Canon developing world-first ultra-high-sensitivity ILC equipped with SPAD sensor, supporting precise monitoring through clear color image capture ...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
TOKYO, April 3, 2023—Canon Inc. announced today that the company is developing the MS-500, the world’s first1 ultra-high-sensitivity interchangeable-lens camera (ILC) equipped with a 1.0 inch Single Photon Avalanche Diode (SPAD) sensor2 featuring the world’s highest pixel count of 3.2 megapixels3. The camera leverages the special characteristics of SPAD sensors to achieve superb low-light performance while also

See full article...

Apr 25, 2011
Finally!!!
I'm waiting for years for some real products/applications regarding SPAD sensors.
I can and will wait some more years for purchasing my first, say, 12MP SPAD EOS R camera...
No more noise, no more staked photos, theoretically extrem high dynamic range, at least 16bit but hoping for 20bit or more....
If it's single photon sensor, it has 1bit native DR ("on" or "off"). The rest is computational photography.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Finally!!!
I'm waiting for years for some real products/applications regarding SPAD sensors.
I can and will wait some more years for purchasing my first, say, 12MP SPAD EOS R camera...
No more noise, no more staked photos, theoretically extrem high dynamic range, at least 16bit but hoping for 20bit or more....
SPAD might just reset the megapixel race.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
As that sensor should capture a lot of light, I wonder why it is so small. 1 inch is a sensor size for smartphones. Is the reason that a long tele range is needed and the camera would become too big and heavy with a full frame or even larger sensor?
That is a large as Canon could make it with the current technology and Canon is ahead of everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If it's single photon sensor, it has 1bit native DR ("on" or "off"). The rest is computational photography.
Interesting view. As the sensor actually counts photons precisely, I would say that the DR is limited by only by the (statistical) photon noise, the read noise is 0. So DR at pixel level only depends on the number of photons received in each pixel. There may be a limit to how fast a SPAD sensor can count the photons, though, which affects bright light situations.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
ΔEΔt ≥ ћ ?
I suppose that is the hard limit. But I would guess that the avalanche effect is not instantaneous and the pulse generated has some width. Canon quotes time resolution 100 ps. I guess someone could calculate what that means in terms of number of photons at various EV levels for certain sized pixels, taking into account the Poisson distribution of arriving photons, but I am too old for that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Those wishing for a camera with a SPAD sensor maybe don't quite understand what they are wishing for. Historically, avalanche detectors are very sensitive, but they also add their own noise due to stray collisions in the avalanche process. The consequence is that they are very sensitive measuring a small number of photons, but as the photon count increases, so does the noise floor, resulting a very poor S/N at higher illumintion levels. I doubt that this sensor will be significantly different in that respect. Such a sensor is very useful for identification in dark places, but far from ideal in normal illumination situations.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Those wishing for a camera with a SPAD sensor maybe don't quite understand what they are wishing for. Historically, avalanche detectors are very sensitive, but they also add their own noise due to stray collisions in the avalanche process. The consequence is that they are very sensitive measuring a small number of photons, but as the photon count increases, so does the noise floor, resulting a very poor S/N at higher illumintion levels. I doubt that this sensor will be significantly different in that respect. Such a sensor is very useful for identification in dark places, but far from ideal in normal illumination situations.
Don't know. Don't care. Doesn't matter. This is the latest sensor tech. If Canon doesn't release a camera with a high MP SPAD sensor, fast frame rate, octapixel AF, dual matching card slots, IBIS, pixel shift with RAW output, and costing under $2000 then Sony will beat them to it and Canon will be d00med.

• Haha
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Don't know. Don't care. Doesn't matter. This is the latest sensor tech. If Canon doesn't release a camera with a high MP SPAD sensor, fast frame rate, octapixel AF, dual matching card slots, IBIS, pixel shift with RAW output, and costing under $2000 then Sony will beat them to it and Canon will be d00med.
"costing under $2000"?! 1000$ or I'm out!!!!:mad:

Upvote 0