CR Pro
Mar 19, 2012
The Most Ancient Kingdom of Denmark
Last edited:

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
A S/N is required for DPP downloads, yes. Does it need to be an R3 serial number for this version? I suspect the S/N from any supported camera would work (but I haven’t tried downloading this new version yet).

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
You definitely need the R3 because to download the software you need the camera's serial number....
As expected, any supported camera's serial number does the job. I entered my EOS R serial number, and am now running v4.15.20 that supports the EOS R3. But I still need that R3...

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
You can also update from inside DPP4 with the 'check for updates' item (at least on MacOs). 4.15.20 has been out for a while, since I already had it installed. I received a 'no updates available' message and then checked the about dialog, which showed 4.15.20 :)

kaihp

EOS R
CR Pro
Mar 19, 2012
As expected, any supported camera's serial number does the job. I entered my EOS R serial number, and am now running v4.15.20 that supports the EOS R3. But I still need that R3...
I have also found that any valid serial number works to download (any) new version of the DPP. Previously I've used the S/N's for my 5D3 and the 1Dx, and both have always worked. I cannot recall if the S/Ns of the 10D and 50D worked as well :unsure:

Antono Refa

EOS R
Mar 26, 2014
You definitely need the R3 because to download the software you need the camera's serial number....
It would make no sense to require R3 serial number, as this version has R3 support added. Why block download to serial numbers of cameras of any previously supported model?

Beside, I downloaded it with my 5DmkIV serial.

bainsybike

EOS 90D
Jun 13, 2011
Well I've just updated through "Check for Updates" from within DPP4, and didn't require a serial number at all.

kaihp

EOS R
CR Pro
Mar 19, 2012
Well I've just updated through "Check for Updates" from within DPP4, and didn't require a serial number at all.
Correct. It's only when you go to download a 'full' release from the Canon support website that it requires a valid serial number.

I don't quite understand why they ask for it, because it's easy enough to find one floating on the net or digging it out of the EXIF from a suitable camera.