Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM

Dec 1, 2012
Four pictures to show what the lens can deliver. Shot with a 6D.

I guess that I don't need to present the subject of the first one! I liked the light passing through the clouds. 70 mm, f/8.

The second one was shot using the macro mode. Classic cat photo but I find it nice and very sharp. I was very close to the cat. ISO3200.

The third one is a weird building. I wanted to increase the feeling of strangeness. Tack sharp! A bit cropped. 44mm and f/8.

The fourth one was taken handheld at ISO3200, 24mm and f/4. I am pretty impressed with both the ISO capabilities of the 6D and the stabilization of the lens.

Attachments

Sep 18, 2013
zeherfoto.com
Recently picked one up because I damaged my 24-105L. Managed to sell it, and put the money towards a rebated 24-70L f/4.

Gotta say, it's definitely nice. These photos have been post-processed, but figured I'd post them anyway.

Attachments

lycan

EOS M6 Mark II
Jun 28, 2013
Sporgon said:
Shot with 6D + 24-70 f4L @ 40 mil. A hand held five frame panoramic.

A really good lens, sharper across the frame than the 24-105, small and compact, feels like a large prime on the 6D, but looses the 80-105. Hmmmmm..............................................
Nice photo

Sporgon, if you had to pick one which one would you choose? 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/4?

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
lycan said:
Sporgon said:

A really good lens, sharper across the frame than the 24-105, small and compact, feels like a large prime on the 6D, but looses the 80-105. Hmmmmm..............................................
Nice photo

Sporgon, if you had to pick one which one would you choose? 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/4?
Thanks Lycan.

That is a tricky question, made all the more difficult by the fact the 24-105 can be bought so much cheaper despite the RRP being similar.

If I wanted a general purpose zoom that was relatively small and had IS to give me as close to prime quality as was feasible, and I was shooting pictures made up of a single frame (which most people are) I would be willing to loose the extra focal length and cash and get the 24-70 f4 L.

However if I intended to use primes for critical, planned work, and use the zoom as a 'walk about', more casual lens I would go for the 24-105 and gain extra length and cash in my pocket. I might add that vertically shot stitched frames with the 24-105 @ about f8 are as good as any other lens, certainly in the print anyway.

Albi86

EOS R
Apr 24, 2012
RLPhoto said:
Albi86 said:
RLPhoto said:
I don't expect this gallery to be very large.
If you buy it in a white box it's only around 20% more expensive that a 24-105mm.
It'd been 9 months and only a handful of images.
Because it makes limited sense to replace a 24-105 with it, if you already have one. It's only new buyers who might prefer it. Apparently there aren't many buzzing around here, as of now.

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Albi86 said:
RLPhoto said:
Albi86 said:
RLPhoto said:
If you buy it in a white box it's only around 20% more expensive that a 24-105mm.
It'd been 9 months and only a handful of images.
Because it makes limited sense to replace a 24-105 with it, if you already have one. It's only new buyers who might prefer it. Apparently there aren't many buzzing around here, as of now.
Thus why I don't expect this gallery to be very large.

lycan

EOS M6 Mark II
Jun 28, 2013
Sporgon said:
lycan said:
Sporgon said:

Nice photo

Thanks Lycan.

That is a tricky question, made all the more difficult by the fact the 24-105 can be bought so much cheaper despite the RRP being similar.

If I wanted a general purpose zoom that was relatively small and had IS to give me as close to prime quality as was feasible, and I was shooting pictures made up of a single frame (which most people are) I would be willing to loose the extra focal length and cash and get the 24-70 f4 L.

However if I intended to use primes for critical, planned work, and use the zoom as a 'walk about', more casual lens I would go for the 24-105 and gain extra length and cash in my pocket. I might add that vertically shot stitched frames with the 24-105 @ about f8 are as good as any other lens, certainly in the print anyway.
I see.. well I want a general purpose zoom as a 'walk about' and I don't have primes in that ranged except the pancake and I won't be doing any frame stiching.

I guess the only factor is price, because the better choice in my case seems to be the 24-70 f4L

mr_hyde

EOS M50
Dec 1, 2013
mrhyde.spdns.eu
This lens is great. I agree to others and would not pay the regular price for this lens. But I got a deal for $879 after mail in rebate and I do not regret it. I also own the 100 F/2.8 L macro, but on my recent trip the macro function of the 24-70 F/4 was useful as I hesitated to switch lenses at the beach.

Attached picture was taken with the lens and Singh Ray Vario Duo filter at max attached.

Attachments

bholliman

EOS R
Dec 6, 2012
USA
www.flickr.com
Sporgon said:
RLPhoto said:

Don't be too sure of that RL, this is a cracking lens, all be it loo expensive at the moment.
This lens was too expensive when released, but has been available under $1k recently, which makes it a decent value. I borrowed one from a friend to try out for an afternoon and really liked it. I used to own a 24-105 and currently have a 24-70 2.8 II. I like the small size and close-up capabilities of the 24-70 f/4 IS. The 2.8II feels twice as heavy... t's also sharper with less distortion at the important 24mm end than the 24-015.

I expect the street price to drop further so it approaches the 24-105 prices. When that happens, there will be lots more of these around, and more pictures in this gallery.

Nice shots Sporgon!