPS management, they performed the service at no charge. Additionally, they completed work on my bodies well ahead of the projected three-day turn around. They certainly didn't have to do all this for me, but they did! Just one more example where the Canon Irvine folks went above and beyond for one of their customers.

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Steve Todd said:
I have read several posts on CR from people that said they had experienced problems with the Canon Factory Service Center in Irvine, CA. Well, I don't believe it's just me, but I have never been anything but completely satisfied with the folks at Irvine. I've used them for over 16-years now and they never fail to amaze me with their excellent customer service, and professional product repair/clean & check procedures.

Although I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I make several trips out to the coast each year. The Canon Irvine facility is located just 20min. from where my Daughter lives, making it very convenient for me to drop my gear off and get it serviced while I enjoy the great California weather. Additionally, I save a bunch on shipping and insurance costs this way too!

On my trip out there last week, I needed to have my 1DX and 1D4 bodies cleaned and checked. The 1D4 also required adjustment, as it took a large amount of MFA (-10 to -16) on most of my telephoto lenses to attain sharp focus! I had never checked this fully, as I had a second 1D4 that I used almost exclusively and only used wide-angle lenses with this body. Although the body was obuiously in "as new" condition and the shutter actuation count was exactly 1,000, I was informed that there would be a service fee ($100+) for that body.

Lesson learned, always fully check new bodies thoroughly before the warrantee expires! Fortunately for me, after reviewing my CPS account and discussing the issue with CPS management, they performed the service at no charge. Additionally, they completed work on my bodies well ahead of the projected three-day turn around. They certainly didn't have to do all this for me, but they did! Just one more example where the Canon Irvine folks went above and beyond for one of their customers.

Thanksssss, Dear Steve.
Thanks for your post, which we can learn from you. " Lesson learned, always fully check new bodies thoroughly before the warrantee expires! "---That is a great IDEA.
I have very luck with CPS in NewYork, 6 years ago, My Shutter Diaphragm system of 1DS are broken after 320,000 Shots, And They replace the whole Shutter system for me with in 4 days , and = $ 450 US Dollars, And Plus Cleaning and Tune-Up my camera body. After that It work like new again until to day = 275,000 Shots---Still keep on working.
Have a great weekend, Sir.
Surapon

Upvote 0
I always send new equipment to CPS for a warranty service shortly after I buy it. I have found that almost all new lenses or bodies I send to them need some sort of adjustment coming out of the factory.

On another note. I use the Newport News, Virginia service facility. They have been excellent to deal with. They are only about a 2.5 hour drive from my office. Sometimes I will just do a road trip to take equipment in to them. Frequently I will get an email on the way home that the repairs have been completed and the item shipped out before I get home. They really seem to treat CPS Platinum members right.

Upvote 0